Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Barrel for mini recce

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fledge View Post
    If you want it flush with that 9.3” rail, you need a 10” barrel. Sage Dynamics was showing off a SMOS 10.5 barrel at 300yds a while back. Great barrels if you can find one.
    Geissele is selling 10” Federal rails this weekend. That’s what I’m using.

My YHM Turbo has a mount that gives me room to allow for clearance. The rail should stop right at the base of the shoulder. Even if it overhangs a little, the shoulder is smaller diameter than the handguard ID.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beemill2142 View Post
    Exactly. Only problem is I may have to sell that barrel (500 rounds through it) to fund the 10.5. Kids are expensive.
    So why not put the 1-6x on the Afghan?

If the Afghan is your one and only AR, then you could switch a red dot and LPVO on the same upper instead of having a second dedicated upper. Or just roll with the LPVO and call it a day.

And yeah, I know that’s not as fun as having whatever you want. Just being practical...I have kids too! Haha

Feedback Score
    I don’t think my picture showed up. New here - how do I insert a picture into a reply from an iPhone?

Quote Originally Posted by Ironman8 View Post
    So why not put the 1-6x on the Afghan?

If the Afghan is your one and only AR, then you could switch a red dot and LPVO on the same upper instead of having a second dedicated upper. Or just roll with the LPVO and call it a day.

And yeah, I know that’s not as fun as having whatever you want. Just being practical...I have kids too! Haha
    That’s a very valid point and is something I’ve been internally struggling with. I just eFiled my Form1 to SBR the lower that the 14.5 is on - it’s pinned. The wait times are so short now that I had to jump on it. I guess I really wanted the 10.5 to make the $200 stamp worth it.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beemill2142 View Post
    That’s a very valid point and is something I’ve been internally struggling with. I just eFiled my Form1 to SBR the lower that the 14.5 is on - it’s pinned. The wait times are so short now that I had to jump on it. I guess I really wanted the 10.5 to make the $200 stamp worth it.
    Yeah, I’ve been there too brother. Another option (if you can only afford to have one upper/barrel...and really want your SBR to be 10.5”) is to send off your Afghan to be cut down. You’d also get the benefit of the reduced port size when you go suppressed.

I’m assuming your plan was to build a whole new upper since you mentioned buying a rail...so the last option is to just do everything you can to save up for the extra barrel to finish the mini-recce build and just be patient

Btw, Selling a pinned 14.5” would probably require you to sell the whole upper since you won’t be able to disassemble anything. In today’s market, you won’t get much for it either. Just a thought.

Feedback Score
    The thing though is the 14.5 Afghan is midlength - so chopping it isn’t an option. :/

I suppose I need to be more practical. My G rail hasn’t shipped - I could always cancel the order and put that money toward a 1-6. Build a true SBR later and already have a Form 1 lower ready to go.

I don’t want to adult.

Feedback Score
    If you decide to go with the mini recce, I can recommend rainiers barrels fully. I have thier 14.5 ultramatch barrel with mid gas. I regularly shoot at 560m with regular 55gr federal and it shoots one ragged hole at 100m.

https://www.rainierarms.com/rainier-...sion-10-3-car/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12