Thread: Ordering online, out of state

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Ordering online, out of state

Hi. Currently working out-of-state. Would I be allowed to purchase a gun online from (fill in your favorite dealer), and then have it shipped to a FFL in the state I am working in, close to my job site, and pick it up?

If so, or not, could you cite some rule or document supporting that fact?

Thanks!

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyrebel87 View Post
    Hi. Currently working out-of-state. Would I be allowed to purchase a gun online from (fill in your favorite dealer), and then have it shipped to a FFL in the state I am working in, close to my job site, and pick it up?

If so, or not, could you cite some rule or document supporting that fact?

Thanks!
    If the firearm is a handgun (or receiver), the answer is no, per the Gun Control Act of 1968.

If the firearm is a long gun it depends on the laws specific to your state of residence and the state you are currently working in. For example, you cannot purchase a gun it would be illegal for you to possess in your state of residence (i.e. buying an AR in Virginia as a New Yorker that you cannot legally possess in New York). Some states also limit out of state sales of long guns to only residents of neighboring states.

If you want a more specific answer I'd say either give an FFL in your current work location a call, or provide us with a little more detail (your state of residence and the state where you would be having the gun sent). It's probably a good idea to touch base with the receiving FFL ahead of time anyways, just to avoid any confusion.

IIRC, if you are active duty military with PCS orders you are generally treated as being a resident of the state where your orders require you to reside.
    Last edited by Tx_Aggie; 11-25-18 at 10:52.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Thanks. Its a long gun, a .22lr. It is legal in both states, and I would be legal to walk into a store here and purchase.

I am trying to figure out if the same thing applies if I buy a .22 from kygunco and have it shipped to a TX FFL near where I work, as a Florida resident. I live and work in free states, so no weird restrictions.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyrebel87 View Post
    Thanks. Its a long gun, a .22lr. It is legal in both states, and I would be legal to walk into a store here and purchase.

I am trying to figure out if the same thing applies if I buy a .22 from kygunco and have it shipped to a TX FFL near where I work, as a Florida resident. I live and work in free states, so no weird restrictions.
    Sounds like you should be good to go.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Thank you. I thought it might apply to only over the counter sales..