Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SR25 & deer hunting

Feedback Score

SR25 & deer hunting

Took my first deer with my SR25 ACC w/ MAMS Accupower 1-8 this year. I normally use my 6.8 w/ A1 stock and magpul hand guard but I moved to a field stand and I wanted to be able to reach out so I took my SR25. I've been shooting the SR25 out to 500 yards and I'm comfortable with adjusting scope to different ranges.

So I had a buck walking through the woods, ~150yds and up a hill side. Having snow on the ground allowed me to see him, without the snow I'd not have seen him. So I dial in 4 clicks and take my shot, BOOM! Holy mother of mercy, that hurt my head!! The blind I was sitting in is actually a shooting bench I made this spring, with a small roof. I was sitting on the shooting table to get some elevation. The MAMS makes a LOT of concussion. So after taking the shot, my bell was rung, took me a few seconds to recover. Then realized, where is that deer? Not to be seen. I vowed to never use that gun again for deer hunting, my head still hurt and ears ringing.

Decided to take a walk and look for a blood trail. No need, there laid the deer, right where I shot it. 8 point, decent size.

The next day I did the same thing, with the SR25, except I had ear muffs on. Similar distance and results. One shot and drop in place.
    Added wrong photo, can't figure out how to delete. Meh.

NIXDSG20181118_141628.jpg rut
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by NIXDSG; 11-27-18 at 20:09.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Yeah, I don't recommend the MAMS for no ear-pro shooting.
    Brakes, by nature, are loud and throw blast. All a matter of how much recoil reduction you really need.
    If you can hunt with a suppressor, that's the way I usually roll.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    The all amazing SR25 is not known for hunting fury creatures, but a killer no doubt.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    So I knew the MAMS was going to be loud but purchased for recoil mitigation. I got a deer on Saturday, with 6.8, and commented to myself how it wasn't that loud. I didn't think about it when I took out the SR25, was just focused on increased range capability. Wow, it was loud! The next day I took out the SR25 again, and got another deer (3 in total) but I had muffs on.

I didn't buy the SR25 as a hunting rig, but I brought it with as a back up to my 6.8, which is my focused deer rifle. I'll spend more time with this 6.8 to better understand ranging out to 400 yards. And still use the SR25 as my back up :-)

NIXDSG
    Last edited by NIXDSG; 11-27-18 at 20:11.

Feedback Score
    Double post
    Last edited by NIXDSG; 11-22-18 at 10:09.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I been hunting with my SR25 too. I likewise have a MAMS but wear Peltors.

I am remiss to say I hit a rabbit with it and it looked like something out of Doom.

I go hogging with my ECC and my Kimber. Just to be “that guy”

Feedback Score
    I want to be that guy some day, I've never been hog hunting. Really want to. Some day.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by NIXDSG View Post
    I got a deer on Saturday, with 6.8, and commented to myself how it wasn't that loud.
    You are causing irreparable hearing damage with every single shot you take without ear pro. They're your ears and you can do with them as you please, but you should really, really plug or muff up for any and all shooting other than suppressed subsonic rounds.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by NIXDSG View Post
    I want to be that guy some day, I've never been hog hunting. Really want to. Some day.
    If you pass the requisite background check, you can come down South for sweet hog murder times

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    If you pass the requisite background check, you can come down South for sweet hog murder times
    Send me information!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast