View Poll Results: What is the optimal way to set up a light and MAWL?

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • M600DF at 10:30, MAWL, no switch

3 42.86%
  • M600DF at 10:30, MAWL, TAPS Pro programmed for slaved momentary on and MAWL only

1 14.29%
  • M600DF at 3:00, MAWL, TAPS Pro programmed for slaved constant on and MAWL only

1 14.29%
  • M600DF at 10:30, MAWL, TAPS Pro programmed for slaved constant and momentary on

1 14.29%
  • M600DF at 3:00, MAWL, TAPS Pro programmed for slaved constant and momentary on

1 14.29%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Light/Laser Placement and Activation Poll

Feedback Score

Light/Laser Placement and Activation Poll

I’m trying to narrow down how I’d like to set up my HD and Emergency SBR. I’m thinking in terms of both ergonomics, negligent discharge mitigation and reliability. SBR would be a KAC 11.5” MOD 2 with an OSS Helix QD-K, the white light would be an M600DF, and the IR device would be the MAWL. Right handed.

I understand that the current philosophy is that momentary on, especially when using white light, is ideal for avoiding exposure and that the light should only be activated when engaging a target or securing a new position. However, I’m concerned that recoil will inadvertently push the thumb off the activation pad or cause a constant-on activation, and this would only be exacerbated with a tailcap button as opposed to a switch like the TAPS Pro. I also don’t fully see the benefit of using the TAPS Pro with a MAWL since the MAWL already has accessible buttons with different functions, although they could still both be used when not using the TAPS. My thoughts so far are these:

1. The simplest setup would be light at 10:30 with a tailcap switch. No TAPS Pro cables to get unplugged or hung up on something, and less chance of an ND.
    2. Running the TAPS at 12:00 would allow the green laser to be slaved to the M600DF for additional aiming ability in low light situations, and would allow for ambi control of both systems.
    3. Everyone seems to like running their light on the right-hand side, I assume for more visibility down the front of the gun. Don’t know how much of a difference this actually makes. However, if it was under the MAWL at 3:00 that would mean more risk of ground splash, as well as more extreme breaking of cover to prevent wall splash when aiming around a corner.
    4. With one button to control visible light/laser and the other just for the MAWL for when it’s in IR mode, that means that the buttons can only be programmed for momentary or constant on in each setting. Still don’t know what’s ideal.
    5. I suppose that both TAPS buttons could be programmed purely for the visible light and laser spectrum, one for momentary and one for constant. The MAWL integral buttons could still be used during IR modes and TAPS wouldn’t be used.

These are probably silly hair-splitting things to consider, but I just want to set up my rifle as well as I can since it will be a lifeline (hopefully a never-needed one, but nevertheless). Thanks for reading and I’d appreciate any advice.

Feedback Score
    I don't have any time behind a TAPS Pro, so I can't reasonably comment on that. Another option could be an SR07 at 12:00 behind the MAWL to control the white light and use the built-in buttons for the MAWL. I may do that at the beginning when I get a MAWL myself. I'd put the light at 3:00.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hile View Post
    I don't have any time behind a TAPS Pro, so I can't reasonably comment on that. Another option could be an SR07 at 12:00 behind the MAWL to control the white light and use the built-in buttons for the MAWL. I may do that at the beginning when I get a MAWL myself. I'd put the light at 3:00.
    Could you elaborate on the 3:00 placement?

Feedback Score
    You mount the MAWL on the 12:00 rail, so it hangs at about 1:00. Mount the scout light directly under it. Here's an example image from a google image search (not hot-linked on purpose):

http://cdn3<dot>volusion.com/mwhql.trvsw/v/vspfiles/photos/NV.BEM.002-2T.jpg

Feedback Score
    You mount the MAWL on the 12:00 rail, so it hangs at about 1:00. Mount the scout light directly under it. Here's an example image from a google image search (not hot-linked on purpose):

http://cdn3<dot>volusion.com/mwhql.trvsw/v/vspfiles/photos/NV.BEM.002-2T.jpg
    Yeah I understand where it goes, but why would you put it there vs 10:30 on the left so it sits up higher?

Feedback Score
    Oh, I understand your question now.

(1) Because that appears how everyone else does it (including the TNVC guys who first introduced me to the MAWL)
    (2) When a barricade is on my left (which is the preferred side), it lets me jam the rail itself up against the barricade rather than having things sticking out an inch or more.

Intuitively, (2) seems better than the alternative, but that is similar to (1) in that my reasoning is "People who are a lot smarter than me, with a lot more time on the two-way range do it that way."

Feedback Score
    Oh, I understand your question now.

(1) Because that appears how everyone else does it (including the TNVC guys who first introduced me to the MAWL)
    (2) When a barricade is on my left (which is the preferred side), it lets me jam the rail itself up against the barricade rather than having things sticking out an inch or more.

Intuitively, (2) seems better than the alternative, but that is similar to (1) in that my reasoning is "People who are a lot smarter than me, with a lot more time on the two-way range do it that way."
    Wouldn't you like a barrier stop at 9:00 then, instead of using the rail which may not have as much grip? I thought that actually touching a rifle against a barricade is only recommended for competition.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    You can program the taps pro for other functions too, like double tap.

That way you have a constant on option if you want it.

"The heart of TAPS Pro is a user-programmable PCB featuring device isolation and redundant circuitry. Programmability is the key feature that gives the user complete control over how he/she operates weapon-mounted devices. The system can be configured to allow either button to control either lead. Next, the buttons themselves can be programmed to function in a multitude of ways:

•Momentary
    •Constant
    •Press for Momentary, Double Tap for Constant
    •Tap for Constant, Press & Hold (>2 sec) for Momentary
    •Slave Device Mode (both devices fire on one button press)
    •Device Auto Shutdown Option
    •Button Assignment"

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    If you really care about trying to mitigate a ND of white light do the tail cap. This is how my NV guns are all set up. If you want or need ambi access to your laser, use the tape switch only for IR.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    No switch needed as its just a matter of time before they crap out. MAWL mounted on 12:00 rail with your Surefire in that 10:30 area as your leaning toward. I'm running a BCM 11.5 with BCM 10" rail. DD fixed front sight is located so that support hand thumb touches it with my natural grip. MAWL is mounted directly behind that and my M600DF is positioned on the right side so that my thumb has to just slide off the front sight to activate the click switch on the tailcap. ALL switches are activated just by moving my thumb be they white or whatever the MAWL setting is, VIS or IR.

I actually have my M600 mounted in front of my front sight on the 12:00 rail with a RM45 offset mount that sits on top of a small riser to elevate the light. I really dont like the 9:00 rail mounting position or any of the mounts that put it at 10:30 from the 9:00 position. My click switch is in the same area just a little higher. I run an Omega can with a cover so if the light is mounted low the shadow cast by running the light is pretty drastic on the right side of the weapon and doesn't give me the visual info I want.

Honestly I really dont see why anyone would mount their light under the MAWL at 3:00 or even use the TAPS switch even though it is the switch to run if your going to run one. When you need to switch things on and OFF just to much real estate to cover with changing your grip when you want to be pulling the trigger. Here's the deal, when you need white light turn it on and do what you need to do and then turn it off, don't over think it. Too much has been made off turning it on for a second and turning it off and moving like an ninja. If I have work to do the light is ON and when I am done it goes OFF however long that may take. I obviously need the visual data or it wouldn't be on in the first place.

As far as splash goes there are just as many LH corners or barriers in the world as RH to deal with. I think you are headed in the right direction but once you have everything your just going to have to get out there and tweek what works best for you most of the time rather than give into the what if? I believe its better to be effective from the start than compromised at the beginning.

TNVC Night Fighter & TNVC Armed Professional Grad

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast