Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Big bore revolver need

Feedback Score
    I really have to wonder if a .460 with full loads is better protection against a bear than a cartridge that can be practiced with more often and fired more quickly. Six .460 misses isn't going to save you.

Feedback Score

Big bore revolver need

Quote Originally Posted by Gödel View Post
    I really have to wonder if a .460 with full loads is better protection against a bear than a cartridge that can be practiced with more often and fired more quickly. Six .460 misses isn't going to save you.
    THIS... https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...light=glock+20

Is why a Glock 20 is now my main woods walking gun if I go somewhere with (grizzly) bears. Just for the reason that you mention. Anything else, I’m happy with a big six shooter or even 15+ rounds of 9mm. Thanks Alaskapopo.
    Last edited by Det-Sog; 11-23-18 at 11:24.
    U.S. Army vet. -- Retired 25 year LEO.

Feedback Score
    An actual Alaska resident on one forum wanted to got with 10mm but realized that there really isn't any ammunition in 10mm that would be effective on bear. He ended up with a USP loaded with .45 Super cartridges that did have the right kind of hard cast bullet for bear.

Feedback Score

Big bore revolver need

^^^ He needs to look at that Underwood hard cast 220 Gr 10mm. To each their own. Oh well, I just go to Montana, not Alaska.

Edited. The author of the post that I linked IS an Alaska resident and I’d argue a true SME on this subject. If 10mm is good enough for him...
    Last edited by Det-Sog; 11-23-18 at 11:29.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Det-Sog View Post
    ^^^ He needs to look at that Underwood hard cast 220 Gr 10mm. To each their own. Oh well, I just go to Montana, not Alaska.

Edited. The author of the post that I linked IS an Alaska resident and I’d argue a true SME on this subject. If 10mm is good enough for him...
    The issue appears to be that the hard cast loads weren't reliable in a Glock:

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....1-S-amp-W-1076
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....5-field-pistol

This guy is a super high volume shooter and well respected on Pistol-forum. If the fix for the Glock was simple, I think he would have found it. He tried many commercial loads, different spring systems (including Gen 4) and even Barsto barrels. He's not the only one down on 10mm Glocks with heavy loads - that's not what they're built for and most boutique ammo companies don't do enough testing.
    Last edited by Gödel; 11-23-18 at 12:16.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I apply the same logic to the big city, where Gangstas are a bigger problem than brown bears.

That's why I ditched the compact .45ACP 1911 in favor of the M&P 9mm.

Feedback Score
    The issue appears to be that the hard cast loads weren't reliable in a Glock: If the fix for the Glock was simple, I think he would have found it.
    It is simple, all be it not cheap. I put a Bar-Sto bbl in it and it's a laser now. Deathly accurate with a good lock-up, and will throw out full house hard cast lead like there's no tomorrow. From what I understand, the stock Glock bbls with their geometric rifling pattern are not good for hardcast. You need an old school rifled bbl in there or hardcast can tumble and keyhole.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Factory Glock barrels with polygonal rifling can cause lead to be stripped off and deposited inside the barrel causing obstruction and/or pressure spikes. Theoretically, a cast bullet of an exactly correct hardness could alleviate this issue but with aftermarket conventionally-rifles barrels why bother?

Lots of good advice here on the S&W Mountain Gun series- especially in a handloaded .45 Colt. John Linebaugh has a great article on his website as to why a heavy .45 Colt is superior to a comparable .44 Magum.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Factory Glock barrels with polygonal rifling can cause lead to be stripped off and deposited inside the barrel causing obstruction and/or pressure spikes. Theoretically, a cast bullet of an exactly correct hardness could alleviate this issue but with aftermarket conventionally-rifles barrels why bother?

Lots of good advice here on the S&W Mountain Gun series- especially in a handloaded .45 Colt. John Linebaugh has a great article on his website as to why a heavy .45 Colt is superior to a comparable .44 Magum.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Det-Sog View Post
    It is simple, all be it not cheap. I put a Bar-Sto bbl in it and it's a laser now. Deathly accurate with a good lock-up, and will throw out full house hard cast lead like there's no tomorrow. From what I understand, the stock Glock bbls with their geometric rifling pattern are not good for hardcast. You need an old school rifled bbl in there or hardcast can tumble and keyhole.
    Did you read the linked threads?

He tried Barsto barrels, and the issue was never leading. The issue is feed reliability due to the high slide velocity. All the guns tended to jam at half mag capacity. Not every time, but too often to rely upon - 75% reliable. Not much point in carrying a gun that fails 1 in 4 mags.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast