Thread: SR25 & deer hunting

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score

SR25 & deer hunting

Took my first deer with my SR25 ACC w/ MAMS Accupower 1-8 this year. I normally use my 6.8 w/ A1 stock and magpul hand guard but I moved to a field stand and I wanted to be able to reach out so I took my SR25. I've been shooting the SR25 out to 500 yards and I'm comfortable with adjusting scope to different ranges.

So I had a buck walking through the woods, ~150yds and up a hill side. Having snow on the ground allowed me to see him, without the snow I'd not have seen him. So I dial in 4 clicks and take my shot, BOOM! Holy mother of mercy, that hurt my head!! The blind I was sitting in is actually a shooting bench I made this spring, with a small roof. I was sitting on the shooting table to get some elevation. The MAMS makes a LOT of concussion. So after taking the shot, my bell was rung, took me a few seconds to recover. Then realized, where is that deer? Not to be seen. I vowed to never use that gun again for deer hunting, my head still hurt and ears ringing.

Decided to take a walk and look for a blood trail. No need, there laid the deer, right where I shot it. 8 point, decent size.

The next day I did the same thing, with the SR25, except I had ear muffs on. Similar distance and results. One shot and drop in place.
    Added wrong photo, can't figure out how to delete. Meh.

NIXDSG20181118_141628.jpg rut
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by NIXDSG; 11-27-18 at 20:09.