Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Idea for when you get a new carry pistol

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Idea for when you get a new carry pistol

Get two! Modern plastic pistols aren't that expensive. And you could always find a used one of the same model.

You break the new one in, shoot enough of your chosen ammo to make sure it's 100%, and then carry that one.

The other one is the beater gun: shoot it a million times, compete with it, plink with it, bang it around.

Y'all think this is maybe a good idea?

Feedback Score
    Sound logic to me, although I rotate two G19's for range duty and carry. That being said, Glocks can go a few hundred thousand rounds before barrel replacement, Etc.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    A reasonable idea, but definitely shoot one example enough to be sure you actually like it before buying two. And don't buy a second if that uses up the only money that would otherwise pay for practice or instruction. Quality pistols will hold up to more shooting than typical owners will put on them. (Weekly USPSA competitors are not typical.)

Quote Originally Posted by Linebacker View Post
    Sound logic to me, although I rotate two G19's for range duty and carry. That being said, Glocks can go a few hundred thousand rounds before barrel replacement, Etc.
    Not literally true - I've only seen one plausible claim of >100,000 rounds on a single Glock, it was a G17, and things were showing significant wear by that time. Still astounding durability for a plastic pistol.

Realistically, do you want to carry the just-broken-in pistol with 1k rounds or the worn out trainer with 100k? ("Realistically" assuming you actually shoot that much.)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR
    I strongly recommend purchasing two or three identical pistols once you have decided upon the model that you plan to use, carry, and train with. I dedicate one pistol for carry after thoroughly vetting function with 1000 or so rounds through it. Another identical pistol is solely used for training--it is shot till it breaks with minimal cleaning or babying during its service life. If I am able to afford a third pistol, it serves as a back-up to the other two and usually sits in an easily accessible safe as a readily available personal defense weapon mounting an x300u light.
    Pretty old idea, the thought process has been around for ages, especially when considering the possibility of having your firearm being taken for investigation if you get into a shooting.
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    This has been around for a while. Lots of guys here train/compete with one and carry the other.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    What kind of lame ass dipshit would buy or think they need more than one of the same pistol?

“Where weapons may not be carried, it is well to carry weapons.”

Feedback Score
    If you have the kind of ammo budget that you're worried about the wear you're putting on your carry gun, then you can certainly afford a second pistol.

I'm amazed how many people have that sort cash.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gödel View Post
    If you have the kind of ammo budget that you're worried about the wear you're putting on your carry gun, then you can certainly afford a second pistol.

Back when I was into M&Ps my 9fs just stopped extracting a few months after purchase. So now I could send it in and wait without a gun or run out and buy a new gun quickly and go put a case of ammo through it before Sunday is over to make sure it functions so that Monday I can carry it!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Gödel View Post

I think more people do than will admit it.
    People blow $100 on booze or eating out on the weekend. Lay off for 1 month and you got your pistol.
    People spend $200/month or more on cable, high speed internet, etc.
    People buy gaming computers, golf clubs, upgrade cars, video games, cigarettes, etc.

$500 on a gun is not much money on anything else, but a lifetime purchase for a gun and people “cant afford it” yet do all the things listed above.

Feedback Score
    A good idea, but far from a new revelation.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast