Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516

Thread: The Pros and Cons of Painting your AR

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by boltcatch View Post
    - Some insect repellents make paint gummy (already mentioned), as do certain oils and cleaning solvents
    DEET is a plasticizer so there are plenty of things common around firearms that it is hard on. In my experience Picaridin works as well without worrying about it dissolving stuff and isn't oily feeling like DEET.
    Last edited by jsbhike; 12-01-18 at 19:55.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertTheTexan View Post
    2) a wannabe that runs around the woods playing militia. (We called it “playing Army”)
    We just went ahead and called it “playing guns.” Preteens can get creative about rules for this sort of thing, too.
    “God doesn’t need your good works, but your neighbor does.” - Luther

Quote Originally Posted by 1168
    7.5” is the Ed Hardy of barrel lengths.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I've painted several over the years, works well for making a black rifle blend in to ones environment! It's cheap, fun, and using your natural foliage makes the rifle fit in great. If you hate it grab a can of brake cleaner and go to town! They're just tools anyways right?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fordtough25 View Post
    I've painted several over the years, works well for making a black rifle blend in to ones environment! It's cheap, fun, and using your natural foliage makes the rifle fit in great. If you hate it grab a can of brake cleaner and go to town! They're just tools anyways right?
    Yep, it's just a tool for a job, agree.

This thread is like the gun guy version "Oh my god Becky, did you see the color of her dress? That is soooo not business casual."

Feedback Score
    At this point i say blast it ...its salad days for ar-15's (and i hope it stays that way) so resell value isn't a real concern for me anyway.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Circle_10 View Post
    Yep, that's what's happening on both of my painted guns.
    The paint job on Gun 01 here could be described as slightly LARPish I guess, since the rattle camo color scheme is a bit unnecessary, but I wanted to give painting an AR a try.

Gun 06, which was more of less a "spare parts" build, was more recently painted. I did the upper and lower receivers back in July, and I finally found paint that matches the color of that Brownells Type D stock almost exactly so I did the handguard/VFG up in brown. While I'm kinda neutral on the camo job on Gun 01, I actually like the grey/brown scheme of this gun. And I don't find it to be LARPish.

It might look like a bit of a goofy configuration overall but I've found it to actually be a pretty good gun.
    I think spare-parts-bin builds make for some of the coolest projects. Just something about repurposing unused parts and saving money that gets me to a happy place.

I like how the brown furniture turned out, before I read your comment the Brownells retro AR-10 came to mind.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Moose-Knuckle View Post
    I think spare-parts-bin builds make for some of the coolest projects. Just something about repurposing unused parts and saving money that gets me to a happy place.

I like how the brown furniture turned out, before I read your comment the Brownells retro AR-10 came to mind.
    The passing resemblance to the old AR-10 started as a coincidence and then later became intentional when I finally decided to paint the handguard/VFG. I almost went with a leather G3 sling for it for some extra Retro flavor but that seemed a little stupid when I already have a pretty good sling on there

Feedback Score
    I always tape off all markings/ engravings, keeps the paint out of engraved letters and you won’t paint over anything lasered. Very reversible, but have never stripped paint on anything.

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516