Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Quest for the Ultimate in a Lightweight KISS Carbine

Feedback Score
    Sig Sauer Romeo 3---6 oz. with mount, 9 brightness settings, motion activated

https://palmettostatearmory.com/sig-...-sor31099.html

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Safari View Post
    One option I'm considering is a TA44 ACOG. Being only 1.5 power, though, I'm concerned that enough of the FSB will be visible in the optic that the ACSS ranging capability will be mostly negated. Anybody have any experience with that?
    Way back when I got back into ARs I picked up a Bushmaster with an A1 upper. (Yeah,yeah--but it's done well by me. And supplanted by a 6720.) Along the way I swapped in a pencil barrel, and a G2 in an Elzetta mount; plus basic Magpul hand guards. I needed an optic; and after some research put a TA45-2 on top of the fixed A1 handle. The TA45 is a 1.5X, amber triangle, with a LOT of eye relief; no sight tower problem. It's quite compact, light, and quick to use. Minimal magnification, but enough for a 200 yard carbine. I've had it 12 years, and would buy it again.

Loaded weight is 8 pounds, 9 oz. with 30 rd. mag; 7 pounds 8 oz. empty.
    Last edited by Dienekes; 11-27-18 at 22:35.
    Mala striga deleta est. (The wicked witch is finished.)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Voodoo_Man View Post
    If you want a light rifle it'll cost you.

Bill Rapier's instruction rifle is a 16" carbon fiber proof barrel and a lightweight Midwest rail. I've shot the rifle, it's the lightest 16" I've ever shot. There is no front end to it.

If you want light start with a proof carbon fiber barrel.
    There's nothing remotely light about a Proof Research barrel. BSF barrels are light, though.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Saving weight without compromising strength and function is a challenge. As you've stated, the weight of all those little doodads add up. The weight of optics and WMLs can really tip the scale if you're not paying attention.

This BCM rifle with 16-inch ELW BFH mid-length upper weighs 7-pounds, 6-ounces unloaded with 2.5X optic package (12.2 ounces between scope and mount) and 1000-lumen WML (3.4 ounces total). I'm using an A5 RE with an A5H2 buffer on the lower, but the slight penalty in weight is IMO worth the improvement in function. Overall it's an extraordinarily smooth shooting, accurate and not excessively-heavy carbine.

rifle-1.jpg

scope-1.jpg

wml-1.jpg

target-1.jpg
    EDC Light Builder | No Nonsense Everyday Carry Flashlights

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    One option I'm considering is a TA44 ACOG. Being only 1.5 power, though, I'm concerned that enough of the FSB will be visible in the optic that the ACSS ranging capability will be mostly negated. Anybody have any experience with that?
    Tried it on my 16" middy with FSB and it was a bit distracting. I run Ta33's on all my AR's(all of which have FSB's) and have zero issues. The TA44 Sits on an 11.5" flattop where it is much better suited than on a rifle with a fixed front sight.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Some people just need a project.

I work to keep my weapons light, but not extremely so. It's gotta have what I want and as long as it balances well and isn't a boat anchor, we are good.

No soul searching required. It's an inanimate piece of metal and plastic. Make it do what you want.

Feedback Score
    So yesterday I decided to try out a Streamlight TLR3 weaponlight. It's made for pistols but comes with an adapter for the 1913 rail. It's a lot lighter than the Surefire G2 in the VLTOR mount. I'm concerned it won't be robust enough. It's plastic and doesn't instill much confidence that it's a "combat grade" weapon light. Still, I don't plan to abuse it but shit happens. I once broke another Streamlight weaponlight just by installing it. Really. At 125 lumens it should be more than adequate for in the house.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Built a pin/welded 14.5”, lightweight Hanson profile barrel with 13” Centurion rail, MRO and Magpul pros that comes in at a hair over 6#.
    Comparatively speaking, it’s a joy to carry and shoots 1.5 MOA with 77 gr IMI.

“Ounces is pounds, pounds are pain”.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I chased the light weight thing quite a bit a few years ago but found that after a certain point I ran into some engineering compromises. I owned four of the original kmr rails and had problems with the buis holding a zero even on factory uppers. Same thing with Troy alpha. I also had a 14.5 mid length ELW F barrel build with weight shaved off every component I could find. I found that although it was light as a feather it felt like a pogo stick in live fire. I have also found that the pencil profile barrels definitely have their groups open up faster. In my opinion there is sort of a Goldilocks zone that balances weight and function. A 16 inch barrel profile of around 1 lb 10 oz with a geissele SMR and a micro AimPoint with Magpul pro buis hits the performance requirements I want while still being easy to carry. As always, preferences will vary according to priorities

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    So yesterday I decided to try out a Streamlight TLR3 weaponlight.
    The TLR-3s are compact and lightweight but not particularly durable. I actually put one on an 870 and it held together until I came to my senses and took it off. The bodies will take a limited amount of guff - be it tightening the clamp or receiving a blow - before they fracture, and the new TLR-7 was designed to mitigate that issue.

toc

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast