Thread: PSA 22lr Upper- Jams and the Charging handle?

Feedback Score

PSA 22lr Upper- Jams and the Charging handle?

Those frickn' PSA emails get me everytime. Ended up with a PSA 22LR upper.

1. Works OK with older Black Dog mags. Usually locks back, but when I drop the mag the bolt goes forward. I guess it is a 'hold back' not a 'lock back'?

2. Getting more than a few 'ejected' rounds getting caught between the upper guide rod/spring and the charging handle. Nasty jams. I see online there are dedicated charging handles where the space where the gas tube goes is solid. The guide rod and spring are below this and with out a gas system, not gas tube. Seems is this were solid, it would reduce jams. Designed a new charging handle to 3D print, but would degreasing the CH and filling in the gas tube void area with some jb weld or something keep the jams down? I think I saw something online for these 22 conv kit based uppers. Or does the ejector need to be tuned?

Other than those jams, it ran pretty well. It was just a jam per mag, and you need a pliers or knife to get the round out. My son has a M&P15-22 and I bought a 6 target dueling tree from MGM. Need to get the jams figured out, or he's is really going to kick my ass.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    JB Weld or RTV should work very well to stop the jams. There is a thread on The Other Site that should help you get things straightened out.
    Under Ar15- Rimfire and pistol calibers- Important rimfire threads- How to make your AR 22 run smoother.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    CMMG sells a charging handle for their 22lr uppers designed specifically to address the jamming issue. As Ggro says, it's something you can duplicate by filling in a Milspec Chg Hdl.

If you want the bolt catch to function the same as a centerfire AR, Boonie Packer makes an adapter (again for use with CMMG 22lr uppers) called the "Better Mag Adapter" that uses S&W M&P-15/22 magazines and allows them to actuate the lower's bolt catch when empty. It's just under $50 and I've had no issues with it in my 22lr AR build around a CMMG upper.

https://www.redi-mag.com/index.php?l...ct_detail&p=52

The PSA bolt appears to be a copy of the Atchisson/Ciener design, the same as the CMMG, so it's likely the adapter would function the same.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    "1. Works OK with older Black Dog mags."

Does that mean other mags are being used when you get malfunctions?

Feedback Score
    Yep, finally got a CH mod'd and got to the range. The upper still isn't perfect, but it works prettty well. I really don't judge a 22lr till I get a few hundred rounds through it to smooth things out.

I referenced older mags (10years?) just in case they have addressed the issue with newer ones.

I am having issues with my older (that's all I have) Black Dog mags catching on the mag catch and not inserting. Really weird.

$50 is a good headstart on a M&P15-22, especially if you have to use M&P 15-22 mags. I got the PSA upper because I had a bunch of Black Dog mags.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by FromMyColdDeadHand View Post

$50 is a good headstart on a M&P15-22, especially if you have to use M&P 15-22 mags. I got the PSA upper because I had a bunch of Black Dog mags.
    If you already have a bunch of Black Dog mags I can see how the mag adapter might not be attractive.

I went with it because I was starting form scratch and prefer the M&P 15-22 mags because of the way they play with the bolt catch, but I didn't want a polymer 15-22. The M&P mags and adapter allow the bolt catch in the lower to function the same as it would with a centerfire upper - the bolt stays locked back when the mag is removed, and can be released by pushing the bolt catch after a mag is inserted - instead of just being held back by the magazine follower as with the Black Dog/CMMG mags. And the M&P mags are easier to load.
    Last edited by Tx_Aggie; 06-02-19 at 10:52.

Feedback Score
    I got one of those 22lr speed loaders... a box of ammo is sooooo easy to get thru now. Black dog and M&P15-22 adaptors- even one for the M&P 22lr pistol.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Are your old Black Dog mags the ones where the exposed part is skinny? Or do they look like a polymer 30rd?

Either way it may be worthwhile contacting them. If it is the skinny stick mags(and same as Ceiner Atchisson compatible ones) filing a bit off the tops of the feed lips (too high causing the bolt to rub and slow down) is what they advised me to try (they were willing to replace either way). It fixed the issue with the Black Dog and also with metal Ceiners I had used for years with so so reliability.
    Last edited by jsbhike; 03-26-20 at 08:12.

Feedback Score
    Finally got the Bonnie packer Mod and some cleaned SW mags out to the range with a charging handle with some JB weld in the groove to prevent rounds from getting jammed between the CH and the bolt.

Ran a couple of hundred rounds through it this last weekend. Nice. Not a single jam on ejection like I was getting on the standard CH. Really like the gun now. Can run it on any lower I want and the feel and balance is right. I had bought one of those recent SW MP15-22 with the crappy green sight. It feels like a toy. Plus no issues with locking back on the empty mag with the Boonie Packer and SW mags.

God I love shooting 22lr.

And again, if you shoot 22lr, get yourself one of those 22lr loaders. We'll, do it if you have a lot of ammo. A couple of boxes are easy to go through when shooting timed drills or dueling trees...

This is the one I have:
    https://www.mcfaden.com/product-p/lightnin-grip.htm

Last edited by FromMyColdDeadHand; 03-26-20 at 01:35.

It's that simple.