Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New OSS HX-QD Feedback

Feedback Score

New OSS HX-QD Feedback

I’m currently researching suppressors for a planned 11.5” SBR build and I keep finding myself drawn to this design. I realize the issues with the design and pricing before but they have addressed that.

Does anyone have any experience with the current OSS design? The technology is very intriguing and the reviews online seem to be very positive.

For this build I want to to able to switch between suppressed and unsuppressed and had been rereading the threads on this forum on how to modify a rifle to do so effectively. It seems that this design could relegate most of that unnecessary. Thinking of going with the 7.62 BTW.
    Last edited by OldState; 11-27-18 at 11:50.
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish." - Ty Webb

Feedback Score
    In

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    Providing NFA Trust Services to Texas Citizens

www.AtomicLabRat.com

Feedback Score
    It's loud.
    Lower backpressure
    Heavy
    Expensive
    Not my cup of tea

www.AtomicLabRat.com

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SC-Texas View Post
    It's loud.
    Lower backpressure
    Heavy
    Expensive
    Not my cup of tea

Sorry, just saw this. Do you have first hand experience with the new 2018 models? The new models are lighter and in the same price range as many others...$800-900.

There seems to be a lot of hate on these suppressors on the Internet forums yet the YouTube and online reviews are mostly if not all positive. All seem to be pleased with the sound reduction and the at ear metering seems to be lower than most. I just rewatched the video from the NFA Review Channel and he loved them.

Now, the other day I called Silencer Shop and spoke to a very nice and seeming knowledgeable guy there and he felt they were all snake oil (my words). So I went back on to YouTube to watch the Silencer Shop test video and, while the muzzle readings were on the higher end of many others, their “at ear” metering showed below average numbers under 140db. Many other popular models are way higher at the ear according to SS test videos. This has me puzzled and I’m not sure what to believe.

The Silencer Shop guy was pushing the new Q quick detach Thunder Chicken and Trash Panda really hard....like real hard. The fabrication design and light weight of those is pretty interesting. They also have nice test numbers at the muzzle.

The “at ear” sound reduction and prospect of not needing to tune a sbr to run suppressed and unsuppressed without being over gassed is an attractive selling point for the OSS...but it seems many don’t believe it. The Army seems to be fine with it and picked it as for their CSASS system. I don’t know if there is a more polarizing suppressor on the market.
    Last edited by OldState; 01-07-19 at 01:13.
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish." - Ty Webb

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by OldState View Post
    . . . . The Army seems to be fine with it and picked it as for their CSASS system. I don’t know if there is a more polarizing suppressor on the market.
    The army didn't pick it. Btheybpicked the HK for the csass and HK brought the OSS

It's not like OSS was in a competition with surefire and knights for the best can

www.AtomicLabRat.com

Feedback Score
    Ok. Didn’t understand that. But HK picked it as a part of their system to propose the Army to get adopted, correct? HK must have tested some options I would imagine if a govt contract was on the line. The Army could have said, “we like the gun but drop the suppressor and pick another”. Not that the Army makes the best decisions but some are.

Still perplexed as no one seems to actually have first hand experience with the new design. Maybe many are still in NFA jail.

Feedback Score
    No one has experience with the new OSS cans because the old ones were sold at $500 or below so I bought three of them. The older octogon cans sound good at the ear and work fine. They are heavier than the competition but as a left-handed shooter I wanted low back pressure at the Port. I wouldn't shoot without ear protection but they are quieter at the ear than traditional cans.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by st381183 View Post
    No one has experience with the new OSS cans because the old ones were sold at $500 or below so I bought three of them. The older octogon cans sound good at the ear and work fine. They are heavier than the competition but as a left-handed shooter I wanted low back pressure at the Port. I wouldn't shoot without ear protection but they are quieter at the ear than traditional cans.
    Good to hear your feedback from an actual user ...be it the older design. The technology looks compelling and most of the testing I’ve seen is showing great numbers at the ear. Yet the hate is strong. Lots of people with no hands in experience bashing and questioning the testing...but not question the testing of any other design by the same people.

I was 99% sold until the conversation with Silencer Shop. But even then their recommendations were exactly one brand, Q. I asked for a second recommendation after Q and the response was basically nothing else...possibly maybe Griffin Armament. A bit odd.

Feedback Score
    Botach and Copper Custom were/are selling the closeout models fornsub $500. I know Botach has the 5.56 can that was a two piece design the BRM and SRM modules for $349.99 Now that is a long suppressor but the BRM goes over the barrel. I purchased from both Botach and Copper Custom and the cans dropped shipped from OSS FWIW.

Feedback Score
    Anyone have one of these new models yet?

I’ve been holding off on a 11.5” build intended for 50/50 suppressed shooting because I don’t know if I want or need an adjustable GB. All my research keeps leading me back to this but the reviews are so polarizing. It’s either the greatest suppressor technology thus far or snake oil. People that have them seem to like them....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast