Thread: TDS Bantam Suppressor

Feedback Score

TDS Bantam Suppressor

For about five years I have purchased and set up issued rifles for my police department. They are mostly 11.5" barrels with a suppressor and we have added to the program each year. We have about 43 rifles,including 32 Sionics, but also 3 Sig MCX, 4 DD MK18s, 2 Gemtech integras, and a Suppressed Weapon Systems integral suppressed upper. For suppressors we have 15 Surefire FA556ARs, 12 Gemtech 556LEs,and 6 Sig SRD556Ti's. We leave the cans on full time and all except the Surefires are direct thread.

I recently read in Recoil magazine about the 3D printed inconel Bantam suppressor made by thermal design solutions. The price was reasonable and I ordered one. It is incredibly compact at 3.8" long and 1.2" in diameter with a weight of only 6 oz. The size and weight caught my eye but I was also really interested in its advertised forward gas release capabilities. My priorities in a suppressor are Weight, Size, Gas management, and lastly noise level. We suppress our rifles because we know that our officers would fire them on duty without eye or ear protection and we don't want significant and permanent hearing loss to occur. We aren't going for stealth. On the range of course we use eye and ear pro.

The Bantam arrived and I like its design and compact size. It is smaller and lighter than any of our other suppressors. I was really impressed by the gas management. It really works as advertised. No gas face at all and the fired brass and ammo still in the mag were much cleaner than normal. We recess our cans slightly under a 12" Seekins MCSRV2 rail and the extra space due to the smaller diameter kept the rail much cooler. I really like this can and consider it our best option right now for future needs.

We tried to use a sound meter after a long range day to test and compare 5 of our suppressors. I know something must have been off with the calibration because the numbers are way too low. We also had a but of trouble using the meter. However the #'s are useful for comparison provided you take them with a grain of salt. The Bantam was the loudest and the SWS Integral was quietest. Pretty much saw that the heavier cans suppressed better which isn't a surprise. Here's what we got in our admittedly flawed and unscientific test:
    Bantam 106.9
    SWS INTEGRAL 93.9
    Gemtech 103.1
    Sig SRD556Ti 100.6
    Surefire. 97.3

Keep in mind integrally suppressed uppers are a bit heavy, and the Surefires weigh 17 oz plus a large muzzle brake.

Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    There are only a handful of sound meters that are fast enough to accurately measure gunshots properly.

The TDS suppressor seems interesting though.

Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    i've read everything i can find about the bantam (not all that much) and was thrilled to read your post.

excellent info. thanks for sharing mmbeller191. it will likely be my next can to take the edge off the blast (not to be hearing safe, which i don't believe a sonic 223 can be).

Feedback Score

Better link

Try this link for video of the test. Let me know if not working. I think Clint is right about the meter not being up to the task. It seems like the iPhone mic makes the shot seem quieter as well. The can isn't as quiet as it seems on the vid.

https://drive.google.com/drive/mobil...8C&ts=5d5b5707
    Last edited by mmbeller191; 08-20-19 at 04:43.

Feedback Score
    The meter used in the video is incapable of measuring gunshots so the data it outputs is 100% useless and cannot be used for anything, certainly not for comparing silencers. There are only two handheld meters capable of accurately measuring gunshots, the BK 2209 and the Larsen Davis 800B, and those are analog systems. It's really easy to tell when it's a meter that doesn't meet the spec because there isn't any handheld digital meter that can do it. The digital systems that can do it are whole set ups running off of a laptop. Those would be the BK Pulse and National Instruments.

So to put it plainly, if the sound meter being used for measuring gunshots isn't one of the following systems, it's a waste of time and money:

1) BK Pulse
    2) National Instruments
    3) BK 2209
    4) Larson Davis 800B

There's a new system being developed called PewSoft, but it's not out yet. It'll be able to do simultaneous sampling from three microphones at 1 million times per second, which is around five times faster than any currently available system so the peak impulse of the gunshot won't be missed.
    Last edited by paco ramirez; 09-05-19 at 15:37.
    Previously did all design work at CGS Group, 2014-2024.

Feedback Score
    One thing to consider about this can is that the forward gas release includes a bright flash. We had a night rifle range and the Bantam was throwing a 3 foot flash downrange with each round. Much bigger and brighter flash than the other cans on the line, all with 11.5" barrels. Cops don't typically care too much about stealth, but this might be important to others.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    thnx mmbeller191, very useful info to add to the equation.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    TDS makes a few different suppressors and I don't think the Bantam is the best choice for an 11.5" barrel. I am waiting on one for a 18" precision rifle. The Bantam is a K can and everyone seems to be comparing it to full size cans. I don't think considering the size and weight you will find anything comparable.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mmbeller191 View Post
    One thing to consider about this can is that the forward gas release includes a bright flash. We had a night rifle range and the Bantam was throwing a 3 foot flash downrange with each round. Much bigger and brighter flash than the other cans on the line, all with 11.5" barrels. Cops don't typically care too much about stealth, but this might be important to others.
    Interesting info. Thanks for posting it.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v