Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reloading with bolt locked back - first round doesn't feed completely

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Reloading with bolt locked back - first round doesn't feed completely

Rifle: Complete Geissele URG upper with Geissele BCG. Brand new, second range session.
    Cold large pin lower with Geissele SSA-E, H buffer, standard recoil spring. The lower has at least a few thousand rounds on it.
    Additions: Magpul BAD
    Magazine: old (pre 94 ban) USGI mags.
    This is the second time shooting this rifle. On the first time, rifle had about 300-400 rounds without any issues. Rifle was not cleaned nor lubed before this session.
    Issue:
    With the bolt locked back, insert a fully loaded (30 rounds) magazine. Press bolt release/BAD. The bold will go forward about about 1/4 into the magazine feed lips and start picking up the round. However, it will get stuck at that point. The round is positioned well and the bullet is NOT contacting the barrel extension.
    Slapping the bottom of the magazine would allow the bolt to close and the rifle would function as normal.
    This happened with 3 different magazines.
    Would could be the cause ?
    Photos:

Last edited by andy t; 11-26-18 at 18:34.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    #1: Clean and lube

#2: Steel cases have more friction than brass

#3: Use newer magazines or download by two round (to test)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Did you fire the steel-casede the first time you fired it? In other words, is it only doing it with steel-cased ammo?

Some folks report problems with primarily non-lacquered steel case.

You said pre-ban magazines, what color follower is in them?

I'd clean and lube the thing, try again with steel case, if that doesn't do it try brass cased.

Also might want to try a couple of new GI, or PMags.

ETS: What Andy said.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I used steel case the first time with no issues. However, for the first range session the rifle was cleaned/lubed. I forgot lube at home, so couldn't lube it today. The magazines have Magpul followers (I live in one of those states).

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Reloading with bolt locked back - first round doesn't feed completely

Quote Originally Posted by andy t View Post
    I used steel case the first time with no issues. However, for the first range session the rifle was cleaned/lubed. I forgot lube at home, so couldn't lube it today. The magazines have Magpul followers (I live in one of those states).
    Lube it up a try again. I apply lubrication every time I shoot. If you forget your lube, here’s a tip. Go pull the dipstick from your vehicle and use your finger to apply.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Replace your action spring.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I see you have a B.A.D.... I know folks had issues with those not locking the bolt back. I'm not sure I've heard of anyone having a feeding failure with one. Not too hard to remove and check.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    I guess I'm just silly, but I think cleaning it and lubing it eliminates one possible problem right from the get go.

I agree, they don't need to be cleaned every time you shoot, but that one was dirty enough I'd clean it as part of troubleshooting.

He said it wasn't cleaned OR lubed, so maybe he just needs to lube it good. I guess if it worked for Pat Rogers, it'll work for him.

I would also not expect a action spring to be gone after one session and 400 rounds.
    If I had a rifle with continuing malfunctions dry and dirty, id try to solve the problem dry and dirty. I do keep my weapons lubed, but I at least like to pretend i could rely on them if they werent

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Bonesteel View Post
    If I had a rifle with continuing malfunctions dry and dirty, id try to solve the problem dry and dirty. I do keep my weapons lubed, but I at least like to pretend i could rely on them if they werent
    I get what both you and IG are saying.

I do think that the don't need to clean them mantra is sometimes overdone.

If you have a rifle as dirty as the one pictured lined up for home defense, you are nuts.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Also, replace the BAD with a standard mag release and try it again.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast