Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Barrel Nut Removal Tips?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    (I'd guess that Brownell's didn't put flats or their barrel extension tool and wrote the instructions as they did to avoid conflict with Geissele)
    Actually, I'm pretty sure the Brownells barrel extension tool predates the Geissele Reaction Rod by a little... I may be wrong about that though.

I remember seeing it when it first came out and thinking to myself, "that's a terrible idea" with the way the instructions read.
    Last edited by 556Cliff; 11-24-18 at 13:28.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 556Cliff View Post
    Actually, I'm pretty sure the Brownells barrel extension tool predates the Geissele Reaction Rod by a little... I may be wrong about that though.

I remember seeing it when it first came out and thinking to myself, "that's a terrible idea" with the way the instructions read.
    I don't know, either. They both show up in threads from 2012 on this site.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    With my first BCM, I actually broke the upper receiver trying to remove the barrel nut. Tried many of the suggestions in this thread, but as you know, that sucker is on tight. The second time I needed to remove a barrel nut from a BCM, I went straight to cutting it off.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jackblack73 View Post
    With my first BCM, I actually broke the upper receiver trying to remove the barrel nut. Tried many of the suggestions in this thread, but as you know, that sucker is on tight. The second time I needed to remove a barrel nut from a BCM, I went straight to cutting it off.
    I'm glad you can get blemished ones nowadays on the cheap. Did you end purchasing new upper?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by taekwondopreacher View Post
    I'm glad you can get blemished ones nowadays on the cheap. Did you end purchasing new upper?
    This was my first AR and a complete BCM rifle. So fortunately BCM let me buy a new upper receiver with the BCM marking at a slight discount, as long as I sent them the old one. So I sent them everything and had them remove the barrel nut and, of course, send back to me uninstalled.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I’d send it to BCM and ask them to remove it. If they won’t ask for a warranty repair and to have the barrel nut installed to spec which it clearly isn’t.

I’ve disassembled Colt factory uppers and the barrel but comes off with a crappy AR multi wrench and firm hand force. I’m no Superman either, technically I have a light build.

This makes me never want to buy a BCM upper with a factory barrel nut. Thanks for the heads up.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Had one mil-spec barrel nut give fits. Eventually dremeled the delta assembly off due to I had no more hand strength left to press the wrench against the nut. Strongest spring I'd ever seen. Removing the hand guards confirmed it. I used penetrating fluids, frozen it, heated it (multiple times) to the point of melting the front of the receiver block (with indirect heat-gun heat), 9 lb sledge, 4-5 ft breaker bar, hours and hours. Gave up. Told a buddy about it the following morning and he said bring it over. Took my block and receiver, put them in his vise and said, "Hand me that "gun" wrench. Sticks the wrench on and one wack with a very nice, high dollar dead blow hammer broke the nut loose easily. Didn't even wind up, just a nice wack. From the time I handed the wrench to him, less than thirty seconds it was freed. Stunned, I shook my head and thanked him. Receiver and pin were just fine. Sometimes crap just happens. Sure seems to be the norm with the BCMs.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bamashooter View Post
    Had one mil-spec barrel nut give fits. Eventually dremeled the delta assembly off due to I had no more hand strength left to press the wrench against the nut. Strongest spring I'd ever seen. Removing the hand guards confirmed it. I used penetrating fluids, frozen it, heated it (multiple times) to the point of melting the front of the receiver block (with indirect heat-gun heat), 9 lb sledge, 4-5 ft breaker bar, hours and hours. Gave up. Told a buddy about it the following morning and he said bring it over. Took my block and receiver, put them in his vise and said, "Hand me that "gun" wrench. Sticks the wrench on and one wack with a very nice, high dollar dead blow hammer broke the nut loose easily. Didn't even wind up, just a nice wack. From the time I handed the wrench to him, less than thirty seconds it was freed. Stunned, I shook my head and thanked him. Receiver and pin were just fine. Sometimes crap just happens. Sure seems to be the norm with the BCMs.
    Do you remember seeing any sign of grease on the disassembled receiver and barrel nut?

I also have a very nice, high dollar (Snap-On) dead blow hammer at my disposal, so I will keep that in mind.
    Last edited by 556Cliff; 11-25-18 at 23:12.

Feedback Score
    I removed a BCM barrel nut the other day. I was using the Magpul Armorers Wrench. It was definitely on there, but I got it off with some serious weight behind it.

My barrel nut and receiver both had grease on the threads.

Jeff
    Last edited by goaltendah1; 11-26-18 at 04:22. Reason: Spelling...damn phone.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by goaltendah1 View Post
    I removed a BCM barrel nut the other day. I was using the Magpul Armorers Wrench. It was definitely on there, but I got it off with some serious weight behind it.

My barrel nut and receiver both had grease on the threads.

Jeff
    White lithium or Moly?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast