Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Idea for when you get a new carry pistol

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    I think more people do than will admit it.
    People blow $100 on booze or eating out on the weekend. Lay off for 1 month and you got your pistol.
    People spend $200/month or more on cable, high speed internet, etc.
    People buy gaming computers, golf clubs, upgrade cars, video games, cigarettes, etc.

$500 on a gun is not much money on anything else, but a lifetime purchase for a gun and people “cant afford it” yet do all the things listed above.
    I don't own a smartphone; I pay $10/mo. to keep my current cell phone active... it calls and texts, but that's not the point. The money I'm not spending on the data plan & phone, I can buy ~ 10k rounds of 9mm/year or (6k of 223/year) based on current prices.

So there ya go. All about priorities.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Talon167 View Post
    I don't own a smartphone; I pay $10/mo. to keep my current cell phone active... it calls and texts, but that's not the point. The money I'm not spending on the data plan & phone, I can buy ~ 10k rounds of 9mm/year or (6k of 223/year) based on current prices.

So there ya go. All about priorities.
    That's true for anything.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Wow, revolutionary...

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I did that with my G22... bought a G17 to practice with for cheap. Same target sights, holsters, etc.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    I think more people do than will admit it.
    People blow $100 on booze or eating out on the weekend. Lay off for 1 month and you got your pistol.
    People spend $200/month or more on cable, high speed internet, etc.
    People buy gaming computers, golf clubs, upgrade cars, video games, cigarettes, etc.

$500 on a gun is not much money on anything else, but a lifetime purchase for a gun and people “cant afford it” yet do all the things listed above.
    My point was that you have to spend an enormous amount of money in ammo to break a decent pistol (unless it is not so decent - M&P).

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gödel View Post
    My point was that you DONT have to spend an enormous amount of money in ammo to break a decent pistol (unless it is not so decent - M&P).
    Did I fix that for you?

This stuff about putting 500 or more rounds through the pistol before deeming it reliable for carry is nonsense.

There may be a need for you to expend that many rounds, or more, gaining competency with a new trigger, e.g. Glock to DA/SA, but not to prove the pistol works.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    Did I fix that for you?

This stuff about putting 500 or more rounds through the pistol before deeming it reliable for carry is nonsense.

There may be a need for you to expend that many rounds, or more, gaining competency with a new trigger, e.g. Glock to DA/SA, but not to prove the pistol works.
    Nope. Did you think I wrote "break in" when I actually wrote "break"?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I think the OPs idea is sound. Not new, but good.

As Clint Smith says: two is one, one is none.

For that matter, it's a good idea if, after a self-defense shooting, the pistol you used is kept for evidence for an indefinite time. You'll still be armed with something identical, which is ideal, I feel.

Feedback Score
    The basic idea is sound and reasonable - if I actually thought my life was at real risk. But most gun people have several handguns, and there is no reason you can't be quite competent with two fairly different platforms, should one be in the shop.

By all means, don't apply my comments to the members of Delta Force, but we do have a tendency to over-game this sort of thing. I can't think of anything more boring than owning multiple G19s.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I think some pistol-packers I know are making the opposite mistake.

If it's Monday, they're carrying the G17. Tuesday, the 1911. Wednesday, how about the P226 for a change? Saturday, gotta have the M&P . . . or maybe that new H&K.

If they ever get into a poop-storm, they don't know what's in the holster.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast