Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: .22LR ammo advice needed

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)

.22LR ammo advice needed

I was shopping for a Ruger 10/22 the other day and on a whim I ended up with a TacSol X-Ring Takedown with a Magpul Backpacker Stock. Now I'm wondering with all the super deals on .22LR ammo these days, what's the best ammo to get started with and to stock up on?

I've been seeing the Remington Thunderbolt 40gr stuff out there for less than $0.03 per round, but I have to believe it's so cheap because it's a subpar round. Can anybody speak to that? Also, I have to believe there's stuff out there that is more accurate, clean, forgiving, etc. just as with any other caliber, but I don't know enough to know what it would be. .22 cal has always been an afterthought for me, but now I'd like to get a little more serious about it.

This rifle will be a part of my survival kit, but I'll mostly be using it for fun. I'll do little bit of target shooting, plinking in the mountains, and I intend to suppress it. I don't mind running different ammo for different scenarios, so does anybody have any good recommendations that will work well with the X-Ring Bull Barrel, or should I just be looking at price, price, and price? Also, any other pertinent info like bullet weight, velocity, or anything else that I should consider, including a good subsonic choice, will be greatly appreciated.

Feedback Score

.22LR ammo advice needed

I like CCI Standard, Fiocchi Subsonic, Winchester Subsonic.

Remington Subsonic and Thunderbolt would make my semiautomatic pistols choke.

My finished rifle, sighting on my range from my private driveway.

I did a lot to the above Ruger 10/22. Here’s what it looked like before.

I installed a Kidd single stage trigger, initially. Accuracy was subpar at 50 yards with how it was above.

I kept it in the safe since I didn’t enjoy shooting it. When I acquired suppressors, I decided to work on it last month. I replaced the barrel with a Tactical Solutions Barrel.

I then changed the internals to Kidd, also. Extractor, screws, firing pin, spring and rod kit.

I polished my factory bolt.

Now it shoots subsonic Ammunition.

My rifle’s favorite ammo, of which I acquired 5000 rounds is Aguila Super Extra. I also have several thousand CCI Standard.

Before you stock up on ammo, try a small box to see how it works in your gun. $3-8 for a box is better than a couple of hundred for a huge set of bricks of ammo.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by CDR_Glock; 11-24-18 at 13:41.

Feedback Score
    I say CCI all the way. You pay a little more but get good results. For plinking use the Standard Velocity CCI.
    For Varmints I use the CCI Velociter or Stinger.
    I got away from the Remington Rimfire stuff back in 2013 because of bad misfires and it was just so dirty to shoot.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    It seems EVERY mfg says, "DO NOT USE THUNDERBOLTS!" So first thing I do, is shoot thunderbolts through it. Figure if it can't take THAT, then what is the POINT of it?

Ruger Mk.III has run fine on them for almost 10 years now. Ditto my dedicated TacSol .22 AR. I have more trouble cycling Peters .22 than anything else.
    Last edited by The_War_Wagon; 11-21-18 at 13:27. Reason: Cos' I 'r' not sech a gud speler! :-p
    - Either you're part of the problem or you're part of the solution or you're just part of the landscape - Sam (Robert DeNiro) in, "Ronin" -

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I'm partial to CCI...Especially the MiniMag. Their plain-Jane Standard Velocity stuff is good as well, as are the SGBs.

Win and Federal bulk pack stuff is also clean, reliable, and reasonably accurate in all of my rimfires.

Thunderbolts, while functionally reliable, lead terribly in everything I've ever fired them in. After a couple boxes, the leading has built up to a point that it's necessary to tap a cleaning rod down the bore, and the lead comes out in long twisty streaks. Totally pain in the ass to clean up after....I ain't got time for that shit, man.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    My Adaptive Tactical takedown 10/22 barrel will consistently group under 1/2" at 50 yards with CCI Green Tag, and right around 1/2" with CCI Standard Velocity. No stoppages with either over a few hundred rounds. Wolf Match was good out of my M&P 15-22, but I haven't shot it though the Adaptive barrel.

I go by the general rule of thumb to shoot subsonic for precision, and use high velocity stuff for small game inside 50. I know that there are some folks that do use supersonic for long range stuff, but I haven't compiled enough data or experience with that to embrace it, where I know that the current record holder for long-range .22LR was shooting Lapua subsonic .22LR.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    For semis, I look for the heaviest round going the fastest that has some kind of ‘plating’ or wash on it- not bare lead. Then I get hooked by a PSA email offer.

Looking in the ammo closet, I have a bunch of Federal ‘Automatch’. Runs great in a SW MP15-22 and M&P9-22. I have some Thunderbolt that I’ve shot, and I can’t say I noticed as difference. When we go we put about 300-600 rounds through the 15–22 and clean it every other time.

I agree CCI is better, cleaner ammo and probably the ‘best’ for what you are looking to do.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Thanks for the input so far. CCI is actually some of the stuff I have on hand, so I'll be taking a closer look at their offering based on these reccomendations.

What do you guys think of the Federal Black Label? https://www.brownells.com/ammunition...rod123834.aspx Seems to be some pretty killer deals for it too.
    Last edited by Mr McSimon; 11-21-18 at 17:13.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    My 10/22 shoots wolf match in silly small groups. I buy it online in 500 round boxes. Was hard to find before but getting better now that everyone has a basement full of .22 ammo.

Remington thunderbolt costs more per round after you factor in all the duds that failed to go off.
    Last edited by joedirt199; 11-21-18 at 20:57.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I've had good service with the Federal Auto Match in the Ruger 22/45, 10-22 standard and CZ Varmint. The 325 count boxes. I still have some SK standard and purple box Lapua from long ago when the OSHA ammo transport ban was looming, but never happed. That was mid 1990's I believe. I think I picked up 25k then. Another sleeper for match is the Wolf Match, seemed to run right with the Match Target line. The SK standard is accurate but finicky in semi's.

https://www.sgammo.com/product/22-lr...0-fps-ammo-am2
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast