Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast

Thread: The Pros and Cons of Painting your AR

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    If you have an old school AICS stock, I automatically hate you.

For years "oh I'll get one later" and now, you can't without a markup. The new ones are "better" but I just wanted the classic for a .300 win mag remington 700.

Still, that Arid scheme really does blend in and looks nice.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Safari View Post
    LOL. I was watching a YouTube video last night where the guys from Nutnfancy were shooting a worn cop M4 that they loved cuz it looked all "Boba Fett" 'n shit. Guess it must be a cultural thing, like deliberately finishing your weapon to look like a battlefield pickup. I just don't see it. My guns have honest wear (some horrendous), but I've never artificially aged or rattled canned any gun. I agree that battle worn SOF rifles look badass, but they have legitimate tactical reasons for such. For some civilian living in an apartment in the middle of town to try to make his gun look like an SOF battlefield relic just seems like wannabe behavior.

But hey, people are correct: It's your rifle. Paint it if you want to.

I don't object, by the way, to professionally rendered camo paint or other finish jobs. If I did I'd have to sell my Colt M4 with factory Vietnam tiger stripe camo. It's waaaaay cool. I'm just saying that taking your AR out in the backyard with a couple cans of Krylon is just bubbafied amateurish nonsense. Sorta like pasting fake bullet holes on your vehicle. It's like when you built models as a kid and instead of using the factory professionally rendered decals you tried to freehand paint the insignia on your airplane or whatever. Just looks like someone with too much free time and probably not much artistic skill.

Quote Originally Posted by Circle_10 View Post
    While I don't object to the idea of painting one's guns, I do agree that artificially aging or wearing your paint job to look "battle worn" is quite lame.

Yeah I never suggested anyone purposely giving their blasters a "worn look" like the acid / stoned washed jeans of yester year. That is all kinds of gay. I was talking about dudes using rattle cans to paint their rifles and the paint wears off over time due to actual use of the gun.

There are plenty of LARP'ers and posers on gun forums, try looking through the various tactical gear pic threads. We have more than a few on here.

I also think anything "artistic" on a firearm which I view as a tool is gayer than Richard Simmons with a Shakeweight but to each their own. YMMV.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Lightbulb

I'm almost (I said "almost" ) of the opinion that a fake worn or battlefield pickup look is borderline stolen valor.

So I'm really suspicious any time I see a lot of patina or wear on a civilian M4.

Come on...it's all in good fun. Really too many are taking it waaaaaay too seriously.
    A rattle can paint job that has worn off on the contact points of a civilian AR is now being compared to stolen valor . . .

Doc, it would appear it is you sir who are taking all this waaaaaay too seriously.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Moose-Knuckle View Post
    I also think anything "artistic" on a firearm which I view as a tool is gayer than Richard Simmons with a Shakeweight but to each their own. YMMV.
    While I've never painted an AR, the times I have painted equipment I've always included my initials somewhere in the paint job. Does that make it "artistic"? If so I need to start charging more for my "services". ;-)

Closest I ever got so far to having an AR "camo" was mixing factory cerakote'd components of different colors. Foliage Green in small amounts blends well with FDE and UDE. Toss on a wooden stock that's well oiled and even anti "assault weapon" types will strike up a friendly conversation. Ended up the best "camo" for my area.
    Our Liberties we prize and our Rights we will defend.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Yeah I never suggested anyone purposely giving their blasters a "worn look" like the acid / stoned washed jeans of yester year. That is all kinds of gay. I was talking about dudes using rattle cans to paint their rifles and the paint wears off over time due to actual use of the gun.

Yep, that's what's happening on both of my painted guns.
    The paint job on Gun 01 here could be described as slightly LARPish I guess, since the rattle camo color scheme is a bit unnecessary, but I wanted to give painting an AR a try.

Gun 06, which was more of less a "spare parts" build, was more recently painted. I did the upper and lower receivers back in July, and I finally found paint that matches the color of that Brownells Type D stock almost exactly so I did the handguard/VFG up in brown. While I'm kinda neutral on the camo job on Gun 01, I actually like the grey/brown scheme of this gun. And I don't find it to be LARPish.

It might look like a bit of a goofy configuration overall but I've found it to actually be a pretty good gun.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    I can’t believe I’m actually going to join this...

But, I tend to agree that most painted AR’s look poser-ish.
    At the same time, I like the idea of non-black rifles for the reason suggested shortly above: it isn’t “scary” to non- gun folk. And that can help our cause.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    So what is the view on things like Gunskins? Seems like a decent in between step if you don’t want to rattle can and don’t want to spring for a full on professional paint job. I got no dog in this fight but I have debated picking up some some Krylon on more than one occasion.
    Last edited by Run N Shoot; 12-01-18 at 09:09. Reason: Spelling

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    A rattle can paint job that has worn off on the contact points of a civilian AR is now being compared to stolen valor . . .

Doc, it would appear it is you sir who are taking all this waaaaaay too seriously.
    Yeah, I like how his 'argument' has morphed over time.

Backpedal backpedal, shift, shift.

Feedback Score
    LOL I'm just having fun with this. I may come up with more crazy shit here in a bit.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I shall now coin a new term: "rattlecam"!

Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast