Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lift those weights for the healthy heart

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Lift those weights for the healthy heart

get under that barbell people! Of course doing both is best, but too many consider cardio the magic bullet for heart health, and that's not the case:

Different types of physical activity offer varying protection against heart disease
    Static activity, such as strength training, appears more beneficial

Source:

American College of Cardiology

Summary:

While it is well known that physical activity is important for heart health, neither research nor recommendations consistently differentiate between the benefits of different types of physical activity. New research found that while all physical activity is beneficial, static activities -- such as strength training-- were more strongly associated with reducing heart disease risks than dynamic activities like walking and cycling.

Cont:

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...iaOVvLYU-NKzR8
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I was always skeptical with all the talk of cardio, cardio, cardio in regards to heart health. I never really enjoyed running but I always left the gym sweaty after pushing/pulling weight. I always left time to run after a qood weight session. But never had it in my head to only run.
    One year my doctor confirmed what I believed in terms my own personal health.
    My parents visited over a weekend and dropped off a case of SPAM and canned corn beef. Growing up in Hawaii, those two things always made up a meal sometime in a week. My wife hated me for the next 6 months as I eventually polished off the SPAM or corn beef with a side of eggs and white rice.
    I was due for my annual physical so I asked my doctor about checking my blood work. My vitals were always normal or below so I was anxious about the results. Lo and behold, all of my labs and VS were right where they should be or way below. My doctor and I were both amazed. She said I should thank parents for gifting me with some healthy heart genetics.
    For me I just feel better when I keep my carbs down, eating animal proteins and keeping my heart rate up with strength training.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Nocalsocal; 11-19-18 at 12:31.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the reminder....

I rather do cardio 7 times a week than do weights one day. Since I grew up on McDonalds, and still consider it my comfort food of choice, I am guessing my heart needs all the help it can get. I've got to find a way to get this into my life.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C2Q View Post
    Thanks for the reminder....

I rather do cardio 7 times a week than do weights one day. Since I grew up on McDonalds, and still consider it my comfort food of choice, I am guessing my heart needs all the help it can get. I've got to find a way to get this into my life.
    Actually, there's been a number of studies coming out finding resistance training (weight lifting) superior to endurance work on a number of fronts. I usually post them on my FB page. For example:

If you can only do one, RT every time. Obviously, for health/fitness, a combo of both is best. That's a "no chit Sherlock" conclusion there, but I digress. To this article, RT preserved FFM in older adults dieting, while cardio actually increased loss of FFM!

"Surprisingly, cardio workouts actually caused older adults with obesity to lose more lean muscle mass than dieting alone.

The researchers suggest that losing weight is generally recommended for those with obesity.

However, preserving muscle – while losing fat – is particularly important for older adults to maximize functional benefit."

https://knowridge.com/2018/11/for-ol...MrwBZO4W8exfvA

And, RT superior to cardio for you aging brain too:

https://www.lifeextension.com/Magazi...Uu1_CODYEV0FiU
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    And, RT superior to cardio for you aging brain too:

https://www.lifeextension.com/Magazi...Uu1_CODYEV0FiU
    You got me at cognitive decline--especially since I use CBT for my anxiety. Tks

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I've saw plenty of fat people who can finish a marathon, and fat guys who can lift a house.

The model for longevity should be one of balance and good diet.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bp7178 View Post
    I've saw plenty of fat people who can finish a marathon, and fat guys who can lift a house.

The model for longevity should be one of balance and good diet.
    Who says it aint? The fact of the matter is, and the focus of this thread: "cardio" has long been viewed as superior for a number of benefits, and it simply aint true. If you only have time for one, per OP, do RT. If one has the time, do both for sure. That's the only real point of the thread. What constitutes a balanced diet geared toward longevity is a whole other topic, and should also not be confused with what's optimal for performance, as that too, not defacto interchangeable.
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

Feedback Score
    I have glaucoma. I lifted weights for years.

I wish I had never done any resistance training.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/51707.php

Weightlifting May Increase Glaucoma Risk
    Published Tuesday 12 September 2006 By Christian Nordqvist
    If you are a regular weightlifter perhaps you should bear in mind that you could be increasing your chances of developing glaucoma, a condition that can make you blind, say Brazilian researchers.

The scientists found that weightlifting is associated with a temporary increase in intraocular pressure (pressure inside the eye). Introcular pressure is raised further if the person holds his/her breath during reps. This increase in pressure inside the eye raises the risk of developing glaucoma.
    You can read about this study in the journal Archives of Ophthalmology.

When air is forced against a closed windpipe (Valsalva manoeuvre) pressure inside the eyeball tends to go up. Valsalva manoeuvre commonly occurs when a person coughs, vomits, plays a brass wind instrument (trumpet) and does heavy weightlifting.
    Aerobic exercise actually HELPS intraocular pressure:

Aerobic exercise, such as jogging, cycling and swimming is usually followed by a fall in intraocular pressure. In fact, even non-aerobic exercise, such as weightlifting is also followed by a drop in intraocular pressure. The difference is that during the act of heavy weightlifting intraocular pressure can go up.
    The researchers concluded that prolonged weightlifting might be a potential risk factor for the development as well as the progression of glaucoma.

Team leader, Dr Geraldo Magela Vieira, said "Intermittent intraocular pressure increases during weightlifting should be suspected in patients with normal-tension glaucoma who perform such exercises. Patients with normal-tension glaucoma should be questioned as to a history of regular weightlifting."
    Just so we're clear: This is just one article. There are others on the internet agreeing with the notion that weighlifting is bad juju for later developing glaucoma.

According to my eye doctor: you're better off drinking beer because at least it's a diuretic and water loss results in lower intraocular pressure.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Safari View Post
    I have glaucoma. I lifted weights for years.

I wish I had never done any resistance training.
    Have looked at that topic and am highly suspect of the association, but lets assume a causation for some: Everything is a risk to benefit, and lets say RT reduces your risk of dementia, CVD, or sarcopenia by 42%, but increases your risk of glaucoma by 12%? For most people. benefit far outweighs the risks. Two, I see no place RT increases risk of developing glaucoma, but maybe contraindicated in people at risk, or people who develop, glaucoma. There's a big difference. Here's a good review on the topic worth a read, and a decade newer than what you'd posted above:

Intraocular pressure and glaucoma: Is physical exercise beneficial or a risk?

J Optom. 2016 Jul-Sep; 9(3): 139–147.

Abstract

Intraocular pressure may become elevated with muscle exertion, changes in body position and increased respiratory volumes, especially when Valsalva manoeuver mechanisms are involved. All of these factors may be present during physical exercise, especially if hydration levels are increased. This review examines the evidence for intraocular pressure changes during and after physical exercise. Intraocular pressure elevation may result in a reduction in ocular perfusion pressure with the associated possibility of mechanical and/or ischaemic damage to the optic nerve head. A key consideration is the possibility that, rather than being beneficial for patients who are susceptible to glaucomatous pathology, any intraocular pressure elevation could be detrimental. Lower intraocular pressure after exercise may result from its elevation causing accelerated aqueous outflow during exercise. Also examined is the possibility that people who have lower frailty are more likely to exercise as well as less likely to have or develop glaucoma. Consequently, lower prevalence of glaucoma would be expected among people who exercise. The evidence base for this topic is deficient and would be greatly improved by the availability of tonometry assessment during dynamic exercise, more studies which control for hydration levels, and methods for assessing the potential general health benefits of exercise against any possibility of exacerbated glaucomatous pathology for individual patients who are susceptible to such changes.

Full paper:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4911456/
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    Have looked at that topic and am highly suspect of the association, but lets assume a causation for some: Everything is a risk to benefit, and lets say RT reduces your risk of dementia, CVD, or sarcopenia by 42%, but increases your risk of glaucoma by 12%? For most people. benefit far outweighs the risks. Two, I see no place RT increases risk of developing glaucoma, but maybe contraindicated in people at risk, or people who develop, glaucoma. There's a big difference. Here's a good review on the topic worth a read, and a decade newer than what you'd posted above:

Intraocular pressure and glaucoma: Is physical exercise beneficial or a risk?

J Optom. 2016 Jul-Sep; 9(3): 139–147.

Abstract

Intraocular pressure may become elevated with muscle exertion, changes in body position and increased respiratory volumes, especially when Valsalva manoeuver mechanisms are involved. All of these factors may be present during physical exercise, especially if hydration levels are increased. This review examines the evidence for intraocular pressure changes during and after physical exercise. Intraocular pressure elevation may result in a reduction in ocular perfusion pressure with the associated possibility of mechanical and/or ischaemic damage to the optic nerve head. A key consideration is the possibility that, rather than being beneficial for patients who are susceptible to glaucomatous pathology, any intraocular pressure elevation could be detrimental. Lower intraocular pressure after exercise may result from its elevation causing accelerated aqueous outflow during exercise. Also examined is the possibility that people who have lower frailty are more likely to exercise as well as less likely to have or develop glaucoma. Consequently, lower prevalence of glaucoma would be expected among people who exercise. The evidence base for this topic is deficient and would be greatly improved by the availability of tonometry assessment during dynamic exercise, more studies which control for hydration levels, and methods for assessing the potential general health benefits of exercise against any possibility of exacerbated glaucomatous pathology for individual patients who are susceptible to such changes.

Full paper:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4911456/
    The article I posted is just one of the many I've read. My opthalmologist agrees weight-lifting is a risk.

Benefits outweighing risk? That's fine and good until you start going blind, then what do you say about it?

I'm one to err on the side of not doing any more weightlifting. Instead I now make sure my workout has plenty of walking and other activities that are known to decrease intraocular pressure.

YMMV but to me it's just not worth possibly going blind when I can do other exercises that actually help my condition.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast