Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 308.. 20 inch vs 24 inch

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

308.. 20 inch vs 24 inch

It looks like I'll be buying my AI AT by the end of the year. I'm sticking with 308 for now and will be buying another barrel (likely a 26 inch 6.5 CM) in the future. This rifle is strictly for target shooting and maybe non serious PRS type competition. Currently have access to 1360 yard range. Currently dont have a 308 suppressor and one is not in the near future plans.

Should I go with the 20 inch or 24 inch 308 barrel? Am I going to see enough of an improvement in downrange performance with the longer barrel to justify the extra length? I plan on going for the 1360 gong.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    It looks like about a 70fps gain, which is going to help. The usual downside to long barrels is either weight or flexibility. For a bench rest gun there is no reason not to have a stiff, heavy barrel, so the extra length isn't a penalty.

I'll be interested to read the arguments against the 24".

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I would go the 24 for sure. Mark shoots a 20 inch Remmy 700 and I shoot an FN SPR with 24 inch barrel and I feel the performance improvement is enough to deal with the extra length and weight. I have an easier time at 1,300 than Mark with his 20 inch gun. But he can make hits, it just more of a struggle. Even with a can, I would go 24. I think at 1000 yards he is at 11.5 mils vs my 10, if my memory serves me.

Best of luck.

PB
    Last edited by Pappabear; 12-04-18 at 18:40.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    I don't think that there is any real reason to go past 18-20 inches with a 308. Sure you pick up some velocity, but in reality you are so far behind a 6/6.5CM it really doesn't matter. I guess you could get the 24 incher and then cut it back when you get one of the optimized barrels. That way you have a more compact and harder hitting option (out to 1000 yards) with the 308 and a true long range set up with a 24-26 6/6.5CM.

Congrats on the AI AT. Nice rifles. I'm still back in AICS stocks. I have a ACC-SD in one now, which is why I'm partial to shorter barrels. We cheat a little with thin air up here, but we make up for in longer shots and wicked winds.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    I would go the 24 for sure. Mark shoots a 20 inch Remmy 700 and I shoot an FN SPR with 24 inch barrel and I feel the performance improvement is enough to deal with the extra length and weight. I have an easier time at 1,300 than Mark with his 20 inch gun. But he can make hits, it just more of a struggle. Even with a can, I would go 24. I think at 1000 yards he is at 11.5 mils vs my 10, if my memory serves me.

Best of luck.

PB
    I get similar with my short 308, a 19" 700. My calc shows 11.3 mils at 1k. I suspect I shoot at a little higher altitude than Mark and PB. I would go 24" because further than 1k it becomes more of a struggle.

Feedback Score
    You got me looking again at ATs.

Deals at Mile HIgh:
    https://www.milehighshooting.com/acc...free-sain-kit/

I don't understand the details on the firing pin hole. Issues with smaller primer rounds or 6.5CM in particular or something?
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by FromMyColdDeadHand View Post
    You got me looking again at ATs.

Deals at Mile HIgh:
    https://www.milehighshooting.com/acc...free-sain-kit/

I don't understand the details on the firing pin hole. Issues with smaller primer rounds or 6.5CM in particular or something?
    Yeah it has to do with smaller primers and hot loading. Guys are piercing primers on their 6.5 CM with the big firing pin. Its not a guarantee you will but there is basically no way to tell if yours will or not.

With the LE/MIL discount at Mile High, a new (small pin) non folding AT is almost that price and a folder is just over 4k.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    If my 20 wore out, I'd be pressed to pick a length. I love the size of the 20", and can still reach out to 1300, but the efficiency of the longer barrel is undeniable.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    20” plus can is a good length. My 26” gun with can is unwieldy to say the least. My local smith swears by his 16.5 or 18” 6.5 builds for a handy 308 beater.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    A 20 inch gun feels like a Carbine to me. I had a Rem 700 5R and loved it. If my max range was 800 ish I might try a 16.5
    Even though I smacked 1000 yards with my LMT MWS many of times with a 16 inch barrel. Just depends on how you want to motar targets.
    It’s all personal preference.
    PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast