G&R Tactical
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: What was/is most lacking about your service weapon?

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    I never served or had a service weapon. But...

We were hired to install our BOP (Blow Out Preventer) test stumps in Iraq in 2005. We were already doing a job for Petro Saudi and were contracted by Halliburton I think. I don't remember seeing many US soldiers, a few here and there but I remember seeing a whole bunch of PSC's who worked for Kellogg, Halliburton and Schlumberger who were working in the oil field. Most of these security contractors were from Great Britain and Australia. We didn't work in Iraq, all of the work that we did was done in a yard in Kuwait using contractors but the installation was done near Rumalia and Zubair in Iraq.

I wasn't too interested in AR's at the time but what got me interested, or at least what started this journey for me was the security team that was on the job site, they all had ZM Weapons LR300's with C-More red dot sights. Seeing these guys did something to me. About 4-6 of these guys with slicked back hair, 5- o'clock shadows, Diesel designer jeans, black V-neck t-shirts and a Persols holding a LR300. This was the guys that drove us to the job site across the border (our test stumps would get to the job site days before). There was some jealousy, or maybe just envy going around because these guys had- I think, the most expensive AR rifles at the time. Most the other guys had what I believe to be basic Colts and Rock Rivers etc. I remember these guys who were nice, but I didn't get much time to talk to them, but they were really proud of there LR300's- I think they had just got them

Needless to say, when I got back home, I bought my first assault rifle and back in 2005, the market for AR's and accessories wasn't that great. So I got a Sig 551 and I loved that gun! I wish I still had it. It was light weight, had a really good contour like the stock felt good up against the cheek and the handguard was easy to grip and overall it was a comfortable gun. But the main reason was that the stock folded just like the LR300's.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Army, 2008-2016 OEF x 35 months

Most lacking? Training.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kwg020 View Post
    I never considered CLP as issued an effective cleaner or protectant. It was a lube only. Maybe a protectant while in the arms room but never a cleaner. Very hot water was a better cleaner and not a protectant in adverse conditions. A milspec isoparifin is a much better protectant in adverse conditions

idk why i called it a CLP solution fountain lol.... but it was literally a 55 gallon barrel of cleaning solution that had it's own sink / tub to flush everything into and it just recycled the cleaning solution... and i know "we" was always told by the Staff NCO's to never use it to clean your rifles cuz it was so corrosive...... but that stuff worked like a charm...

As for straight CLP that we was issued.... yea i never thought that stuff was all that great.. for lube, it was decent.. but i mean way back then, i didn't know shit about firearm's lube or cleaners...

the funny thing is i remember it was right at the end of the fiscal year lol, and we had to "use" up all the ammo, well i get on the M2 and one of the Staff Nco's comes over and is like hold on.. and has a tube of "lube" for the M2 and of course I'm like WTF is that shit lol... and he basically said it was heavy duty all weather lube that is good to like -50 weather.... it's like wtf why are we not using that shit in our M16's lol........

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GTF425 View Post

Most lacking? Training.
    I will completely AGREE with that... i use to think I "knew" shit and had training... till i seen videos of people on YT training... And it's like WOW i really don't know shit, and my reload times are crap....

Feedback Score

Most lacking? Training.
    Too true. Had multiple near miss Blue on Blue because of it.

One night fire with thermals and NVGs is not enough.

Also, if ~85% of the troops are buying different slings than the one issued, command needs to issue better slings.
    Last edited by joe.a; 12-03-18 at 09:36. Reason: additional info
    RIP PFC Cody Thompson, SPC Bryan "Cody" Hoyt, SGT Marc Fleury. You're not forgotten.

Feedback Score

Most lacking? Training.
    Having used both an M16A2 and M4 down range, I am in violent agreement with GTF425's comment.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234