Thread: How do you sharpen a Karambit style blade?

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

How do you sharpen a Karambit style blade?

I bought this cheap Karambit style neck knife and just realized I don't know how to sharpen it.

It's a mild curve compared to many but still......

I'm edge sharpening challenged by default but this is a new twist all together.

Should I look for some sort of rod shaped stone? Or maybe one of those stones that has a round edge and the other edge tapers to a knife edge?

It's not flat out dull out of the box but it's not what you call sharp either.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    A Spyderco Sharpmaker might be a good choice for this.

Feedback Score
    Second vote for the Sharpmaker...

One of the easiest sharpeners for a novice to get to hair-popping on almost any blade.
    Death is lighter than a feather, Duty is heavier than a mountain. -Robert Jordan (adapted from the Japanese Imperial Rescript; WWII)

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    This thing looks pretty cool and it's only $25. I was wanting something really simple too. Can't tell if this vid is for real or not. It looks real.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wDM5G2p5Pg

I have a Lansky kit that I haven't used in a long time. I just assumed the stones would be too wide but maybe not. I looked at the Spyderco and the flat side of those looks to be about the same as a Lansky stone.

I watched another video of a guy that took a piece of cardboard packing box. Cut a square. then wrapped that over a tube like say and oatmeal can. Then he just used abrasive grit rubbed on te cardboard and dragged the blade away from the edge. Moving up in grits. He said it worked really well. He didn't show the grits as to exactly what he was using but I guess that's not too hard to find.

If that little Sharp N Spark works though, that's really all I need. I just can't tell if it's gimmick or not. Never head of them or at least don't remember ever seeing one. I like the price though.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tb-av View Post
    This thing looks pretty cool and it's only $25. I was wanting something really simple too. Can't tell if this vid is for real or not. It looks real.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wDM5G2p5Pg

I have a Lansky kit that I haven't used in a long time. I just assumed the stones would be too wide but maybe not. I looked at the Spyderco and the flat side of those looks to be about the same as a Lansky stone.

I watched another video of a guy that took a piece of cardboard packing box. Cut a square. then wrapped that over a tube like say and oatmeal can. Then he just used abrasive grit rubbed on te cardboard and dragged the blade away from the edge. Moving up in grits. He said it worked really well. He didn't show the grits as to exactly what he was using but I guess that's not too hard to find.

If that little Sharp N Spark works though, that's really all I need. I just can't tell if it's gimmick or not. Never head of them or at least don't remember ever seeing one. I like the price though.
    The Sharpmaker allows you to rotate the stones in the holder so you use the edges of the triangles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6sC-Q_OZ8s
    Last edited by Adrenaline_6; 11-28-18 at 15:03.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    OK, I see what you are saying , just stay on the triangle edge of the stones. The vids I watched they started on the triangle and then moved to flats.

I actually have a triangle in my Lansky but I think it's a super fine grit and was made for fish hooks or something. I never used it. I'll have to see if that will take this edge up a notch.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Another vote for the Sharpmaker....very easy to use.

Edges of their stones remove more metal while flats remove less.

Lansky makes a couple of pocket sharpeners that are similar in shape and size (except length) to the Sharpmaker triangles.

https://lansky.com/index.php/pocket-sharpeners/
    Last edited by jsbhike; 11-28-18 at 21:43.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Any stone with a round edge, or "stick" style sharpener.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I've found out that Lansky has set of 4 stones for curved blades. Since I already have the Lansky setup I ordered a set. Most people were asking $10+ per stone but I found a set of Course / Med / Fine / Ultra Fine for $25. Has not arrived yet.