G&R Tactical
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Need new SBR barrel: New DD MK18 vs Sionics ERGP

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    WI
    Posts
    1,355
    Feedback Score
    22 (100%)

    Need new SBR barrel: New DD MK18 vs Sionics ERGP

    I want the least gassy barrel I can find. I was sold on the ERGP barrel until I read about the newish MK18 barrels with .070 gas ports.

    My main concern is gas to my face with suppressor use. My current 11.5" barrel is very gassy, I'm a left handed shooter so it's almost unbearable. During more rapid fire my eyes burn making it difficult to see the target.

    So, how are the DD MK18 barrels with the correct size gas port? Any comparison to the ERGP barrels?

    I'm leaning toward the shorter barrel but only if the gas blow back is tame.
    It is from the construction of underground FEMA camps. I can't say more because there a guy parked in front of house in an AMC Pacer. He is acting like he talking on the phone, but I know better.

    I have to sign off now & put my laptop in the microwave.
    - cqbdriver

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Northeast
    Posts
    335
    Feedback Score
    0
    Left shooter here also.

    All I can recommend is my setup which as literally zero gas to face

    10.5 Rosco bloodline barrel
    Left hand upper and BCG from stag
    BCM ambi charging handle

    The lower is a factory colt

    The largest improvement was the conversion to left side ejection with gas to face

    Not sure the gas port size but it must be small as I can only run an H1 buffer.

    Unsuppressed and dirty it wont lock back with cheaper ammo on an H2


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    SWFL
    Posts
    2,872
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zane1844 View Post
    I want the least gassy barrel I can find. I was sold on the ERGP barrel until I read about the newish MK18 barrels with .070 gas ports.

    My main concern is gas to my face with suppressor use. My current 11.5" barrel is very gassy, I'm a left handed shooter so it's almost unbearable. During more rapid fire my eyes burn making it difficult to see the target.

    So, how are the DD MK18 barrels with the correct size gas port? Any comparison to the ERGP barrels?

    I'm leaning toward the shorter barrel but only if the gas blow back is tame.
    10.3” DD barrels going back at least a year and a half are 0.070-0.072 and to be honest, they may be a bit on the undergassed side. I run 2 with VLTOR A5H1 & green sprinco spring. The standard A5H2 with sprinco spring is a bit too heavy for weaker .223 like PMC bronze (and even my HD ammo, federal fusion MSR) and forget about the A5H3 or H4. I say get whatever barrel you want, if you shoot suppressed you are going to get gas in your face, it’s really hard to get around that unfortunately.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    2,370
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Are you running a can?

    I would look at the Sionics ERGP or BRT suppressor drive barrel.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    2,370
    Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    The Mk18 barrel is correctly for unsuppressed use, but will be gassy when suppressed.

    Both the ERGP and our CQB-S suppressor gas drive barrels have significantly smaller ports suitable for dedicated suppressed use.

    If you like your current barrel, it may be just as easy to drop in a CustomTune gas port or EZTune gas tube to cut the gas down appropriately.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Barrels - 16" EXT, 11.5" CAR, 9" PDW
    BRT OPTIMUM-S Barrel - 11.5" CAR Suppressor
    BRT Covert Comps 7.62 + 5.56 + 6X + 9mm
    BRT MarkBlue Gas Tubes - BRT EXT and PDW Lengths
    BRT EZTUNE Gas Tubes - CAR and MID
    BRT MicroPin Gas Blocks .750" & .625"
    BRT MicroTUNE Adjustable Gas Blocks
    BRT CustomTUNE Gas Ports

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    WI
    Posts
    1,355
    Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I'll be shooting it pretty much 100% suppressed. I don't mind some gas to my face, I just want less than what I have now.
    Last edited by Zane1844; 11-22-18 at 21:36.
    It is from the construction of underground FEMA camps. I can't say more because there a guy parked in front of house in an AMC Pacer. He is acting like he talking on the phone, but I know better.

    I have to sign off now & put my laptop in the microwave.
    - cqbdriver

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    129
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrioticDisorder View Post
    10.3 DD barrels going back at least a year and a half are 0.070-0.072 and to be honest, they may be a bit on the undergassed side. I run 2 with VLTOR A5H1 & green sprinco spring. The standard A5H2 with sprinco spring is a bit too heavy for weaker .223 like PMC bronze (and even my HD ammo, federal fusion MSR) and forget about the A5H3 or H4. I say get whatever barrel you want, if you shoot suppressed you are going to get gas in your face, its really hard to get around that unfortunately.
    Are you shooting suppressed with H1 buffer? I would think even with vltor system, you will still need H3 buffer.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    WI
    Posts
    1,355
    Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I ended up with the MK18 upper, Black Friday sales were hard to resist. Pretty excited to try it out.
    It is from the construction of underground FEMA camps. I can't say more because there a guy parked in front of house in an AMC Pacer. He is acting like he talking on the phone, but I know better.

    I have to sign off now & put my laptop in the microwave.
    - cqbdriver

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    SWFL
    Posts
    2,872
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kukworld View Post
    Are you shooting suppressed with H1 buffer? I would think even with vltor system, you will still need H3 buffer.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It runs fine suppressed with H1/H2/H3, the issue was it wouldn’t reliably cycle low powered .223 with H2/H3.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •