Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: RANGE REPORT: GEN 1 S&W SHIELD 9mm UPDATE: DEAD TRIGGER

Feedback Score
    Wife took my G1 Shield for her carry gun. Was modified with Apex trigger and Trijicon HDs. I put 500 rounds of HST through it before calling it good, and I can't speak to how much it gets shot now, but it does go to the range and we haven't had a single issue with it. I only lube the frame to slide contact points. Rest of gun is wiped with oiled rag both inside and out, but is nearly dry. I use Mil Comm TW2500 or FP10. It's been two years since I have cleaned or lubed it, wife might have done it herself though.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    How does the sear spring feel? Trigger spring? Positive?
    I would take the whole trigger apart and clean and inspect for something floating around, and see if theres anywhere it can bind.

Was the dead trigger in the forward (reset) or stuck in the rear position?
    Forward. If you stripped the gun..and was holding the frame in your hand & was pulling the trigger....exactly how it felt. No resistance, no reset, nothing. Everything feels as it should, gun has an awesome 5lb even trigger, as measured on my Timney gauge. Three of total have looked at it and cant find a thing wrong with it. Im gonna try some different things, kinda gonna use the gun as an experimental platform so to speak, before I trust it enough to carry.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Straight Shooter View Post
    I will say this, upon cleaning it for the second time, I removed to striker, which I didnt do initially. After blowing it & rest of the gun out with Ballistol, I ran a Q-Tip into the striker channel and whole mess of silver shavings and junk came out. Could that be a factor?
    Wow, sorry to hear about your intermittent issues. My 1st gen Shield has around 1000 rounds since I bought it in 2013ish, never had the problem you described. I think you might have discovered the problem with that super dirty striker tunnel. Hope it is the end of your non firing problems. I would hate for you to lose confidence in a good gun.

Riots are like sports, it's better to watch it on TV at home.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Straight Shooter View Post
    Forward. If you stripped the gun..and was holding the frame in your hand & was pulling the trigger....exactly how it felt. No resistance, no reset, nothing. Everything feels as it should, gun has an awesome 5lb even trigger, as measured on my Timney gauge. Three of total have looked at it and cant find a thing wrong with it. Im gonna try some different things, kinda gonna use the gun as an experimental platform so to speak, before I trust it enough to carry.
    So even when you pulled the dead trigger and let go, it moved back and forth but failed to reset?
    Just want to make sure im following.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    So even when you pulled the dead trigger and let go, it moved back and forth but failed to reset?
    Just want to make sure im following.
    Yes, thats it.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Don’t be offended by this question - did you confirm the sear disengagement lever was in the correct position?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Business_Casual View Post
    Don’t be offended by this question - did you confirm the sear disengagement lever was in the correct position?
    Not at all offended. Short answer..no..but..how would it become dis-engaged during firing? Especially after 200 rounds had already been shot? Is this a "thing" with Shields? Again- a "gunsmith" supposedly looked it over and all they blamed it on was "too much petroleum product" in the gun.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I have no idea, but if you push it down into the disassembly position, does it not make the trigger act precisely as you described?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Business_Casual View Post
    I have no idea, but if you push it down into the disassembly position, does it not make the trigger act precisely as you described?
    Inserting a magazine returns this to the normal position.
    That said, it does exactly what the op experienced. If something broke or got wedged in or around this lever, could be the issue.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Inserting a magazine returns this to the normal position.
    That said, it does exactly what the op experienced. If something broke or got wedged in or around this lever, could be the issue.
    Right..IF something broke...the problem would then be repeatable. Im really thinking the crap I got out of the striker channel had something to do with it.
    Ill def give an update after my next range trip, which might be this weekend. Keep the ideas & thoughts coming, and I appreciate the feedback gents!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast