Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: The Pros and Cons of Painting your AR

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Inkslinger View Post
    Don’t get me started on them. I’m deep behind enemy lines with those folks.
    Oh, snap.

Do yours tow those pickup bed trailers with a camper shell on them stuffed with other Amish folks? You know something, in addition to operating as a motor vehicle without tags and insurance, that is totally illegal.

Anyone else would get stopped and ticketed, heck I've seen them hauling kids on the decks of pontoon boats under tow. Wonder how far I'd get if I loaded up the grand kids in the boat and started towing it to the lake?

Not too far, I'll betcha.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Five_Point_Five_Six View Post
    I'm not just saying this because of this thread, but if that were mine, I wouldn't be calling anyone a wanna be militia bubba. That's one of the ugliest paint jobs I've seen, professionally done or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by turnburglar View Post
    In a thick AZ accent: "CHIT YEA FRIEND!"

I think having a pro done camo job makes you look like a queen with a designer bag. The rest of us gotta go to home depot to whore it out.

I have done atleast a dozen rifles with krylon, and if you do it lightly over a few coats they will last over time. The mistake people make is applying too much at once, and while it may dry and look even, if you dont space out the drying process the paint just doesnt stick when abused. Sweat is really bad for the paint, but I really DGAF about keeping apaint job pristine. My main fraken gun has probably had 5 paintjobs on it, because I have always tried to acomplish the perfect "multicam from a rattle can". My most recent attempt turned out pretty good and now I cant wait to strip it down and go in a completly differnt direction. I like the net look and am gonna take it to a level its never been before. 11.
    I have seen a pro multicam job. That one was cool.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)

The Pros and Cons of Painting your AR

Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    Robert -

I wouldn't go chunkin' dirt clobs about:

If my account was rocking that Farmboy looking Boudoir Avatar.

Not trying to be hurtful, just saying....Bless your heart.

I’M TOTALLY CONFOUNDED NOW! What in the name of Sam Houston do you expect? I am a Texan. How else ought we to dress when we’re out in the back 40 running and gunning? With our rattle can painted AR’s

And what the hell is a boudoir? That thing that washes your butt?

We don’t much cotton to them fancy thangs here in the Great Republic. Especially anything that squirts anything on the backdoor of the barn. It ain’t right and it ain’t biblical. I think you need to repent my brother! Repent!!!! Repent!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    My question what defines Professional? What I'm inferring from Doc. Safari posts is that the Paint job must have crisp, clean, lines, with defined Camo Patterns which are easily distinguishable by the human brain through the as seen through the eye.

"Patterns" is an oxymoron to me when discussing camo, I'm guessing that's why you don't like rattle can paint jobs, because depending on how It is viewed the Rifle Itself does not present a Defined Artistically Pattern by and of Itself, even though it disappears into the surroundings. Which is the Point, it's not there..

Your sample, of Tiger Stripe Looks like a Rifle with Tiger Stripe Camo Pattern toss it in the grass, it looks like a Rifle with A Professionally done Tiger Stripe Camo Pattern laying in the grass, as in, There It is..

Many people cannot deal with randomness which is what, I'm inferring from your posts.

Example..When I worked with a Pot-eradication contract on National Lands many grows were found because the growers laid the plants in straight lines, Nature doesn't grow stuff like that, She's random

Example.. In construction some Clients want their rustic wood floors to have a random nailing pattern, Many flooring guys can't do it because their minds need a pattern.
    Even if I toss the nails in the air and tell them to nail them where they land, they invariably nail them in straight lines, because they can't deal with randomness.

Fyi I prefer French Lizard Camo, no black less defined ....More random

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Five_Point_Five_Six View Post
    I'm not just saying this because of this thread, but if that were mine, I wouldn't be calling anyone a wanna be militia bubba. That's one of the ugliest paint jobs I've seen, professionally done or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Travelingchild View Post
    My question what defines Professional? What I'm inferring from Doc. Safari posts is that the Paint job must have crisp, clean, lines, with defined Camo Patterns which are easily distinguishable by the human brain through the as seen through the eye.

"Patterns" is an oxymoron to me when discussing camo, I'm guessing that's why you don't like rattle can paint jobs, because depending on how It is viewed the Rifle Itself does not present a Defined Artistically Pattern by and of Itself, even though it disappears into the surroundings. Which is the Point, it's not there..

Your sample, of Tiger Stripe Looks like a Rifle with Tiger Stripe Camo Pattern toss it in the grass, it looks like a Rifle with A Professionally done Tiger Stripe Camo Pattern laying in the grass, as in, There It is..

Many people cannot deal with randomness which is what, I'm inferring from your posts.

Example..When I worked with a Pot-eradication contract on National Lands many grows were found because the growers laid the plants in straight lines, Nature doesn't grow stuff like that, She's random

Example.. In construction some Clients want their rustic wood floors to have a random nailing pattern, Many flooring guys can't do it because their minds need a pattern.
    Even if I toss the nails in the air and tell them to nail them where they land, they invariably nail them in straight lines, because they can't deal with randomness.

Fyi I prefer French Lizard Camo, no black less defined ....More random
    All I'm saying is you can tell when someone has repainted his own car and when he has had it properly done.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Hi. My name is Robert and I’m an amateur rattle can AR painter.

I’ve painted 5 AR’s and it’s been 257 days since I painted my last AR.

(No disrespect to the program intended. BTDT)
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    You didn’t paint the BCG

Mill Operator
    Knight's Armament Company

Feedback Score
    I just want to say I'm amazed at the interest this thread has generated. Thanks to everyone for your participation.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Ok, this thread is useless without pics :-)
    Just because someone charges for a paint job doesn't make them a 'professional'. I've seen some really ugly/shoddy 'professional' rifle camo jobs, as well as some works of art.

I painted one of my ARs years ago (it's my Colt SP1) because I was writing articles on camo and a black rifle just stood out too much. I used Aervoe with my own blob pattern template made out of cardboard. It's the equivalent of a 'trunk gun' that I love to shoot, but don't worry about it getting dinged up.

I also painted my Rem 700 in the same colours because I was shooting a lot in the desert, and I liked the look of it. It also came in handy when I wrote an article about a ghillie hood.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpine2k3 View Post
    You didn’t paint the BCG

Nope! I didn’t paint the BCG. ::
    But that did start off a pretty fugly AR. Except for the lower which was an 80, (the very first 80% I milled with my own two hands.) I had it cerakoted because it was naked at that point. Every other part on that AR was bought used on the E&E or use parts from a buddy.)

I called it my Used Car AR (UCAR). Ran like a scalded dog though. Flawlessly. And no issues with the lower!

~ Sam Houston

~ Sam Adams

Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast