Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Brownells Colt 605 repro up for pre-order

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by pipboy344 View Post
    Here was the reply: “The 605 was done in two variants, the 605A (the model we're emulating with the forward assist upper) and the 605B, which had a M16A1 style upper, but the forward assist machined off. We don't plan on producing the 605B style upper.”
    I sent Paul Levy the following reply:

In the VickersGuide AR-15, Vol. 1, page 171, Augee Kim states,

“Some Model 605s, such as this example, were built with unusual upper receivers – though the upper receiver assemblies did not have forward assists, the “hump” in the location of the forward assist is clearly visible and has been milled flat. This style of upper receiver has been colloquially, but incorrectly, referred to in the enthusiast circles as the “605” upper, because of its use on some Model 605 carbines. In fact, this style of upper receiver was used by Colt primarily to manufacture M16 (Model 604) rifles for the Air Force. Because the M16A1 was being manufactured in far greater numbers than the M16, Colt obtained permission from the U.S. Government to use M16A1 receiver forgings, and to simply mill off the forward assist “hump” during the machining process in order to expedite deliveries when the M16 upper receiver forgings were in short supply or not available.”

Differences in the Model 605A and 605B are as follows:

Model 605A - 3-Way Fire Control Group (Safe, Semi, Auto)
    Model 605B - 4-Way Fire Control Group (Safe, Semi, Burst, Auto)

Colt Model 605 Upper Variations:
    The Colt Model 605 was built using both a Standard Slickside Upper, and a Colt model 603 Upper which had the Forward Assist machined off leaving a raised hump on the receiver where the Forward Assist should have been.

The VickersGuide picture showing the Model 605A with a forward assist may be a prototype version. If the pictures of the 605A and 605B are from Reed Knight’s collection, they could be prototypes as I suggested.

Trust me, to have the BRN-605 using the slickside upper would be correct. Anyone looking for a 605 wants it to look correct and to have one with a 603 upper with a forward assist is not correct. Augee knows his stuff when it comes to vintage M16s and carbines.

When I undertook the task of building my 605 clone a few years ago, I did the research to make sure I did it as right as I could. I used an original M16 (Model 604) upper receiver and an original Colt 1/12 barrel. The barrel assembly was worked by John Thomas (Retro Arms Works). The stock, handguards, pistol grip, and many internals are all original Colt parts. It does have a Nodak Spud partial-fence lower receiver.

No production 605s (A or B) had a forward assist.
    Last edited by Renegade04; 11-30-18 at 16:13.
    "A Bad Day At The Range Is Better Than A Great Day Working"

USMC Force Recon 1978-1984
    US Air Force Res. 1995-2004 (Air Transportation)
    M16/AR15 shooter since 1978, gun collector and AR builder since 2004

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade04 View Post
    I sent Paul Levy the following reply:

In the VickersGuide AR-15, Vol. 1, page 171, Augee Kim states,

“Some Model 605s, such as this example, were built with unusual upper receivers – though the upper receiver assemblies did not have forward assists, the “hump” in the location of the forward assist is clearly visible and has been milled flat. This style of upper receiver has been colloquially, but incorrectly, referred to in the enthusiast circles as the “605” upper, because of its use on some Model 605 carbines. In fact, this style of upper receiver was used by Colt primarily to manufacture M16 (Model 604) rifles for the Air Force. Because the M16A1 was being manufactured in far greater numbers than the M16, Colt obtained permission from the U.S. Government to use M16A1 receiver forgings, and to simply mill off the forward assist “hump” during the machining process in order to expedite deliveries when the M16 upper receiver forgings were in short supply or not available.”

Differences in the Model 605A and 605B are as follows:

Model 605A - 3-Way Fire Control Group (Safe, Semi, Auto)
    Model 605B - 4-Way Fire Control Group (Safe, Semi, Burst, Auto)

Colt Model 605 Upper Variations:
    The Colt Model 605 was built using both a Standard Slickside Upper, and a Colt model 603 Upper which had the Forward Assist machined off leaving a raised hump on the receiver where the Forward Assist should have been.

The VickersGuide picture showing the Model 605A with a forward assist may be a prototype version. If the pictures of the 605A and 605B are from Reed Knight’s collection, they could be prototypes as I suggested.

Trust me, to have the BRN-605 using the slickside upper would be correct. Anyone looking for a 605 wants it to look correct and to have one with a 603 upper with a forward assist is not correct. Augee knows his stuff when it comes to vintage M16s and carbines.

When I undertook the task of building my 605 clone a few years ago, I did the research to make sure I did it as right as I could. I used an original M16 (Model 604) upper receiver and an original Colt 1/12 barrel. The barrel assembly was worked by John Thomas (Retro Arms Works). The stock, handguards, pistol grip, and many internals are all original Colt parts. It does have a Nodak Spud partial-fence lower receiver.

No production 605s (A or B) had a forward assist.
    so we will have to buy a slick side upper and swap it and build a xm16e1 while we are at it
    "Guns are tools; people are the real weapons!"
    - Anonymous
    "The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
    - Albert Einstein
    “An armed society is a polite society.”
    - Robert Heinlein

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ClassIIIGunsmith View Post
    so we will have to buy a slick side upper and swap it and build a xm16e1 while we are at it
    There is an idea.
    "A Bad Day At The Range Is Better Than A Great Day Working"

USMC Force Recon 1978-1984
    US Air Force Res. 1995-2004 (Air Transportation)
    M16/AR15 shooter since 1978, gun collector and AR builder since 2004

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade04 View Post
    That would be a good one to own. It is good to see that they did go the distance and open up the gas port as needed. They really should be using a slickside upper receiver. Hopefully, that is something they will change. I built mine a few years back. John Thomas of Retro Arms Works did the work on the barrel assembly.

I really do like this one and as usual you did a great job with this Jim. One of these days you'll have to explain to me please the significance of the triangle and square stampings.

Thanks again for all your contributions.
    Never forget every word you spoke when you took your oath of office.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pipboy344 View Post
    Here was the reply: “The 605 was done in two variants, the 605A (the model we're emulating with the forward assist upper) and the 605B, which had a M16A1 style upper, but the forward assist machined off. We don't plan on producing the 605B style upper.”
    I initially did mine with the assistance of Mr. John Thomas whom has assisted me in experimenting with the size of gas port. I had him cut a 20" new Brownells pencil barrel down to 16.1" with running an initial .107 gas port, pending an enlargement to .110 depending on it's performance in "cold weather". I was not able to get it to the range in our last good cold spell but actually I'm wanting to get out there when we're in the low 40(s) at least. May take a while for this to happen.

I built mine with Brownells retro upper and lower using the partial fence lower and slick side upper (and their slick side chrome BCG) although in black as that was all they had when I was finally ready to put it together. Very easy assembly and tolerances were very good to the extent the third torquing of the barrel nut it stopped perfectly at 38 lbs. with the gas tube hole perfectly aligned. A lot of you will know that this does NOT always happen ... LOL

I have since purchased the Brownells "gray" receivers and will make the changeover a bit later. For now what I have will serve as a mock-up until I settle on the gas port size. I used a 1-7" twist barrel with a Fulton Armory set-screw front sight gas block.

My other two "Dissipators" are mid length gas with the faux front sight.
    Last edited by GRA556; 12-01-18 at 10:44.
    Never forget every word you spoke when you took your oath of office.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GRA556 View Post
    I initially did mine with the assistance of Mr. John Thomas whom has assisted me in experimenting with the size of gas port. I had him cut a 20" new Brownells pencil barrel down to 16.1" with running an initial .107 gas port, pending an enlargement to .110 depending on it's performance in "cold weather". I was not able to get it to the range in our last good cold spell but actually I'm wanting to get out there when we're in the low 40(s) at least. May take a while for this to happen.

I built mine with Brownells retro upper and lower using the partial fence lower and slick side upper (and their slick side chrome BCG) although in black as that was all they had when I was finally ready to put it together. Very easy assembly and tolerances were very good to the extent the third torquing of the barrel nut it stopped perfectly at 38 lbs. with the gas tube hole perfectly aligned. A lot of you will know that this does NOT always happen ... LOL

I have since purchased the Brownells "gray" receivers and will make the changeover a bit later. For now what I have will serve as a mock-up until I settle on the gas port size. I used a 1-7" twist barrel with a Fulton Armory set-screw front sight gas block.

My other two "Dissipators" are mid length gas with the faux front sight.
    I did a similar thing to you but ended up getting my hands on the now impossible to find .300blk dizzy barrel and made it a 605 inspired build67BCE5BD-BFB6-44B7-B103-719A790E79D6.jpg, yes my SP1 Camo furniture covers are on it because I was playing with it.
    "Guns are tools; people are the real weapons!"
    - Anonymous
    "The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
    - Albert Einstein
    “An armed society is a polite society.”
    - Robert Heinlein

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    If I get one....I’d plunk on a CAR stock and a vintage Colt scope
    Last edited by Firefly; 12-08-18 at 08:40.

Feedback Score
    I have a CHIPs 16" carbine with full-length handguards; it really makes a great setup for using the iron sights.
    Moon

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Per their communications with me, Brownells is indeed planning to sell the barrel assembly separately. “Likely eventually.” Those were their words.

Feedback Score
    Looking to get a 605 upper down the road
    Ducti Amore Patriae

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12