Quote Originally Posted by BufordTJustice View Post
Gold Dot rounds of the 64gr variety have been middling performers in my hunting experience. Often requiring an additional anchoring shot even when the heart has been destroyed. I've not had to do that yet with the GMX rounds. Ever. Even on 250lb hogs and bigger.

And I've seen several Hornady GMX laminate auto glass tests where zero petals were shed. And I've also seen the 50gr BH load lose petals. I don't think that invalidates either round.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It certainly doesn't invalidate either based on such small sample sizes, however it's very well documented that all copper bonded bullets sheer peddles in certain situations. Will one encounter one of those situations happen hunting hogs....most likely no since there isn't any glass or sheet metal involved when hog hunting even though WS6 has posted an example of that happening.

I've seen a test where a 70gr. TSX and the Hornady loading 70gr. GMX fired into water @ 100yds...the TSX expanded correctly, whereas the GMX sheered off a couple peddles. When you combine all these anecdotal examples with validated testing by experts it shows all copper bullets aren't as reliable in their wounding mechanism (sheering off pedals) as the other top barrier blind SD loads in similar testing.

Now those tests are for humans, not hogs or game...so perhaps were just crossing wires here. The GMX projectile could very well be a better hunting bullet than those others you listed. I'm just speaking in the context of PD, and the wide array of potential situations one might find themselves in.