Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Efile ATF Information Thread

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)

Efile ATF Information Thread

Hey guys.
    I wanted to start a thread regarding e-filing of form 1s to the ATF.
    I registered on eforms.atf.gov and began to start my Form 1. I had a problem uploading my photo so I signed on the site with my iPhone and was able to upload the photo. I logged off of the iPhone and back onto my computer and continued filling out the form. I saved my work and then had to do a few things. I then logged back in and and pressed edit form and I'm now unable to get into my form and complete it. I have tried Fire Fox, Google Chrome, Internet Explorer and Safari and I keep getting this error message.
    Please share your experiences and advice.....

Untitled by Cory Fluck, on Flickr
    "Perfect Practice Makes Perfect"
    "There are 550 million firearms on this planet. That's one firearm for every 12 people. The question is... How do we arm the other 11?" Lord of War.
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    That was the error page you would get when the system use to go down for maintenance... use to be All day Wednesday's.

Feedback Score
    I have always done the form 1 via the mail and paper application. I have an NFA Trust and want to try e-file. The Trust paperwork is still paper. To do the e-file and submit the Trust documents, can I just have the entire document in a .pdf and upload it?
    Maj. USAR (Ret) 160th SOAR, 2/17 CAV
    NRA Life Member
    Black Mesa Ranch. Raising Fine Cattle and Horses in San Miguel County since 1879

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Yes, it gives you an opportunity to upload a copy of your trust.

There is a size limit, however, so you may have to break it up into bite-sized chunks for the website. I do not recall the size limit off the top of my head.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    Yes, it gives you an opportunity to upload a copy of your trust.

There is a size limit, however, so you may have to break it up into bite-sized chunks for the website. I do not recall the size limit off the top of my head.
    I don't know if it's changed, but it used to be a max of 10 attachments @ 3MB apiece. I have this info in the old Visual guide sticky:

There's often a discussion about file size for attachments, and people having trouble getting their document scanned into a single file 3MB or less. I've always tried to point out that checking the settings is the key. B&W scans are significantly smaller than color, even if the document is nothing but black text. You also don't need extremely high dpi to make it readable.*

I took a single paper Form 1 I had (so there is one small color section, the stamp itself) and scanned it on my Brother multi-function printer multiple times using every quality option I had available. Here are the results:*

B&W 100dpi = 36KB
    B&W 200dpi = 77KB
    B&W 300dpi = 133KB
    Color 100dpi = 113KB
    Color 200dpi = 313KB
    Color 300dpi = 573KB
    Color 600dpi = 1,228KB

So, based on that sample, a color scan is 3-4.5 times the size of a B&W scan. My trust scanned in at ~7MB at the default setting of 200dpi color. I submitted a 200dpi B&W copy which was only 1.7MB.

The trust I scanned in that example was under 2MB, and I think it was 30 pages at the time. So there's not much reason for anybody not to be able to fit it all in one PDF.

Feedback Score
    My problem is Adobe .pdf documents. If you've got 15-20 pages, it's usually a large file. I am going to have see if I can scan the pages in that format at a lower resolution.
    NRA Life Member
    Black Mesa Ranch. Raising Fine Cattle and Horses in San Miguel County since 1879

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Save the file in something besides Adobe.

Do you use H&R block tax by any chance? If so you have PDF995 installed most likely. Print to that instead. Or... go into Adobe and use the 'optimize' 'compress' ... I forget the word adobe uses.

I make 20+ page documents as a routine and they are loaded with pictures, forms, text. All manner of stuff. Very seldom they reach 3M. Usually closer to 2M.

You shouldn't have to compromise your scanning reproduction to get a small pdf but Adobe likes to make biggest file for reasons I have never known. None of the other pdf software does that.

Feedback Score
    A wealth of information here, for sure. Here's another question. I have not done a Form 1 since the new regulations under 41F went in place regarding finger prints, etc. I know I will have to have the fingerprint cards done, and some new form about myself. My wife is listed on the trust as a Successor Trustee, but there are no other names on the Trust. From what I have read, as a Successor Trustee, she does not need to be finger printed or any other paperwork because she currently has no power under the Trust. If I were to expire, then she would take on the roll of Trustee and do the complete background check, etc.

Am I thinking this correctly? This is for a Form 1 SBR I am getting ready to send in and wanted to verify that my wife does not have to do any paperwork.
    NRA Life Member

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I just dropped a lower off to be engraved and started the process for e-filing my first Form 1 and had a couple questions on the process so far:
    In the section "Responsible Persons" what is the correct entry to put in the "Title" box if one is filing as an Individual? The examples on the site appeared to be more geared toward people going the Trust route.

Also, who is the proper person to list as my CLEO? I had always been under the impression it was the Sheriff of the county I reside in, however one of the tutorials online I looked at was using their State Attorney General, which was a new one to me. But I figured I'd better ask.

I'm sure I'll have more questions before this is over.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Circle_10 View Post
    Also, who is the proper person to list as my CLEO? I had always been under the impression it was the Sheriff of the county I reside in, however one of the tutorials online I looked at was using their State Attorney General, which was a new one to me. But I figured I'd better ask.
    Lots of people make the same assumption...that it's the Sheriff or Chief of Police. Truth is dozens of people qualify, at both the state and local level. Most of us think state level gives you a little anonymity. I believe Silencer Shop sends theirs to the state AG.

Directly from the instructions on the form:

g. Law Enforcement Notification. The applicant must provide a copy of the Form 1 to the chief law enforcement officer (CLEO) who has jurisdiction over the area of the applicant’s address shown in item 3b of the Form 1. In addition, if the applicant is other than an individual, a copy of the Form 5320.23, National Firearms Act (NFA) Responsible Person Questionnaire, for each responsible person must be provided to their respective chief law enforcement officer. The chief law enforcement officer is considered to be the Chief of Police; the Sheriff; the Head of the State Police; or a State or local district attorney or prosecutor.

And this used to be in the FAQ on ATF.gov before they redid the list:

Who may qualify as a certifying official on an ATF Form 1 or ATF Form 4 for the making or transfer of an NFA firearm?
    As provided by regulations, certifications by the local chief of police, sheriff of the county, head of the State police, or State or local district attorney or prosecutor are acceptable. The regulations also provide that certifications of other officials are appropriate if found in a particular case to be acceptable to the Director. Examples of other officials who have been accepted in specific situations include State attorneys general and judges of State courts having authority to conduct jury trials in felony cases.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast