I was shopping for a Ruger 10/22 the other day and on a whim I ended up with a TacSol X-Ring Takedown with a Magpul Backpacker Stock. Now I'm wondering with all the super deals on .22LR ammo these days, what's the best ammo to get started with and to stock up on?

I've been seeing the Remington Thunderbolt 40gr stuff out there for less than $0.03 per round, but I have to believe it's so cheap because it's a subpar round. Can anybody speak to that? Also, I have to believe there's stuff out there that is more accurate, clean, forgiving, etc. just as with any other caliber, but I don't know enough to know what it would be. .22 cal has always been an afterthought for me, but now I'd like to get a little more serious about it.

This rifle will be a part of my survival kit, but I'll mostly be using it for fun. I'll do little bit of target shooting, plinking in the mountains, and I intend to suppress it. I don't mind running different ammo for different scenarios, so does anybody have any good recommendations that will work well with the X-Ring Bull Barrel, or should I just be looking at price, price, and price? Also, any other pertinent info like bullet weight, velocity, or anything else that I should consider, including a good subsonic choice, will be greatly appreciated.