Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Barrel Nut Removal Tips?

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    PROTIP: When removing bbl nuts ALWAYS use the clam shell type upper block which also has the inner upper support piece. I use the Brownells one. If you're worried about it leaving rub marks on your upper use masking/painters tape on the upper where the block contact it. I'd also suggest using the multiple pinned side of the Magpul wrench.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I put a piece of pipe on the end of my wrench to give me more leverage...gives me better feel I thought. I also use the clam shell.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 556Cliff View Post
    Do you remember seeing any sign of grease on the disassembled receiver and barrel nut?

I also have a very nice, high dollar (Snap-On) dead blow hammer at my disposal, so I will keep that in mind.
    Though I observed a fine white line where the barrel nut attaches to the rcvr, it was a thick grease-like substance. However, like one other I did, it was not on the threads of the nut or receiver. Almost like a perfect bead of soft caulk. I mean perfect. Perhaps a tiny concave toward the receiver. I was under the impression that the threads had been lubed and the "bead" I observed was "squished-out" grease. Evidently not the case. I remember because I ran a toothpick around the circumference about a 1/2" or so and a tiny bit stuck (very thin smear) to the toothpick. Bottom line, neither 2 had any visible substance on the barrel nut or receiver thread. Dry as a bone. I have the nut and cut-up pieces of delta assembly stored in a baggie. Just pulled them out, examined, ran finger, all of that kind of stuff and there's zero substance on them. One of the nuts was a PSA assembly and the one where the dead-blow was used was DPMS.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bamashooter View Post
    Though I observed a fine white line where the barrel nut attaches to the rcvr, it was a thick grease-like substance. However, like one other I did, it was not on the threads of the nut or receiver. Almost like a perfect bead of soft caulk. I mean perfect. Perhaps a tiny concave toward the receiver. I was under the impression that the threads had been lubed and the "bead" I observed was "squished-out" grease. Evidently not the case. I remember because I ran a toothpick around the circumference about a 1/2" or so and a tiny bit stuck (very thin smear) to the toothpick. Bottom line, neither 2 had any visible substance on the barrel nut or receiver thread. Dry as a bone. I have the nut and cut-up pieces of delta assembly stored in a baggie. Just pulled them out, examined, ran finger, all of that kind of stuff and there's zero substance on them. One of the nuts was a PSA assembly and the one where the dead-blow was used was DPMS.
    Thanks for checking... Proper assembly with moly grease seems to be hit or miss outside of Colt.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 556Cliff View Post
    White lithium or Moly?
    I honestly don't know. It was silver/gray in appearance.

Jeff
    Last edited by goaltendah1; 11-26-18 at 15:43.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by goaltendah1 View Post

Jeff
    Doesn't sound like white lithium grease, maybe they've changed to something different.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by goaltendah1 View Post

Jeff
    More than likely it was Aeroshell 33MS
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    I wonder if the OP removed the barrel nut?
    Tricks and treachery are the practice of fools, that don't have brains enough to be honest.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Still waiting on the clam shell vise block to arrive. Guess they were overwhelmed with Black Friday orders. Hoping by the weekend but no rush at the moment. Was hoping to get it off when I originally posted as I had a shooting trip planned. Will be a week or two till I can go again.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    And... SUCCESS!!!
    Big thanks to everyone who. All of this knowledge is certainly going in my toolbox for later use.
    21 days after the original post (read about it below if you're so inclined)
    I totally recommend the clam shell style vise block listed above. The nut was off within a minute and with what seemed like much less effort than the reaction rod, not to mention less than 1/2 of the price.

Boy was this an interesting ride. The first clamshell was ordered along with a few other items on a black friday sale. I missed the email from the retailer saying "sorry, we no longer carry it but were shipping the rest of your order anyways." The order arrived and, surprise, no vise block. I then ordered through the retailer listed above, got a confirmation page afterwards, but no e-mail, until 3 days later saying "you have this in your cart, did you still want it." So "ordered it" a second time and it finally arrived today.
    nothing screams napoleonic warfare more than cannons roaring in the background

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast