Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Pros and Cons of Painting your AR

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score

The Pros and Cons of Painting your AR

So we don't muck up the pic thread I thought I'd start a thread to debate the merits of painting your AR in a camo or other scheme.

I don't paint mine. I've been tempted. But I have a checkered history of trading off what I own for something else and I think rattle-canning your AR is a good way to 100% devalue it unless you have it professionally done.

Having said that, I do own a Colt LE6920 that has a complete Vietnam tiger stripe camo job from the factory. I consider that a keeper and would be my contribution to the "just have to have a camo AR" club.

So, what do you think?

To paint or not to paint?

Feedback Score
    I think if it’s what you’re into then blast it. If not then don’t. Easy as that. With how synonymous firearms are with freedom you’d think gun dudes wouldn’t care about someone’s freedom of choice to blast their expensive rifle with a $4 can of krylon.

Plus it looks dope.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I've been tempted but I don't paint mine. Between resale of parts, getting bored of camo patterns, and the fact no matter how hard I try to like various color combinations, anything other than a mainly black AR still just feels "wrong" to me. I've seen some really nice painted rifles I wouldn't mind owning, but I just can't bring myself to do it.
    Our Liberties we prize and our Rights we will defend.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    My primary AR is painted for protection from the elements, and to blend in. I do hunt with it. Makes it not stand out so much too, when I've got it with me outside, on the property.

Simple Krylon, no fancy pattern. It can all be easily removed with brake cleaner if neef be.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    List of disadvantages to painting:

1)

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Krylon is way easier to get off then rustoleum. Gives you freedom to be creative.

Feedback Score
    For me it depends on the weapon. Ones that might only see a square range once in a while, my daughter's AR, or my old pre-ban Colt, these are all still black. All the ones I use and abuse are painted.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Pappabear has a few painted guns. I have one, and had one before that. Never had any regrets for doing it. Tan camo guns are way better in the hot ass desert.

I probably ought to rattle another gun or two.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I once painted a "raw" aluminum 1911 flat trigger black.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Pappabear has a few painted guns. I have one, and had one before that. Never had any regrets for doing it. Tan camo guns are way better in the hot ass desert.

I probably ought to rattle another gun or two.
    Agreed! The difference between an all black AR of some sort and one painted a tan-ish color is significant when you are out in the sun.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast