View Poll Results: What is the optimal way to set up a light and MAWL?

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • M600DF at 10:30, MAWL, no switch

3 42.86%
  • M600DF at 10:30, MAWL, TAPS Pro programmed for slaved momentary on and MAWL only

1 14.29%
  • M600DF at 3:00, MAWL, TAPS Pro programmed for slaved constant on and MAWL only

1 14.29%
  • M600DF at 10:30, MAWL, TAPS Pro programmed for slaved constant and momentary on

1 14.29%
  • M600DF at 3:00, MAWL, TAPS Pro programmed for slaved constant and momentary on

1 14.29%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Light/Laser Placement and Activation Poll

Feedback Score
    Very useful information crossgun, thank you. I like the idea of no cables or extra failure points so I think I'll keep it simple as you suggest. Only sad part is that there won't be much ability to use the visible green laser in conjunction with the light, unless it's just kept on, but I guess aiming is what the NF NX8 will be good for.

Feedback Score
    52 (100%)
    How to set up a rifle:

1) Attach iron sights. If no irons are to be used, attach primary sighting system.
    2) Define your natural point of aim. Zero irons. If no irons, zero primary sight.
    3) If irons were zeroed, attach optic if it will be used. Without adjusting length of pull or natural point of aim, set eye relief appropriately and zero.
    4) Attach light. It should be positioned where it is both intuitive to operate and does not disturb your NPOA.
    5) Attach laser. It should be positioned where it is intuitive, does not cause splashback from sights or light, and does not interfere with your NPOA.

You have now set up your rifle to work with your specific body mechanics.

Too many people copy and paste setups that end up doing nothing but hindering them because it interferes with their natural mechanics.

Good luck to you, OP.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BallisticHarmony View Post
    Very useful information crossgun, thank you. I like the idea of no cables or extra failure points so I think I'll keep it simple as you suggest. Only sad part is that there won't be much ability to use the visible green laser in conjunction with the light, unless it's just kept on, but I guess aiming is what the NF NX8 will be good for.
    Guess I am a little confused about ability to use vis laser with white light? Why not? What am I missing?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by crossgun View Post
    Guess I am a little confused about ability to use vis laser with white light? Why not? What am I missing?
    Well the TAPS would allow the laser to be slaved to the light so they could be fired simultaneously, but if you’re just using a tail cap then you’d need to keep the laser on with the MAWL’s 2 minute constant on and use the flashlight at will. I guess if you’re not using IR, there’s still gonna be some ambient light, so your laser isn’t gonna be tracing a line right back to you for everyone to see.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BallisticHarmony View Post
    Well the TAPS would allow the laser to be slaved to the light so they could be fired simultaneously, but if you’re just using a tail cap then you’d need to keep the laser on with the MAWL’s 2 minute constant on and use the flashlight at will. I guess if you’re not using IR, there’s still gonna be some ambient light, so your laser isn’t gonna be tracing a line right back to you for everyone to see.
    I mostly viewed the laser as "value added" and mainly good for zeroing the IR/confirming zero in daylight.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    I mostly viewed the laser as "value added" and mainly good for zeroing the IR/confirming zero in daylight.
    What about a scenario where you have an immediate need to transition from IR laser and NVG mode optic to white light? Couldn't you peak under your NODS and engage with the vis laser faster than switching your optic back to visible mode?

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mig1nc View Post
    What about a scenario where you have an immediate need to transition from IR laser and NVG mode optic to white light? Couldn't you peak under your NODS and engage with the vis laser faster than switching your optic back to visible mode?
    Have to switch the MAWL to VIS first, too, which kindof makes that a bit of a fantasy argument, IMO, no?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    Have to switch the MAWL to VIS first, too, which kindof makes that a bit of a fantasy argument, IMO, no?
    Maybe. I'm not super familiar with the MAWL.

You can easily do it with a DBAL with the visible override port or Perst-2 with the back button.

So it's a real possibility.

As far as fantasy, I've had to do it in a night match before. Real life? Not me, but John Lovell spoke of a similar situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12