Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: .22LR ammo advice needed

Feedback Score
    I've got 3 22s set up to run the suppressor, a bolt gun, a 10/22, and a little bersa pistol.
    My 10/22 is basically stock, except putting a folder and optic on it, and cutting the barrel back to 16.5", threading it, and putting the front sight back.
    For plinking, just the Remington bulk pack, the plated golden bullet. The thunderbolts had leading issues, so the only unplated bullets I shoot now are subsonics. For anything serious, I like cci, particularly mini mags. I don't try really accurate shooting with it, I have a serious match rifle, but have had good results with wolf match. Was not impressed with green tag, standard shot just as well, but your rifle may differ. Pmc scoremaster was awesome, but I think now unavailable. Federal standard didn't seem to always run well.
    Remington subs were fine, as was cci. The gemtech subs work good also, i've been told cci loads it for them.

You just gotta get a little of everything you can find, and see.

A friend who was a trapper for a long time, used a 22 rifle to dispatch what he caught. He said he never found a 22 hp that expanded on game, so don't waste the money. Myself, if the price is the same, I don't care whether there's a hole in the front or not, i'll get either.

Sent from my SGP612 using Tapatalk
    NRA Life, SASS#40701, Glock Advanced Armorer
    Gunsmith for Unique Armament Creations LLC, 07/SOT

VIGILIA PRETIUM LIBERTATIS

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunfixr View Post
    A friend who was a trapper for a long time, used a 22 rifle to dispatch what he caught. He said he never found a 22 hp that expanded on game, so don't waste the money. Myself, if the price is the same, I don't care whether there's a hole in the front or not, i'll get either.
    I would would agree completely on the HV stuff. The only benefit I have found with HP is it tends to ricochet less.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Update.

I was able to get out this last weekend with some CCI standard 40gr and Federal Black Pack 36gr HP, as well as some old CCI Blazar ammo that I had. I shot a total of 100 CCI standard, 100 Federal, and 50 Blazar. All three were "ok", but I had some problems with feeding with all three brands. The problems all came on the 25 round Ruger banana mags, with no problems using the standard 10 round mags. Some of the problems even resulted in rounds becoming unusable to the point that I had to dispose of them in the dud can because the bullet had become partially separated from the brass, resulting in rounds that were obviously no longer safe to fire.

I'll certainly be doing more shooting and testing, but I wonder, is it normal to have 5-10 out of 250 misfeeds, double feeds, failure to extract, etc. in the .22 rimfire world? I would have thought no with such a high end rifle, but my only other real experience with .22 is with an old Marlin Model 60 I've had since I was a kid, but that thing never fed properly. Maybe that's just how it is shooting .22LR semi auto? Any thoughts?
    Last edited by Mr McSimon; 12-10-18 at 17:08.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Rimfirecentral.com has the 10/22 gurus. Might need to be shot more (assuming this is a new rifle) to break it in... A call to TacSol wouldn't hurt.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CrowCommand View Post
    Rimfirecentral.com has the 10/22 gurus. Might need to be shot more (assuming this is a new rifle) to break it in... A call to TacSol wouldn't hurt.
    Tons of info over at Rimfirecentral.com, thanks for the tip.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I shoot a lot of Aguila SV. It's a good, readily available and inexpensive round that shoots well. I have shot many sub moa 100 yard groups with it out of a couple of accurized 10/22's.

Feedback Score
    I've been shooting more 22 rimfire recently than I have in the past, so figured I would share my thoughts and experiences.

Had very negative experience with Remington over the course of 1500 or so rounds with Golden Bullet, plus small quantities of other stuff. Many dud rounds, although it varies. Sometimes in a brick of 500, there would be only a handful of duds. Others had like one out of ten that wouldn't fire. Also had problems with under-powered rounds - you can hear the difference when you fire. Obviously this gives function issues in semi-autos, and is bad for consistent accuracy in any gun.

Also had negative experiences with Winchester bulk pack, the stuff that comes in those mini-bricks of 222 rounds. Although it ignited more reliably than Remington, there was the same problem of under-powered rounds that wouldn't cycle the bolt/slide on a semi-auto. I shot this stuff in 2 pistols that have proven highly reliable with other ammo, and they didn't run well with this. I've shot less than 500 rounds so far, so small sample size.

Had positive experiences with Federal. Over the course of 2200 rounds (1050 Champion bulk pack, 650 Automatch, and 500 rounds of subsonic stuff), I've had only 2 failures to fire, no under-powered rounds, very few malfunctions of any kind.

My favorite rimfire ammo right now is CCI Blazer. Over the last 2000 rounds, I've had no dud rounds, no under-powered rounds, very few malfunctions of any kind. Shot Blazer in 5 different guns recently, and it ran great in all of them.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    I had an extremely unpleasant experience with Thunderbolt recently.
    In two SW22 Victory Performance Center pistols, initial groups were better than I expected (about 2" at 25 yards in my hands), which led me to use Thunderbolt (against my better judgement) for a Steel Challenge Match. Both leaded up so badly I had to pull out of the match before the final stage.
    Lead removal took about three hours, and now both barrels hold lead more than any other 22 pistol I have owned, all because I wanted to save a few bucks.

Conversely, I have been very happy with pretty much everything that CCI makes, and specifically the round nose Mini Mag in those pistols.
    The HP Mini Mags work fine as well, but the round nose produce smaller groups is just about everything I shoot them out of.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    I've never bought or used Thunderbolts because they have such a bad reputation.

I have a bunch of misc. "match" and standard and subsonic .22lr for bolt guns, and a bunch of high-vel stuff for the semi-autos.

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Both leaded up so badly I had to pull out of the match before the final stage.
    Lead removal took about three hours, and now both barrels hold lead more than any other 22 pistol I have owned, all because I wanted to save a few bucks.
    Please explain this to me...

How did the leading manifest itself?

And are you saying that the Thunderbolts somehow damaged your barrels so that they now lead more easily? How could that have happened?

FWIW, I rarely/never clean the barrels of my various .22lr rifles. I just shoot 'em and then shoot 'em some more.

Feedback Score
    Another vote for CCI. I prefer the CCI MiniMags, but the SV is good too, and I generally use the CCI Stinger and Velocitor for hunting. The CCI Quiet ammo is very quiet suppressed, but won't cycle the bolt on most semi autos. I've also shot the Winchester Subsonic with pretty good results.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast