Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How many rounds before form 1 for a lower?

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)

How many rounds before form 1 for a lower?

I have a couple of Colt lowers that I want to sbr here in the near future.
    It seems reasonable to vet them prior to filing the form 1.
    Using a known reliable upper, how many rounds/mags would be sufficient to provide reasonable assurance that they will be a good investment?
    Thanks in advance

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    "It is better to be a Warrior in a Garden than a Gardner in a War"
    Let's use the First Amendment to protect the Second so we can avoid using the Second to protect the First.

Feedback Score
    A few magazines to make sure they are in spec

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    Providing NFA Trust Services to Texas Citizens

www.AtomicLabRat.com

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    For me, zero.

I’d be concerned about being in spec dimensionally. Is it an assembled lower? If so, the parts all likely fit. Like trigger and takedown pins.

Most important to me would be how does the lower fit to uppers? Do the take down pins slide through an upper clean and easily? Does the upper rattle around on the lower?

You could shoot it, but my expirience is if a AR does not cycle well it’s all in the upper.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    It's not a bad idea to build a Title 1 (or whatever they call it) gun so you know the ergo and function. Just as an example... I've had those lowers where the trigger guard hole it too high, and the tangs eat your hand alive.

As long as you're not registering some Olympic Arms piece of crap, or some piss ant shop lower, you're probably safe.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Buckaroo, your logic is sound. I had an Arsenal SLR-106CR that I Form 1'd about ten years ago. While I was waiting on the stamp, I shot it. Unfortunately, it wouldn't run reliably and Arsenal couldn't get it to work. They eventually refunded my money. I had to cancel the stamp, which I could do because I never actually chopped the barrel. Eventually, I received a $200 refund. All that said, a Colt lower is pretty much guaranteed as being good to go. Shoot a few rounds, but don't sweat it.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Whoa, 2 senior members saying not to worry about it... even after a horror story???

I would shoot it at least a few mags. Read the SBR sticky. Every manufacturer makes turds, I cannot think of a single reason not to function test a lower first.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    In reality you don't need to shoot it. What you need to do is ensure that the lower is in spec (things like hammer/trigger pin holes, magazines locking in and dropping, etc... Additionally I would mount an upper on it, to make sure there are no fitment issues.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    I had one of my Texas gun trust clients form one and they are lower from Anderson. After the form was approved he assembled it and the holes were not where they were supposed to be. Would not run

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    Providing NFA Trust Services to Texas Citizens

www.AtomicLabRat.com

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)

How many rounds before form 1 for a lower?

IG speaks the truth. To make me feel warm and fuzzy however, I had a couple of hundred rounds on mine when I filed. Probably wasn’t necessary because everything looked good and function was good.
    Last edited by Vegas; 11-30-18 at 13:42.

Feedback Score
    I didn't shoot either of mine before submitting, although they were shot before they were approved. What I did do is buy lowers with an excellent reputation for quality. Both of mine are Mega lowers and, at the time, I couldn't find one bad word about them. I think now, a few years later, I've seen only one complaint about Mega.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast