Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Big bore revolver need

Feedback Score
    Well. I’ve never had a malfunction in my G20. Perhaps I should consider using 200 gr fmj as linked in the article I referenced. Perhaps I’ve been lucky.

Then Again, I’m only in grizzly territory 2-3 weeks a year on vacation. I am no SME nor do I play one on TV.
    U.S. Army vet. -- Retired 25 year LEO.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Det-Sog View Post
    Well. I’ve never had a malfunction in my G20. Perhaps I should consider using 200 gr fmj as linked in the article I referenced. Perhaps I’ve been lucky.

Then Again, I’m only in grizzly territory 2-3 weeks a year on vacation. I am no SME nor do I play one on TV.
    I'm in Thug territory 52 weeks a year. I pack a hi cap nine.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I've fired a friends from church, Smith .460 8.375" with .454 and .460 loads. I had no issues and DA with full .454 rapid fire. My main magnum guns are .41 Mags which I hunt with. I've even carried my .41 Smith 58 in Alaska a few times woods roaming loaded with a home cast 270gr WFN. The .460 been put on my list of wants. For factory ammo you have .45 Schofield, .45 Colt, .454 and .460. I reload, cast and hunt with a handgun so no down issues for me.

CD
    De Oppresso Liber

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I've had a Super Blackhawk Bisley in 454 Casull for a bit now and love it. I mostly shoot 45LC and milder 454 loads out of it mostly. Even shooting full power 454 isn't too bad with the Bisley grip. I bought it to have some fun shooting hogs with it and now I even carry it for deer hunting. Last year I shot a 300lb black bear with 45LC HSM Bear Load 325gr +P loads and he died right where I shot him. Didn't budge.
    Last edited by Watrdawg; 11-26-18 at 15:11.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Performance on game with +P .45 Colt and good cast bullets is about like a 30/06.
    This with proper bullet placement and around 50 yds. IME.

Feedback Score
    I have a Ruger GP-100 3-inch .44 Special I really enjoy.

Installed Wolff Gunsprings' slightly lighter trigger return and hammer springs and did a little polishing. It's pretty nice!

The hot loads from Underwood for woods carry are a 255 gr "Keith" style very wide meplat hard-cast SWC at about 950 fps (IIRC) from the 3-inch barrel. They also make the GP100 .44 in 4 and 5 inch barrels.

I got a nice Falco leather ISWB holster for it and carried it around my daily travels for SD to break it in. (with Georgia Arms 200 gr Gold Dots @850 fps)

I mostly have .44 Russian "cowboy" style ammo for it because it's more accurate than the .44 Specal "cowboy" loads I've tried and I like the way the shorter casings eject. I put about 100 rnds through it every time it comes out. Yea, it's expensive to shoot! It's also fun! And rewarding when I shoot it well...

Firing the hot .44 Specials isn't far from a .44 magnum experience. The Gp100 .44 is a hell of a lot more pleasant to carry than would be a .454-sized or bigger gun. If I recall it weighs about 40 oz.
    Last edited by Ron3; 11-26-18 at 15:17.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    A modern .44 spl gun makes a great handloading platform. You should get into it.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I'm pretty sure it's some sort of a semi-custom production round. It seemed to be insanely expensive (to my sense of cost) at something like $8/round.

Quote Originally Posted by ubet View Post
    Joleski, the loads you shot out of the 500, were they full house hand loads? It also appears that 500 doesn't have a break.

The 6" look like they would be easier to control, because they have the brake and more weight under the barrel all the way out to the muzzle. Any truth to that?

I've handled the 460s in ruger and sw, not shot them, the sw fit my hand better just handling them in the store.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Joelski; 11-26-18 at 17:45.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Uni-Vibe View Post
    A modern .44 spl gun makes a great handloading platform. You should get into it.
    Yea, we've discussed that. On some level I want to. But reloading equipment takes up space and sounds incredibly boring and slightly dangerous.

So until I want to dedicate myself to it I'll be paying $20-$27 / 50 rounds.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Joelski View Post
    I'm pretty sure it's some sort of a semi-custom production round. It seemed to be insanely expensive (to my sense of cost) at something like $8/round.
    Ok, then I am guessing they're full house rounds then. Most mass produced we shot out of my buddies were pretty mild. But no buffalo bore etc. I'd strictly hand load for it.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast