Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Remington 870 Magnum?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Remington 870 Magnum?

Ok, so we know the difference between the 870 Police and 870 Express, but what about the Magnum? How does the Magnum stand up? Given that it is billed as a 'magnum' I would think it would have a more heavy duty construction than the Express.

I was looking at the XCS Marine Magnum. Any thoughts?

Feedback Score
    I am wondering this too. As far as I can see the Magnum takes the bigger 3 1/4 shells, but I hope I am wrong. I am looking into getting a new 870 and not sure which one to get. I just want to get a bare bones one and put some Vang gear on it.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Armati View Post
    Ok, so we know the difference between the 870 Police and 870 Express, but what about the Magnum? How does the Magnum stand up? Given that it is billed as a 'magnum' I would think it would have a more heavy duty construction than the Express.

870 Magnums can handle 2 3/4" or 3" shells. 870 Super Magnums can handle 3 1/2" shells.

870 Express shotguns are magnums and thus can handle 3" shells.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Armati View Post

I have a Marine Magnum 870 but only because this guy bought it for Y2K (remember that shit)- I bought it for $200 (brand new) with 200 rounds of 00 Buck, and 2 custom leather shot shell bandoleers.
    The coolest thing about it is how easy it cleans up- I never really "clean" it- only pull out a rag and wipe the parts down- nothing sticks to it.

I would buy an 870P if you get the chance, their QC is better than the Express Models.
    Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Owner of MI-TAC, LLC .

@MichiganTactical

Feedback Score
    The "870 Magnum" is the same gun as the "870 police magnum", its just the older model. As Dave mentioned, the express model is the lower tier gun, it has a plastic trigger group housing.
    Last edited by ErikL; 11-05-08 at 18:15.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave L. View Post
    I have a Marine Magnum 870 but only because this guy bought it for Y2K (remember that shit)- I bought it for $200 (brand new) with 200 rounds of 00 Buck, and 2 custom leather shot shell bandoleers.
    The coolest thing about it is how easy it cleans up- I never really "clean" it- only pull out a rag and wipe the parts down- nothing sticks to it.

I would buy an 870P if you get the chance, their QC is better than the Express Models.
    I've seriously considered one, but can never quite get past the nickel finish. I've not had great experiences with nickel. How is the finish holding up? Any flaking, bubbling, etc.?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ErikL View Post
    The "870 Magnum" is the same gun as the "870 police magnum", its just the older model. As Dave mentioned, the express model is the lower tier gun, it has a plastic trigger group housing.
    That was my question. I was wondering if the Magnum was built to the same high standards as the Police. Can anyone else confirm or deny this?

I see used 870 Magnums all the time at local shops. A nice second hand Police is much harder to come by and much more expensive.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Redmanfms View Post
    I've seriously considered one, but can never quite get past the nickel finish. I've not had great experiences with nickel. How is the finish holding up? Any flaking, bubbling, etc.?
    It's holding up very will, it's the easiest shotgun to clean. No chips, no bubbles. I wish they would make a darker plating and achieve the same results. I would probably not buy another one, it's the only Pimp* gun I own, and only got it because I paid less than half the retail.
    My next pump guns will probably be the new FN's, but the 870P is still the standard in pumps as far as I'm concerned.

* By Pimp, I'm referring to the flashy silver color made popular by guns in ghetto gang banger movies.
    Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Owner of MI-TAC, LLC .

@MichiganTactical

Feedback Score
    Dave, I'll bet your gun would look great with oil-finished wood stock set.

I'm thinking about jazzing up my old blued 870 Wingmaster Magnum with some Marine Magnum parts.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. " _ Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    I shoot 870 Police Magnums at work (IL DOC). I never thought you could break an 870 until I worked there, but some of those guns are much older than me @29.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast