Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: What was/is most lacking about your service weapon?

Feedback Score
    12 (93%)
    I never served or had a service weapon. But...

We were hired to install our BOP (Blow Out Preventer) test stumps in Iraq in 2005. We were already doing a job for Petro Saudi and were contracted by Halliburton I think. I don't remember seeing many US soldiers, a few here and there but I remember seeing a whole bunch of PSC's who worked for Kellogg, Halliburton and Schlumberger who were working in the oil field. Most of these security contractors were from Great Britain and Australia. We didn't work in Iraq, all of the work that we did was done in a yard in Kuwait using contractors but the installation was done near Rumalia and Zubair in Iraq.

I wasn't too interested in AR's at the time but what got me interested, or at least what started this journey for me was the security team that was on the job site, they all had ZM Weapons LR300's with C-More red dot sights. Seeing these guys did something to me. About 4-6 of these guys with slicked back hair, 5- o'clock shadows, Diesel designer jeans, black V-neck t-shirts and a Persols holding a LR300. This was the guys that drove us to the job site across the border (our test stumps would get to the job site days before). There was some jealousy, or maybe just envy going around because these guys had- I think, the most expensive AR rifles at the time. Most the other guys had what I believe to be basic Colts and Rock Rivers etc. I remember these guys who were nice, but I didn't get much time to talk to them, but they were really proud of there LR300's- I think they had just got them

Needless to say, when I got back home, I bought my first assault rifle and back in 2005, the market for AR's and accessories wasn't that great. So I got a Sig 551 and I loved that gun! I wish I still had it. It was light weight, had a really good contour like the stock felt good up against the cheek and the handguard was easy to grip and overall it was a comfortable gun. But the main reason was that the stock folded just like the LR300's.

Feedback Score
    52 (100%)
    Army, 2008-2016 OEF x 35 months

Most lacking? Training.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kwg020 View Post
    I never considered CLP as issued an effective cleaner or protectant. It was a lube only. Maybe a protectant while in the arms room but never a cleaner. Very hot water was a better cleaner and not a protectant in adverse conditions. A milspec isoparifin is a much better protectant in adverse conditions

idk why i called it a CLP solution fountain lol.... but it was literally a 55 gallon barrel of cleaning solution that had it's own sink / tub to flush everything into and it just recycled the cleaning solution... and i know "we" was always told by the Staff NCO's to never use it to clean your rifles cuz it was so corrosive...... but that stuff worked like a charm...

As for straight CLP that we was issued.... yea i never thought that stuff was all that great.. for lube, it was decent.. but i mean way back then, i didn't know shit about firearm's lube or cleaners...

the funny thing is i remember it was right at the end of the fiscal year lol, and we had to "use" up all the ammo, well i get on the M2 and one of the Staff Nco's comes over and is like hold on.. and has a tube of "lube" for the M2 and of course I'm like WTF is that shit lol... and he basically said it was heavy duty all weather lube that is good to like -50 weather.... it's like wtf why are we not using that shit in our M16's lol........

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GTF425 View Post

Most lacking? Training.
    I will completely AGREE with that... i use to think I "knew" shit and had training... till i seen videos of people on YT training... And it's like WOW i really don't know shit, and my reload times are crap....

Feedback Score

Most lacking? Training.
    Too true. Had multiple near miss Blue on Blue because of it.

One night fire with thermals and NVGs is not enough.

Also, if ~85% of the troops are buying different slings than the one issued, command needs to issue better slings.
    Last edited by joe.a; 12-03-18 at 08:36. Reason: additional info

Feedback Score

Most lacking? Training.
    Having used both an M16A2 and M4 down range, I am in violent agreement with GTF425's comment.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    1. Never really an issue. Never humped a 240 or SAW as a matter of practice. Did have a 320 which was attached to a bungee cord and slung over back sometimes.

2. Always had standard 14.5 barrel. Sometimes wished for more range.

3. There are only two options. M68 (Aimpoint) or ACOG. ACOG is ok, used on 3 of 4 deployments but I prefer the aimpoint. Wished for 1-6.

4. In all honesty, never got to check terminal ballistic effectiveness ever. If on vehicle, 7.62 or caliber 50. When dismounted, 556 for me. Reasonably effective.

5. Never with personal weapon. I tended to drench them in synthetic motor oil though. Sometimes with vehicle mounted. Tended to be the belt fed weapons and not with the actual weapon but the link and feed system (CROW)

6. Ditched A2, used MIAD.

In eastern AFG I used an M4 off the rack. Surefire light on haley thorntail left side because of short rail. PEQ15 mounted behind pressure switch which was mounted on top rail directly behind front sight assembly. Halfway through used button on light instead and removed pressure switch. Optic was aimpoint. Almost everyone else used ACOG but I opted for Aimpoint. Magpul mag release, giessele SSF which turned my M4 into full auto before we got reissued M4A1s. Magpul trigger guard and ambi selector I bought off BCM website. Stock was LMT SOPMOD. Also carried was 320 grenade launcher in stand alone config. Most people hate the mounted on rifle config because it was very bulky. Used mostly for signaling CCA/CAS as opposed to HE. When not using stock is collapsed which made it very compact. M9 carried in safariland ALS. Never had a problem with it but also never had to shoot it at anyone. M240 L with short barrel plus M240 B on remote mount on vehicle. Also carried mossberg in truck but mostly for fun. Also had SAW in truck with 50 rnd nut sack and then spare 200 belts available but it was the driver's.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BOOSTjunkie View Post
    1. Never really an issue. Never humped a 240 or SAW as a matter of practice. Did have a 320 which was attached to a bungee cord and slung over back sometimes.

2. Always had standard 14.5 barrel. Sometimes wished for more range.

3. There are only two options. M68 (Aimpoint) or ACOG. ACOG is ok, used on 3 of 4 deployments but I prefer the aimpoint. Wished for 1-6.

4. In all honesty, never got to check terminal ballistic effectiveness ever. If on vehicle, 7.62 or caliber 50. When dismounted, 556 for me. Reasonably effective.

5. Never with personal weapon. I tended to drench them in synthetic motor oil though. Sometimes with vehicle mounted. Tended to be the belt fed weapons and not with the actual weapon but the link and feed system (CROW)

6. Ditched A2, used MIAD.

In eastern AFG I used an M4 off the rack. Surefire light on haley thorntail left side because of short rail. PEQ15 mounted behind pressure switch which was mounted on top rail directly behind front sight assembly. Halfway through used button on light instead and removed pressure switch. Optic was aimpoint. Almost everyone else used ACOG but I opted for Aimpoint. Magpul mag release, giessele SSF which turned my M4 into full auto before we got reissued M4A1s. Magpul trigger guard and ambi selector I bought off BCM website. Stock was LMT SOPMOD. Also carried was 320 grenade launcher in stand alone config. Most people hate the mounted on rifle config because it was very bulky. Used mostly for signaling CCA/CAS as opposed to HE. When not using stock is collapsed which made it very compact. M9 carried in safariland ALS. Never had a problem with it but also never had to shoot it at anyone. M240 L with short barrel plus M240 B on remote mount on vehicle. Also carried mossberg in truck but mostly for fun. Also had SAW in truck with 50 rnd nut sack and then spare 200 belts available but it was the driver's.
    Not sure what type of unit you were in, but I thought regular grunts couldn't make some of the changes to their weapons that you mention.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    Not sure what type of unit you were in, but I thought regular grunts couldn't make some of the changes to their weapons that you mention.
    Not technically, but IME it’s not typically super hard, especially for any type of leadership. And that’s just in garrison - I could put anything I wanted onto or into my various M4s as long as it was removed by the time they went to the armament shop for gauging. And even then, I’d just have to talk to the chief about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    IMG_0544.jpg

IMG_0545.jpg

Blast from the past 2011? 12? I think
    Last edited by BOOSTjunkie; 12-12-18 at 19:26.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast