Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Building first AR in NJ. Have some questions

Feedback Score

Building first AR in NJ. Have some questions

So I have a built aero lower ready to go with BCM LPK. Have been waiting on a complete BCM upper and see there are some on sale. Have some questions before I order though.

Looking at these two. The 16" is on sale for 35% off for black friday and the 14.5" is not.

BCM Standard 16" Mid Length Upper Receiver Group w/ MI (KeyMod) SSK-12 Handguard

https://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-...2.htm?CartID=1

This one is on sale for $415 + taxes and shipping without BCG and charging handle. Has a Midwest SSK-12 handrail. Can also get it for same price with Alpha 13" rail

BCM Standard 14.5" Mid Length Upper Receiver Group

https://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-...4.htm?CartID=3

This one I would have to add the BCM Comp 1 for an extra $90 and it has a pinned FSB. It comes out to $523 before shipping and taxes without BCG and Handle. No rail or handguard either.

I have some questions:

1) Is it worth the extra money to get the 14.5" + 1.5" BCM Comp over the 16" with smaller BCM comp? No flash hiders in NJ.

2) the 14.5" comes with a pinned FSB. is that something I would want on a 1st AR? or are flip sights better?

3) The 16" comes with a 12" Midwest SSK-12 rail. Is this something that is important or is a standard plastic MOE or similar hand guard OK?

4) Does anyone know if BCM pins the comp on the end of the 16" barrel? And does it has a bayonet lug that I would have to get removed? NJ requires a pinned comp and no bayonet lug.

Thanks

Feedback Score
    Unless I'm mistaken (which is possible), ALL muzzle devices need to be pinned and welded in NJ. At that point, arguably go with the 14.5" barrel and pinned/welded comp (or a Surefire break) since it needs to be P/W anyway. I can't comment on the rest. If you get an upper with a low-profile gas block (that is, without a fixed front sight base), no bayonet lug to worry about.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jec1521 View Post
    So I have a built aero lower ready to go with BCM LPK. Have been waiting on a complete BCM upper and see there are some on sale. Have some questions before I order though.

Looking at these two. The 16" is on sale for 35% off for black friday and the 14.5" is not.

BCM Standard 16" Mid Length Upper Receiver Group w/ MI (KeyMod) SSK-12 Handguard

https://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-...2.htm?CartID=1

This one is on sale for $415 + taxes and shipping without BCG and charging handle. Has a Midwest SSK-12 handrail. Can also get it for same price with Alpha 13" rail

BCM Standard 14.5" Mid Length Upper Receiver Group

https://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-...4.htm?CartID=3

This one I would have to add the BCM Comp 1 for an extra $90 and it has a pinned FSB. It comes out to $523 before shipping and taxes without BCG and Handle. No rail or handguard either.

I have some questions:

1) Is it worth the extra money to get the 14.5" + 1.5" BCM Comp over the 16" with smaller BCM comp? No flash hiders in NJ.

2) the 14.5" comes with a pinned FSB. is that something I would want on a 1st AR? or are flip sights better?

3) The 16" comes with a 12" Midwest SSK-12 rail. Is this something that is important or is a standard plastic MOE or similar hand guard OK?

4) Does anyone know if BCM pins the comp on the end of the 16" barrel? And does it has a bayonet lug that I would have to get removed? NJ requires a pinned comp and no bayonet lug.

Thanks
    I cannot comment on NJ compliance but I will ask why you are you are torn between those two uppers? What do want the rifle to do best? None of us will dispute the FSB is without a doubt is the most durable front sight and if you put a carry handle/rear sight on the upper most would consider the setup bomb proof. The problem is it will never as accurate as the 16" upper with free floated barrel if you are shooting groups with premium ammunition. If you plan to shoot surplus (cheap) ammo I doubt you will ever see any difference between the two you are looking at. Another advantage the floated option gives you is the ability to mount accessories just about anywhere you want. If you go that way i would recommend the BCM Alpha over the MI 7 days a week. The BCM mounting system is hard to beat.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    I cannot comment on NJ compliance but I will ask why you are you are torn between those two uppers? What do want the rifle to do best? None of us will dispute the FSB is without a doubt is the most durable front sight and if you put a carry handle/rear sight on the upper most would consider the setup bomb proof. The problem is it will never as accurate as the 16" upper with free floated barrel if you are shooting groups with premium ammunition. If you plan to shoot surplus (cheap) ammo I doubt you will ever see any difference between the two you are looking at. Another advantage the floated option gives you is the ability to mount accessories just about anywhere you want. If you go that way i would recommend the BCM Alpha over the MI 7 days a week. The BCM mounting system is hard to beat.
    Thanks for the help. I am still a somewhat newbie when it comes to the AR platform. Will be for range use and that is really it. But I do like to do it right the first time. Will probably be my only AR for quite some time, although I am sure almost everyone here said that at some point.

By the way, I emailed BCM and they said that they only pin and weld 14.5" barrel setups, so I would have to have a local gun smith pin and weld for me if I go 16"

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jec1521 View Post
    Thanks for the help. I am still a somewhat newbie when it comes to the AR platform. Will be for range use and that is really it. But I do like to do it right the first time. Will probably be my only AR for quite some time, although I am sure almost everyone here said that at some point.

By the way, I emailed BCM and they said that they only pin and weld 14.5" barrel setups, so I would have to have a local gun smith pin and weld for me if I go 16"
    What will you be shooting at this range? Paper targets, steel plates or dirt clogs?? Do you have any firearms experience or are you new to shooting? Not trying to set you up just interested in what you expect the rifle to do.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    What will you be shooting at this range? Paper targets, steel plates or dirt clogs?? Do you have any firearms experience or are you new to shooting? Not trying to set you up just interested in what you expect the rifle to do.
    Paper targets mostly. Still pretty new to shooting in general. Have been shooting handguns at the range for a couple of years now, and am looking to finish my AR build. I am looking for just range duty really. To be honest, right now a standard MP15, Ruger, or PSA build would be fine but I wanted a good system to learn on and be able to do more in the future with like Carbine classes, etc.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by hile View Post
    Unless I'm mistaken (which is possible), ALL muzzle devices need to be pinned and welded in NJ. At that point, arguably go with the 14.5" barrel and pinned/welded comp (or a Surefire break) since it needs to be P/W anyway. I can't comment on the rest. If you get an upper with a low-profile gas block (that is, without a fixed front sight base), no bayonet lug to worry about.
    That is correct. All muzzle devices must be pinned and welded regardless of the barrel length. Obviously no SBR lengths allowed.

Also, of you have a FSB you will need to cut off the bayonet lug. The upper with a 12" rail has a low profile gas block. No bayo lug to cut.

As far as I know, BCM doesn't pin/weld muzzle devices onto 16" barrels. Only 14.5s. There are a bunch of FFLs who would do this for you here.
    Last edited by Alex V; 11-19-18 at 19:37.
    I am part of that power which eternally wills evil, and eternally works good.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    For your first AR, I would recommend you buy a completed rifle. You will adore it forever, and not do something that should not be done with a build. For an entry level AR, names like BCM, Daniel Defense and Colt are all solid choices. There are others as well, but these are a good start.
    John
    aka LONGSHOT2000

Disclosure:
    Part-Owner of Charlies Custom Clones
    Avid firearms enthusiast and 2A Constitutionalist
    and agitator of the left and the FAKE NEWS
    Scope Slut and Barrel Nerd

Instagram
    twitter
    youtube
    facebook

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by longshot2000 View Post
    For your first AR, I would recommend you buy a completed rifle. You will adore it forever, and not do something that should not be done with a build. For an entry level AR, names like BCM, Daniel Defense and Colt are all solid choices. There are others as well, but these are a good start.
    I was originally thinking of buying a complete LE6920, but I figured given the NJ limitations, I would have to get modifications done like pinned and welded comp, fixed stock, etc anyway. Plus, I am the type that wanted to learn how the AR platform works.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by longshot2000 View Post
    Buying a complete rifle from a quality brand in NJ is difficult. BCM and DD won't offer compliant rifles so you have to rely on the FFL to pin the stock and weld the muzzle brake on. Not all FFLs will do a good job there. There is also an NJ "Tax". For instance, Grant charges $950 for a 6920, in NJ they are about $1,250 plus tax, plus NICS ($15) so you are talking about a $1,350 rifle.
    I am part of that power which eternally wills evil, and eternally works good.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast