Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Efile ATF Information Thread

Feedback Score
    Here are some of my thoughts or experiences with the Form 1 eFile process.
    The first time I used eFile was back in 10/2020. I "made" my 870 Tac-14 into an SBS (short barrel shotgun). The process took a total of 17 days from submission to approval. During this time, I got my receiver engraved. I already had the tools and parts (just an old stock laying around) to readily remove my existing arm brace and replace it with a stock.

The 2nd attempt at eFile was a frustrating disaster. I thought I submitted my eFiled Form 1 to "make" an AR pistol into an SBR. After a few attempts using my Safari browser (Chrome didn't work) I seemed to have gotten my Form 1 submitted, but with the caveat of it being held for further investigation.

I'd typed in my own description as to what I'd bought (basically an off the shelf BCM AR pistol) as the existing descriptions in the eFile drop-down-menu didn't have exactly what I'd bought. As I wanted to be accurate, I was prepared for a bit of an extra wait for ATF to get it right with the description. The ATF website merely said "further investigation" will cause a delay in processing, but didn't give an estimate as to how long.

During the next 3 months of waiting and checking the ATF website, there was no activity regarding my submission. I called and spoke with the ATF customer service telephone personnel 4 or 5 times. The first couple of times, the call-takers just said to wait and they believed things would go through just fine. Another time, a call-taker told me ATF was now taking 90 days to process such forms needing investigation, but to keep looking for an email which would next tell me to send in my fingerprint cards.

After ~3 months, I called again and the call-taker, this time, said there was nothing happening with my assigned Form 1 "I.D." number. No forthcoming permit number had ever been issued either with the I.D. number or firearm's serial number. He advised I resubmit again using something from the existing drop-down menu description; and to separately send a request to cancel the original "I.D." number to get a refund of my initial $200 for the SBR.

This time, the SBR paperwork went through in ~month (1/14/21 to 2/19/21) and I just received the email with tax stamp approval paperwork this morning (at ~0321 hours Pacific time, btw).

If at all possible, I recommend submitting a Form1 eFile, but only if using an existing description from ATF website's drop down menu even if you don't feel it's exactly accurate.

Also, my problems were likely also related to ATF's website constantly crashing while trying to input the data to submit the eForm1.

Regarding the refund, I never got a response from ATF regarding my refund request but I then contacted my credit card company (AMEX) to dispute the charge and the charge was immediately refunded, although pending futher research and response from ATF (if they ever even get one).

I'm probably left or forgotten some details but I've finally received the SBR approval and took ~10 minutes to find a spare stock laying around; remove the arm brace; and install the collapsible stock instead.

It can all be frustrating with:
    -ATF website (very frustrating and getting the expected $200 charge to credit card)
    -getting fingerprints taken (not too bad in Nevada)
    -FEDEX or UPS to send the fingerprint cards (getting a tracking number and yet paying more money, but not too bad)
    -ensuring the fingerprint card package was received (routine)
    -then waiting a month or so (very frustrating as the call-takers don't have much info or advice, meanwhile you're out $200 but do have a pending tax stamp number even though you can't really use just the number).

I suppose I'd feel much better if I'd only have to have waited ~month and the previous 3 months weren't "lost" with my initial SBR submission going into "limbo".
    Last edited by L-2; 02-19-21 at 15:37.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    ^ damn what a pain in the ass that sounds like. I submitted my second SBR Form 1 via Efile in January and it went to “Pending Research” due to the make of lower apparently not being in their manufacturer database. I wonder if I’ve got a similar headache coming my way.

Feedback Score
    Pending research seems to be a bottomless pit these days. The thing is that if they actually kept up with them, they'd have far fewer that go pending research.
    Last edited by Bret; 04-13-21 at 20:05.

Feedback Score
    My pending research from October 27th just changed to submitted status. So that's just shy of four months. At least they're moving.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by L-2 View Post
    Here are some of my thoughts or experiences with the Form 1 eFile process.
    The first time I used eFile was back in 10/2020. I "made" my 870 Tac-14 into an SBS (short barrel shotgun). The process took a total of 17 days from submission to approval. During this time, I got my receiver engraved. I already had the tools and parts (just an old stock laying around) to readily remove my existing arm brace and replace it with a stock.

The 2nd attempt at eFile was a frustrating disaster. I thought I submitted my eFiled Form 1 to "make" an AR pistol into an SBR. After a few attempts using my Safari browser (Chrome didn't work) I seemed to have gotten my Form 1 submitted, but with the caveat of it being held for further investigation.

I'd typed in my own description as to what I'd bought (basically an off the shelf BCM AR pistol) as the existing descriptions in the eFile drop-down-menu didn't have exactly what I'd bought. As I wanted to be accurate, I was prepared for a bit of an extra wait for ATF to get it right with the description. The ATF website merely said "further investigation" will cause a delay in processing, but didn't give an estimate as to how long.

During the next 3 months of waiting and checking the ATF website, there was no activity regarding my submission. I called and spoke with the ATF customer service telephone personnel 4 or 5 times. The first couple of times, the call-takers just said to wait and they believed things would go through just fine. Another time, a call-taker told me ATF was now taking 90 days to process such forms needing investigation, but to keep looking for an email which would next tell me to send in my fingerprint cards.

After ~3 months, I called again and the call-taker, this time, said there was nothing happening with my assigned Form 1 "I.D." number. No forthcoming permit number had ever been issued either with the I.D. number or firearm's serial number. He advised I resubmit again using something from the existing drop-down menu description; and to separately send a request to cancel the original "I.D." number to get a refund of my initial $200 for the SBR.

This time, the SBR paperwork went through in ~month (1/14/21 to 2/19/21) and I just received the email with tax stamp approval paperwork this morning (at ~0321 hours Pacific time, btw).

If at all possible, I recommend submitting a Form1 eFile, but only if using an existing description from ATF website's drop down menu even if you don't feel it's exactly accurate.

Also, my problems were likely also related to ATF's website constantly crashing while trying to input the data to submit the eForm1.

Regarding the refund, I never got a response from ATF regarding my refund request but I then contacted my credit card company (AMEX) to dispute the charge and the charge was immediately refunded, although pending futher research and response from ATF (if they ever even get one).

I'm probably left or forgotten some details but I've finally received the SBR approval and took ~10 minutes to find a spare stock laying around; remove the arm brace; and install the collapsible stock instead.

It can all be frustrating with:
    -ATF website (very frustrating and getting the expected $200 charge to credit card)
    -getting fingerprints taken (not too bad in Nevada)
    -FEDEX or UPS to send the fingerprint cards (getting a tracking number and yet paying more money, but not too bad)
    -ensuring the fingerprint card package was received (routine)
    -then waiting a month or so (very frustrating as the call-takers don't have much info or advice, meanwhile you're out $200 but do have a pending tax stamp number even though you can't really use just the number).

I suppose I'd feel much better if I'd only have to have waited ~month and the previous 3 months weren't "lost" with my initial SBR submission going into "limbo".
    The form should take less than five minutes to fill out. Not an hour or more. The frequent crashing is VERY frustrating.
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by usmcvet View Post
    The form should take less than five minutes to fill out. Not an hour or more. The frequent crashing is VERY frustrating.
    Has anyone else gotten the "Due to reported errors... site will be shutting down for maintenance." BLIP gone?
    Go Ukraine! Piss on the Russian dead.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456