Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommendation for canteen?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Question Recommendation for canteen?

Had a USGI plastic canteen for awhile. Still have it but don’t like to use it, as it will leak water from the cap if it sits at a right angle. It’s supposed to be BPA-free but there’s nothing stamped on it to so indicate. It does flex a little.

Submitting this question to the membership hoping to find something better. Something well-made and durable, preferably Made in USA if possible. You Gentlemen have far more field experience than I do, or ever will.

Thanking you in advance...
    ”New levels of dissimulation being reached for - and gained – in the faux journalism/gov spokesmen/shadowy ‘intelligence’ nexus which blends together the worst elements of controlled medias, puppet governments, & mafia-led ‘security’ forces, as our ‘post-reality’ era jets further and further away from any remotely real ‘events,’ authentic ‘leaders,’ & factual reporting.”

~ Yuno

"The future is bright, mostly because flames are on the horizon."

~ Author unknown

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    That canteen shouldn't leak like that. Chuck it, you can get new ones all over the place on the cheap.

USG pilot flask is nice for a pocket, holds half a quart.

Nalgene bottle is the new standard, they're available everywhere, as are many types of carriers.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Nalgene makes a canteen pattern bottle. Much better than the USGI stuff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Buncheong View Post
    Something well-made and durable, preferably Made in USA if possible.
    This one meets your requirements and still works for me, lol. canteen.jpg

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Your canteen is just screwed up, not an inherent design flaw.

Nalgenes mentioned are nice, but the reds and blues could make use in a turkey hunting area exciting.

https://www.nalgene.com/bottles/oasis/

As near as I can tell, USGI canteens have always been metal or HDPE which should indicate BPA free for whatever it matters.

I actually prefer the Nalgene HDPE versus their Tritan stuff and narrow mouth or wide mouth with easy sippers installed.

Other options are stainless or titanium which can be used to heat water if plastic components are removed.

Probably want to skip aluminum since there can be a chemical reaction if used with iodine based water treatment.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Any opposition to using a bladder? I switched to a Camelbak 20+ years ago and haven’t looked back since.
    Philippians 2:10-11

To argue with a person who renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine

“The greatest conspiracy theory is the notion that your government cares about you”- unknown.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    No opposition to a bladder but I have always wondered - are they difficult to keep clean? I’ve long wondered about bacteria in bladders but I freely admit, I have no experience with them, and am ignorant.
    ”New levels of dissimulation being reached for - and gained – in the faux journalism/gov spokesmen/shadowy ‘intelligence’ nexus which blends together the worst elements of controlled medias, puppet governments, & mafia-led ‘security’ forces, as our ‘post-reality’ era jets further and further away from any remotely real ‘events,’ authentic ‘leaders,’ & factual reporting.”

~ Yuno

"The future is bright, mostly because flames are on the horizon."

~ Author unknown

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Not difficult, just have to do it and then hang to dry with the fill port and hose open. Go too long before cleaning (or at least drying out) and crap will start growing in it that will require a more in depth cleaning or possibly necessitate replacement. Not a good idea to put sugary fluids in them for that reason.

It is a good idea to get the cleaning kit for the tube brush, but usually all I do is toss is a few denture cleaner tabs (making sure to let the foam enter the hose) and let them do their thing followed by rinse and let dry.
    Last edited by jsbhike; 11-25-18 at 17:14.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lahunter57 View Post
    Nalgene makes a canteen pattern bottle. Much better than the USGI stuff
    Yep. I run a few of those. Was drinking off of one today at the range. Blackhawk sells them in more milesque colors. I have a blackhawk version and the regular homo blue/gray too.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I've got a couple Nalgenes for stationary use, but have switched entirely to Camelbaks if I'm on the move. Except for few exceptions, I treat them like any other water bottle and clean them with dish soap immediately after use and let them air dry. If I end up unable to clean one the same day, I'll use dish soap and the Camelbak cleaner.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast