Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1911 Receiver

Feedback Score
    Frame and slide: Its hard to beat Caspain. I've tried cheaper and won't again. The high dollar guy's frames and slides offer the same thing as Caspain for more money.

Small parts ... define small parts

Have used Clark, Nowlin and Kart barrels and liked all three, the Clark and Nowlin in 38 super and the Kart in 45acp. All worked well. Safeties, Ed Brown usually gets my money. Caspain, EGW, Wilson and others for trigger control parts, using a Caspain hammer I once got one of my 38 super race guns down to 19 ounces of pull weight .... I didn't leave it like that.

Best of luck!

Quote Originally Posted by murphy j View Post
    I no longer know who the quality players are now. So, if one of you were to build a frame up gun, comprised of parts from different makers, what frame would you use and why? I would also be interested in your thoughts on the variety of small part manufacturers that are out there.
    "You might shoot better with a better gun, but a better gun doesn't make you a better shooter" ....... (me)

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Gentleman, thank you for the information. It seems that the players I was familiar with in the past are still considered quality. A couple names were not on my radar, namely Harrison and Fusion. I had not heard of Harrison in regards to small parts, but was aware of him as a builder, and was unsure of Fusion quality. I had read a number of differing accounts on their product. I was, and still am, leaning towards Caspian for frame/slide, but would love to get my hands on a surplus 779 slide to mate to a Caspian frame. I've seen numerous builds start with those parts, they took some work to fit, but were excellent builds. Again, Thank you. I appreciate the input.

Feedback Score
    Sounds like you are on the right track, and based on your previous post it also sounds like this isn't your first rodeo in the build arena. Heck, this topic has got me to looking at the possibilities!

Timing might also be on your side right now. The 1911 market (whole gun market really) seems to be getting softer by the day. Hopefully that equates to you being able to source want you want a bit easier and more cost effectively.

Good luck and enjoy the ride!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    it also sounds like this isn't your first rodeo in the build arena.
    It is not. My first one was a steep learning curve as it was an inferior product my smith was trying to get to run reliably. The second was a complete 180 from that one. I'm in no hurry on this one. I will take my time finding the major components I want at a price I'm willing to tolerate.

Feedback Score
    Go ahead and do it...……..take your time, use quality parts and don't hesitate to farm something out ...you might not feel comfortable with.....I highly rec Caspian frame and slide as a starting point...…..or maybe a used colt and step it up to your satisfaction...…….

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 6mmAR15 View Post
    Go ahead and do it...……..take your time, use quality parts and don't hesitate to farm something out ...you might not feel comfortable with.....I highly rec Caspian frame and slide as a starting point...…..or maybe a used colt and step it up to your satisfaction...…….
    That's the intent. I've seen many an excellent build on a Caspian frame. Purchased an unused, post-68, mil spec National Match slide as a start. I would prefer a TZ marked 7790314, but the NM slide popped up so I jumped. The TZ slides are rarer than hens teeth these days.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12