Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Barrel Nut Removal Tips?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by medicman816 View Post
    There was definitely grease on the threads. It was whiter than other barrel grease that I have seen, but my sample size is small here. Seemed almost like pipe dope.

The more I think about it I think it was just on really tight. It seemed like a tire lug nut that is put on with an air impact wrench. A regular lug wrench won't budge it, but a cheater bar makes it seem rather easy. Had it been seized, the oil and heat should have worked, or the clamshell wouldn't have either.
    Looks like BCM doesn't use good stuff on the threads to prevent galling/seizing and ease future nut removal. Anyone know exactly what they use? Is it just plain white lithium grease?

Was the white stuff oily or dried out? EDIT: nevermind, you soaked it in oil for 3 weeks lol.

FWIW, Colt uses Molykote G-N Metal Assembly Paste. Probably to prevent this very thing from happening.
    Last edited by Artiz; 01-05-19 at 12:21.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    [QUOTE=556Cliff;2678726]People seem to like these ones. > https://www.btibrands.com/product/de...e-block-clamp/

Was this one, from these guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Artiz View Post
    Looks like BCM doesn't use proper stuff on the threads to prevent galling/seizing and ease future nut removal. Anyone know exactly what they use? Is it just plain white lithium grease?

FWIW, Colt uses Molykote G-N Metal Assembly Paste.
    Can't comment on this as I have no idea if the stuff they used meets the "spec." There was no galling/seizing. Removal was easy once I got the proper tool. Was probably on the upper range of the torque spec. As stated above, it seems logical that the "reaction rod" was trying to shear the alignment pin rather than turning the nut. My sample size it too small to be all scientific about it though.
    nothing screams napoleonic warfare more than cannons roaring in the background

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by medicman816 View Post
    As stated above, it seems logical that the "reaction rod" was trying to shear the alignment pin rather than turning the nut. My sample size it too small to be all scientific about it though.
    Yes, reaction rods transfer the torque into the index pin and upper slot, while upper blocks and the like transfer the torque through the threads/upper as it should be, that's where the torque in the nut exerts force to keep it in place, in the threads.
    Last edited by Artiz; 01-05-19 at 12:52.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456