Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Pistol to SBR back to Pistol?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Concrete answer: A pistol may be reconfigured as a rifle. It is legal to then return it back to a pistol. This is according to the BATF.

SBRs must have a letter from the BATF to be transported out of state in an SBR configuration. An SBR lower does not need such letter of it is not configured with a barrel with a length shorter than 16 inches.

A pistol or rifle registered as an SBR is registered as a short barreled rifle.

No letter is needed to transport a pistol out of state.

You can get this information by researching the BATF regulations.
    Last edited by MistWolf; 11-23-18 at 12:25.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Thank you.

As I understand then... if I replace the stock with a SBA3 stock... I’ve reconfigured my SBR into an AR pistol...???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Considering doing a form 1 is considered "manufacturing" as it requires putting the maker's name and address on it, and seeing that what determines whether a firearm is a pistol or a rifle is how the paperwork was marked and how the weapon was configured when it was manufactured, it stands to reason that you cannot turn a form 1'd SBR back into a pistol. Whatever it was before being SBR'd, after being SBR'd it was manufactured as a legal "rifle" and thus cannot ever be made a pistol.

Don't give the leftists embedded in ATF any new regulatory ideas by sending them questions.

Buy another lower to use as a pistol. Your health is worth the cost of an AR lower.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleW View Post
    Once a lower has been a rifle, be it an SBR, or regular rifle, it can NEVER be a pistol again, no matter what.
    SCOTUS says otherwise.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    There is a way of doing it, but I believe you must start with a pistol. Look into the Beretta Neos kit... only knowledge of it that I know of.

If you take a pistol and create the rifle, the 16+” barrel must be on prior to putting the stock on... and on until after you pull the stock off. Not doing so will create a SBR.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)

Pistol to SBR back to Pistol?

Damn. Now I don’t know what to do.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankW View Post
    Thank you.

As I understand then... if I replace the stock with a SBA3 stock... I’ve reconfigured my SBR into an AR pistol...???
    I don't know. However, I err on the side of caution. I do not take my SBR lower out of state with a short barreled upper, with or without a buttstock, unless I have the proper permission slip from the BATF.

Buy a pistol lower. It's much cheaper than mounting a legal defense.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleW View Post
    Once a lower has been a rifle, be it an SBR, or regular rifle, it can NEVER be a pistol again, no matter what.
    United States v. Thompson/Center Arms Co., 504 U.S. 505 (1992) may say otherwise.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    I don't know. However, I err on the side of caution. I do not take my SBR lower out of state with a short barreled upper, with or without a buttstock, unless I have the proper permission slip from the BATF.

Buy a pistol lower. It's much cheaper than mounting a legal defense.
    Your probably right. But I HATE having unused gear/equipment laying around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast