Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Preferred 7.62x39 AR using AK mags other than CMMG?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Preferred 7.62x39 AR using AK mags other than CMMG?

Other than CMMG what would be your preferred 7.62x39 AR using AK mags?

TED

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I have not shot a CMMG Mutant, but it is the one I'd look at first. The bolt has been increased in diameter to better fit the larger rim diameter of the 7.62x39 case. Other 7.62x39 uppers maker simply open up the face of a standard AR bolt. A standard AR bolt with the face opened up to accept a 7.62x39 case is marginal.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    I have not shot a CMMG Mutant, but it is the one I'd look at first. The bolt has been increased in diameter to better fit the larger rim diameter of the 7.62x39 case. Other 7.62x39 uppers maker simply open up the face of a standard AR bolt. A standard AR bolt with the face opened up to accept a 7.62x39 case is marginal.
    Your're certainly right about all that and I do think that CMMG is the best. But for the cost difference between the CMMG and the 2nd best you could buy a few bolts adn this would only be a recreational or proof of concept build.

That's why I'm purposely looking for the 2nd best.

TED

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I would take a look at the Gilboa M43. Supposed to be in use by the IDF. The you tube reviews I have seen are positive.

www.gunbroker.com/item/791520405

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by signal4l View Post
    I would take a look at the Gilboa M43. Supposed to be in use by the IDF. The you tube reviews I have seen are positive.

www.gunbroker.com/item/791520405
    AHHH!! Interesting, I had forgotten about that one. A big concern I see there is that the mag release is inside the trigger guard. Especially with gloves, I can envision accidental mag release.

TED

Feedback Score
    Ted, not the question you asked, but I’m curious why you’ve written off using regular a AR15 lower? I thought about using the CMMG Mutant, but being larger makes me think that it would feel more like an AR10.

Windham Weaponry sells a multicaliber system that takes AK mags, but I have no experience with it.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret View Post
    Ted, not the question you asked, but I’m curious why you’ve written off using regular a AR15 lower? I thought about using the CMMG Mutant, but being larger makes me think that it would feel more like an AR10.

Windham Weaponry sells a multicaliber system that takes AK mags, but I have no experience with it.
    I'm still skeptical about AR pattern 7.62x39 mags and also I have 8 NIW 100rd Chinese drums. I used to have 9 but an ex friend (ironically married to a cop) STOLE one.

TED

Feedback Score
    I think most of the issues with 7.62x39 using regular lowers have been ironed out. RZE Unimags work great. Here’s my Windham upper on a M16 lower.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ma82EphaORQ

I also built one using a upper half from Classic Firearms. It runs 100% and was very cheap.

Feedback Score
    KS47, PSA has good customer service. Their bolt is 9310 fwiw

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Maharlika75 View Post
    PSA has good customer service.
    I purchased from them for years until recently. I bought one of their AR10 upper halves and one of their AR10 lower halves. The gap between the upper and lower receivers is 2mm at the rear and the play between the receivers is beyond anything that I've ever seen on an AR in my entire 30 years of shooting/fondling them. I sent the rifle back to PSA and they sent it back to me. They didn't fix anything. They didn't even have the decency to put a note in with the rifle saying that they didn't fix anything. I called and was told that I could return the upper half, but not the lower half since it was transferred to me. A customer service supervisor literally told me that the gap and play is acceptable to PSA standards. They screwed me for $200. I'll never buy from them again. They will certainly lose way more than $200.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast