Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What magnification are you guys using for 1000 yards?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    That was my first personally purchased scope. I was fine with the magnification. As I got deeper into long range, the more solid mechanics of a Nightforce became worth it.
    I don't doubt that Nightforce is a finer all around product, but my SWFA 3-15X is absolutely dead on repeatable in elevation every single time from 100 to 1000 yards. Many other scopes have better light transmission, less aberration, better parallax adjustment, but in that particular regard (tracking), it takes a back seat to no one.

Feedback Score
    I shoot out to 1,000 & 1,400 yards twice a week for the last 2 yrs, I use a Leupold Mark AR 3-9x40 Mil-Dot. We have a 6-24 Vortex on our shop Ruger Precision 6.5 and I like my lower powered Leupold MUCH better!

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I use a 4-16. I back it down to 12 or 13ish quite often as it’s a little sharper not maxed out.

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegasshooter View Post
    I use a S&B 3-20 on my competition rifle. I had a 5-25, but I like the reticle better in my 3-20, so I switched them up. I don’t find I run it on full power anyway except for some “Know your limit” stages. I’m usually somewhere around 16X. As others have said, field of view, mirage, nerves, all become a bigger issue as your magnification increases. I am fine out past 1000 on 16x. There is a reason the scopes like the ATACR 4-16 and the Leupold MK5HD 3.6-18 are so darn good and popular. They provide enough top end to get WAY out there, but the power is still usable.
    I have hit 800-1000 with my 1-8, but you can’t see much detail. Minimum for going to 1K all the time would be 10X.
    I'm running the Mark 5HD 3.6-18x CCH on my MWS, which replaced an S&B PMII 4-16x H37. Hindsight being 20/20 I probably should've kept the S&B, but I was able to offload it for a decent amount, picked up the Mark 5HD and pocketed a lot of the extra cash in the exchange. The Mark 5HD offered advantages over the S&B such as being more compact, lightweight, etc. Never used the illumination to light up the H37, and while the Mark 5HD didn't resolve quite as well as the S&B at distance, it comes close enough and still gets the job done. There is a lot to like about the Leupold's CCH reticle, especially given the wind calls we were getting from our spotter during DRCC, who tended to call out corrections in quarter .mil increments. Initially I wasn't sure how I would feel about it being graduated in .25 mil hashes considering I'm used to seeing grid reticles with .2 hash marks. Nevertheless, I have grown to appreciate the open center at each .25 mil hash and I think I really would've benefited from this optic during the long range portion of the training. I've contemplated selling it and replacing it with an H59 reticle since I would like to streamline all my reticles across all my current and future scopes (MPVOs/HPVOs), but for some reason I just can't bring myself to part ways with this scope featuring this reticle. I will say that the lines are very thin and I suppose it could get lost in a heavily wooded/shaded backdrop, but I haven't been hindered by that for my uses. In this case it would be nice if Leupold did offer illumination for this reticle in this particular model. Besides that, if I do find a limitation that I can't get over then I might entertain swapping it out for a Mark 5HD H59 or a NF 4-16x H59. It really is a great scope.

Last edited by Boba Fett v2; 02-12-19 at 09:25.
    "People have always been stupid. The Internet just makes it easier for us to know about them." - donlapalma

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123