Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: What was/is most lacking about your service weapon?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BOOSTjunkie View Post
    Attachment 54996

Blast from the past 2011? 12? I think
    I’d be very interested to know why you decided to go back to the tailcap button and ditch the pressure pad.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    As epidemic of the short issue rail, not enough real estate to run the pressure pad for the PEQ and the Light.

IMG_0588.jpg and lee enfield hadji version

IMG_0567.jpg or a FAMAS with rifle grenades
    Last edited by BOOSTjunkie; 12-12-18 at 19:53.

Feedback Score
    53 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    Not sure what type of unit you were in, but I thought regular grunts couldn't make some of the changes to their weapons that you mention.
    There’s a difference between what you do and what your unit knows you do.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GTF425 View Post
    Army, 2008-2016 OEF x 35 months

Most lacking? Training.
    Nailed it.

With our M4A1's w/ ACOGs & PEQ15's loaded with M855A1 there's zero to complain about without nit picking (like that I prefer the TA11 over the TA31F we're issued) when it comes to hardware. Most of our Joes are using older M68's that have seen better days, but I've been bugging our XO and HQ enough that we're getting some of the Aimpoint M4's (newer M68's) and the older 68's at least functioning again. Our M240L's run like raped apes, and our our M249's are ok. My only legit hardware gripe is I can't stand the M320 and want our M203's back. And that's apparently user preference...

I ran a CQB M4A1 range over the summer for my Company and was amazed how many guys had issues running their weapons. Bone dry weapons causing minor FTF issues that were easily cleared using SPORTS and yet they'd just stare at it with a dumb look on their face. This even included a goddamn SSG. They also keep passing around beat to death mags that just got made worse by mandating we can't use personal mags anymore (I do anyway). You can't make this up.

As bad as things are with M4A1's, we get WAY more training with those than our belt feds. SAWs require a lot of time and experience to learn how to not only keep them running but also keep your cone of fire tight at 600-700m, and we're getting only one or two ranges a year with limited ammo. We did one a few months ago and they gave us zero tracers... yes, seriously.

As much as I want us to have 600m known and unknown ranges, I'd love to see us go back to mastering the BASICS.

ETA: I'm in a Nasty Girl Infantry unit, I'm sure Active Duty is in better shape
    Last edited by kaltesherz; 12-12-18 at 20:56.
    PRAISE THE FALLEN
    SSG Kevin Roberts KIA 7-May-08
    1Lt Nick Dewhirst KIA 20-July-08
    Cpl Charles Gaffney KIA 24-Dec-08
    Spc Peter Courcy KIA 10-Feb-09
    PFC Jason Watson KIA 10-Feb-09

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kaltesherz View Post
    Nailed it.

With our M4A1's w/ ACOGs & PEQ15's loaded with M855A1 there's zero to complain about without nit picking (like that I prefer the TA11 over the TA31F we're issued) when it comes to hardware. Most of our Joes are using older M68's that have seen better days, but I've been bugging our XO and HQ enough that we're getting some of the Aimpoint M4's (newer M68's) and the older 68's at least functioning again. Our M240L's run like raped apes, and our our M249's are ok. My only legit hardware gripe is I can't stand the M320 and want our M203's back. And that's apparently user preference...

I ran a CQB M4A1 range over the summer for my Company and was amazed how many guys had issues running their weapons. Bone dry weapons causing minor FTF issues that were easily cleared using SPORTS and yet they'd just stare at it with a dumb look on their face. This even included a goddamn SSG. They also keep passing around beat to death mags that just got made worse by mandating we can't use personal mags anymore (I do anyway). You can't make this up.

As bad as things are with M4A1's, we get WAY more training with those than our belt feds. SAWs require a lot of time and experience to learn how to not only keep them running but also keep your cone of fire tight at 600-700m, and we're getting only one or two ranges a year with limited ammo. We did one a few months ago and they gave us zero tracers... yes, seriously.

As much as I want us to have 600m known and unknown ranges, I'd love to see us go back to mastering the BASICS.

ETA: I'm in a Nasty Girl Infantry unit, I'm sure Active Duty is in better shape
    Speaking of which, I got the email from our DIV that the new Army qual is out. Hadn't seen that posted in the gun circles yet. Who made the decision to ban personal mags, company CDR?
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Who made the decision to ban personal mags, company CDR?
    Long story short, we were running Buddy / Team / Squad live fires for 3 days straight with minimal sleep and a new Private somehow shot a BFA off his weapon the last night. Their solution was basic training style brass shake downs, only platoon collective mags, and no more plate carriers- IBA's only. I wish I was joking...
    Last edited by kaltesherz; 12-15-18 at 10:53.
    PRAISE THE FALLEN
    SSG Kevin Roberts KIA 7-May-08
    1Lt Nick Dewhirst KIA 20-July-08
    Cpl Charles Gaffney KIA 24-Dec-08
    Spc Peter Courcy KIA 10-Feb-09
    PFC Jason Watson KIA 10-Feb-09

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Long story short, we were running Buddy / Team / Squad live fires for 3 days straight with minimal sleep and a new Private somehow shot a BFA off the last night. Their solution was basic training style brass shake downs, only platoon collective mags, and no more plate carriers- IBA's only. I wish I was joking...
    So basically a whole bunch of risk aversion techniques that mean absolutely nothing. Sounds right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Long story short, we were running Buddy / Team / Squad live fires for 3 days straight with minimal sleep and a new Private somehow shot a BFA off the last night...
    Please educate...what is a BFA?

NC

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

What was/is most lacking about your service weapon?

Quote Originally Posted by nightchief View Post
    Please educate...what is a BFA?

NC
    Blank firing adapter. Just a thing that goes on the barrel that will help create enough pressure in the system to cycle the rifle with blanks.
    Last edited by thopkins22; 12-14-18 at 13:49.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

What was/is most lacking about your service weapon?

Damn Tapatalk. Sorry.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast