G&R Tactical

Thread: PSA 22lr Upper- Jams and the Charging handle?

Feedback Score

PSA 22lr Upper- Jams and the Charging handle?

Those frickn' PSA emails get me everytime. Ended up with a PSA 22LR upper.

1. Works OK with older Black Dog mags. Usually locks back, but when I drop the mag the bolt goes forward. I guess it is a 'hold back' not a 'lock back'?

2. Getting more than a few 'ejected' rounds getting caught between the upper guide rod/spring and the charging handle. Nasty jams. I see online there are dedicated charging handles where the space where the gas tube goes is solid. The guide rod and spring are below this and with out a gas system, not gas tube. Seems is this were solid, it would reduce jams. Designed a new charging handle to 3D print, but would degreasing the CH and filling in the gas tube void area with some jb weld or something keep the jams down? I think I saw something online for these 22 conv kit based uppers. Or does the ejector need to be tuned?

Other than those jams, it ran pretty well. It was just a jam per mag, and you need a pliers or knife to get the round out. My son has a M&P15-22 and I bought a 6 target dueling tree from MGM. Need to get the jams figured out, or he's is really going to kick my ass.
    I just did two lines of powdered wig powder, cranked up some Lee Greenwood, and recited the BoR. - Outlander Systems

I'm a professional WAGer - WillBrink /// "Comey is a smarmy, self righteous mix of J. Edgar Hoover and a gay Lurch from the "Adams Family"." -Averageman

Feedback Score
    JB Weld or RTV should work very well to stop the jams. There is a thread on The Other Site that should help you get things straightened out.
    Under Ar15- Rimfire and pistol calibers- Important rimfire threads- How to make your AR 22 run smoother.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    CMMG sells a charging handle for their 22lr uppers designed specifically to address the jamming issue. As Ggro says, it's something you can duplicate by filling in a Milspec Chg Hdl.

If you want the bolt catch to function the same as a centerfire AR, Boonie Packer makes an adapter (again for use with CMMG 22lr uppers) called the "Better Mag Adapter" that uses S&W M&P-15/22 magazines and allows them to actuate the lower's bolt catch when empty. It's just under $50 and I've had no issues with it in my 22lr AR build around a CMMG upper.

https://www.redi-mag.com/index.php?l...ct_detail&p=52

The PSA bolt appears to be a copy of the Atchisson/Ciener design, the same as the CMMG, so it's likely the adapter would function the same.

Feedback Score
    "1. Works OK with older Black Dog mags."

Does that mean other mags are being used when you get malfunctions?