Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on A2 grip angle vs steeper angles

Feedback Score

Thoughts on A2 grip angle vs steeper angles

Most of my shooting has been with an MOE+, which has the same grip angle as the A2. Personally, whether I had the stock partially collapsed while standing, or completely retracted when on the bench, my wrist always felt bent and it never gave the impression of being a particularly useful or ergonomic grip angle. I think something like the K2+ would be better for almost all scenarios. What would the downside be of having a steeper angle? I can think of none.

I notice that most precision AR shooters use MIAD grips a lot, but again I never felt like the A2 angle was enough to keep my wrist straight even with an A2 stock length.

Why haven’t steeper grip angles become the standard, and what is so great about the traditional one?

Feedback Score
    I can't stand the steeper grip angles, but that's just me.

They remind me of AK pistol grips... Terribly uncomfortable.
    Last edited by 556Cliff; 12-10-18 at 22:20.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I prefer the B5 Type 23 and similar grips. A wrist injury left me bone on bone in the joint the A2 angle is uncomfortable.

I find that I can tolerate the A5 angles when shooting prone or off a bench.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    Does steeper angle always equate to more ergonomic? I've never put much thought into the grip angle, except when I'm NOT using an A2 style grip. One of my pistol builds has the Magpul K2+ grip and it takes some adjustment, even though the overall hold is much more compact, making the K2+ more logical in the first place.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I never gave AR grip angle much thought until I had an elbow injury. I used A1, A2 and MOE grips on everything up until then. I can shoot all day with a BCM Mod 3 or Magpul K2 grip but my elbow will start barking at me after about an hour give or take with an A2 grip angle. I leave one on my Heat inspired Colt Commando though.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Earlier this year we were able to stop at the Rock Island Arsenal Museum, and while I was staring up at the FG42 variants up on the wall, a local gent a few years older than myself struck up a conversation about FG42s in general. We concluded that the Germans were quick to pick up on two things from the FG42: one was that a stamped steel stock on a combat rifle left a lot to be desired, and the other was that feedback on the severely raked pistol grip must have been pretty emphatic.

Personally, I have moved away from the A2 angle as my joints give me more problems. I used to shoot about anything and be reasonably comfortable, but old devil time has put an end to that.

toc

Feedback Score
    Steeper vs stock grip angle is a personal preference. It is not for everybody.

The idea behind the steeper angle (steeper, as in more vertical) AR grips is for those individuals who use the AR in a predominantly CQB/home defense/tactical environment. If you shoot your carbine using a 'squared to the target' stance, the steeper angled grip is more ergonomic/comfortable for your wrist. To illustrate this, square-up on a target and hold the weapon at low ready. Raise the weapon and get a good sight picture. Notice the angle that your grip hand and wrist are at; now, hold that stance and you'll start noticing some definite fatigue at the wrist. The steeper angled grips significantly reduce this discomfort. I switched to a MOE K2 grip (a pretty steep angled grip) and I noticed a definite difference at the next carbine class I attended. Doing drills from the low-ready position all day long will have you appreciate the steeper angled grip immensely.

For more accuracy/precision type of AR shooting (prone, standing [traditional bladed to the target], or seated a bench), the stock grip angle will probably be better.

Again, it is an individual preference.
    Last edited by mo4040; 12-12-18 at 06:34.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mo4040 View Post

The idea behind the steeper angle (steeper, as in more vertical) AR grips is for those individuals who use the AR in a predominantly CQB/home defense/tactical environment. If you shoot your carbine using a 'squared to the target' stance, the steeper angled grip is more ergonomic/comfortable for your wrist. To illustrate this, square-up on a target and hold the weapon at low ready. Raise the weapon and get a good sight picture. Notice the angle that your grip hand and wrist are at; now, hold that stance and you'll start noticing some definite fatigue at the wrist. The steeper angled grips significantly reduce this discomfort. I switched to a MOE K2 grip (a pretty steep angled grip) and I noticed a definite difference at the next carbine class I attended. Doing drills from the low-ready position all day long will have you appreciate the steeper angled grip immensely.

For more accuracy/precision type of AR shooting (prone, standing [traditional bladed to the target], or seated a bench), the stock grip angle will probably be better.

I thought more vertical grips were better for precision since in manes a straight trigger pull more natural.

A lot of PRS shooters are using straight vertical grips now.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mo4040 View Post

Excellent summary.

One other issue is that the conventional grip angle makes it easier to have your whole right hand supporting weight of that end of the rifle, while the near-vertical grips put that weight mostly on the first finger and thumb.

For precision use prone or off a bench I think it's right back to personal preference. Near-vertical for a straight pull is good, but more raked can work fine too.

Feedback Score
    I never thought much about grip angle until I started taking carbine classes. Repeated presentations with an A2 fatigues your wrist and forearm much faster than with a more vertical angle like the BCM grip.

It enables you to keep your wrist more vertical which is more natural and comfortable for most people.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast