Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Building first AR in NJ. Have some questions

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex V View Post
    Buying a complete rifle from a quality brand in NJ is difficult. BCM and DD won't offer compliant rifles so you have to rely on the FFL to pin the stock and weld the muzzle brake on. Not all FFLs will do a good job there. There is also an NJ "Tax". For instance, Grant charges $950 for a 6920, in NJ they are about $1,250 plus tax, plus NICS ($15) so you are talking about a $1,350 rifle.
    Those were my thoughts exactly. Will probably end up buying the 16" setup tonight. Just have to get it pinned and welded locally.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jec1521 View Post
    Those were my thoughts exactly. Will probably end up buying the 16" setup tonight. Just have to get it pinned and welded locally.
    Where are you located?
    I am part of that power which eternally wills evil, and eternally works good.

Feedback Score
    If you are located in SNJ, hit me up and I can set you up with a dealer in DE who will make any rifle or upper you buy from him NJ compliant for free.

Feedback Score
    Take a look at S&W MP 15 OPTICS READY IS A FLAT TOP WITH A PIC RAIL ON UPPER AND A LOW PROFILE GAS BLOCK. MINE SHOOTS VERY WELL! A lot cheaper than 1200.00 and they make nj compliant rifles

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by junkmansj View Post
    Take a look at S&W MP 15 OPTICS READY IS A FLAT TOP WITH A PIC RAIL ON UPPER AND A LOW PROFILE GAS BLOCK. MINE SHOOTS VERY WELL! A lot cheaper than 1200.00 and they make nj compliant rifles
    But is it made to spec? Do they use the correct twist? Correct barrel steel, etc? I know my brother's M&P Sport is not correct. I just told him to check whether he has a carbine buffer or H1 buffer. I'll fix that from my stock of spares if he has the wrong one.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    I have built several NJ compliant rifles/uppers.

For the most part, buyers want the shortest barrel length they can get so a 14.5 with a pinned break is the most common. The only set back I have heard from NJ customers is that they are married to whatever handguard they put on the rifle.

If you buy a BCM upper in the 14.5 configuration and a pinned Mod1 Break, you can use any of their three different handguards. The KMR, MCMR and QRF all use the same barrel nut.
    "Perfect Practice Makes Perfect"
    "There are 550 million firearms on this planet. That's one firearm for every 12 people. The question is... How do we arm the other 11?" Lord of War.
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    One thing worth noting about the BCM rails. Consensus seems to be that they are NOT sufficiently rigid to maintain zero in the face of rail flex if using a visible and/or IR laser is in the cards for you. My two uppers that have BCM rails are having them replaced with Geissele rails for that reason.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by hile View Post
    One thing worth noting about the BCM rails. Consensus seems to be that they are NOT sufficiently rigid to maintain zero in the face of rail flex if using a visible and/or IR laser is in the cards for you. My two uppers that have BCM rails are having them replaced with Geissele rails for that reason.
    This matches my experience as well

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12