Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1911 Receiver

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

1911 Receiver

Like many of you, I have a soft spot for the 1911. It's the iconic military pistol I grew up seeing as a kid, and was the first pistol I was issued on Active Duty. I have had a couple guns built for me in the past that, sadly, I no longer have. The bug has kinda bitten me of late and I have been looking at the different parts currently available. While doing this I came to the realization that outside of a few makers, I no longer know who the quality players are now. So, if one of you were to build a frame up gun, comprised of parts from different makers, what frame would you use and why? I would also be interested in your thoughts on the variety of small part manufacturers that are out there.

Feedback Score
    My first question would be the "why"? Meaning do you want to roll your own for the sake of learning/enjoyment with a truly unique to you gun or is it the thought of saving some pennies by building it yourself?

If it's the former then be all means charge on. It can be a lot of fun and very educational to do so. But if its the latter, well then be prepared to accept the fact that it can quickly amount to more money than a quality off the shelf gun costs in most cases.

But with that being said,
    Caspian frame and slide customized to my tastes (not sure if they still do custom orders, it's been awhile since I looked)
    Kart barrel
    Wilson grip safety
    Harrison True radius ignition set/ thumb safety
    C&S pin set/small parts
    Wilson Bullet proof for for all other parts needed.

This really only scratches the surface on the overall picture though. Factor in tools, grips, sights, finish types, etc. into the costs. Plus shipping and transfer fees.

Hope this helps some and good luck, it can be a fun project.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    ^^Spot on.
    Harrison’s hammer/sear/disconnect are amazingly consistent and best in class.

I’d add; quality option for Wilson/C&S parts is EGW.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    My first question would be the "why"? Meaning do you want to roll your own for the sake of learning/enjoyment with a truly unique to you gun or is it the thought of saving some pennies by building it yourself?

If it's the former then be all means charge on. It can be a lot of fun and very educational to do so. But if its the latter, well then be prepared to accept the fact that it can quickly amount to more money than a quality off the shelf gun costs in most cases.

But with that being said,
    Caspian frame and slide customized to my tastes (not sure if they still do custom orders, it's been awhile since I looked)
    Kart barrel
    Wilson grip safety
    Harrison True radius ignition set/ thumb safety
    C&S pin set/small parts
    Wilson Bullet proof for for all other parts needed.

This really only scratches the surface on the overall picture though. Factor in tools, grips, sights, finish types, etc. into the costs. Plus shipping and transfer fees.

Hope this helps some and good luck, it can be a fun project.
    This is for my own personal satisfaction and a long term deal that I will spend some time hunting down specific parts. The last build I had done, to my specs/parts I chose, I was forced to part with quite a number of years back and have missed it ever since. Since then I've only had 9mm Glocks/HKs. I realize I would likely spend more in the hunt for parts than if I bought something off the shelf. Your parts recommendations are pretty much in line with my prior knowledge and I was leaning towards the Caspian frame, or a Springfield Armory NM frame if I can get my hands on one. I used a surplus 7790314 replacement slide with a Springfield NM frame from the early 90s on that last build. Unfortunately, the 7790314 replacement slides when have pretty much dried up. The last TZ marked one I came across, I missed the winning bid by $2. I had BarSto barrels in my previous guns, but don't know if they maintained their quality since the move, so was leaning towards Kart as it's an excellent barrel.

I appreciate the replies. Thank you.

Feedback Score
    My advice would be to take a class.
    "When I have your wounded." -- Major Charles L. Kelly, callsign "Dustoff", refusing to acknowledge that an L.Z. was too hot, moments before being killed by a single shot, July 1st, 1964.

Black Lives Matter. All confederate symbols and monuments need to go.
    Proud to live in a sanctuary city.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammer Six View Post
    My advice would be to take a class.
    Indeed. Are Larry Vickers or Bill Lauridge still teaching their 1911 classes?

Feedback Score
    I don't know about them.

I spent several years trying to figure it out on the net, then I took a class from Bob Rodgers.
    "When I have your wounded." -- Major Charles L. Kelly, callsign "Dustoff", refusing to acknowledge that an L.Z. was too hot, moments before being killed by a single shot, July 1st, 1964.

Black Lives Matter. All confederate symbols and monuments need to go.
    Proud to live in a sanctuary city.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    You can find Colt 70 and 80 frames on Gunbroker for about twice what I'd pay. Every once in a while you can find a Springfield Armory.

Fusion (billet) and Caspian (cast) frames are very good. Foster is a Caspian second and the prices are usually very good. Those three will take a little work but are sound foundations without breaking the bank. We made lots of pistols at the USAMU for various military customers.

There are perhaps half a dozen or more other frames from various manufacturers available through Brownells, and each has some subtle differences. Most are set up for a beaver-tail grip safety as opposed to a GI-type.

Lots of Colt parts available on Amazon, ebay, and Gunbroker. Do price comparing.

I use a lot of parts from John Harrison, EGW, and Cylinder and Slide. My guns mostly look like GI pistols externally.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Build on Colt Government or Spingfield MILSPEC NM as a base and perform part exchanges so you can fit each piece and have a functioning pistol. Shoot the gun and determine what your needs are if you don't have an idea. If you already plan on machine work as in checkering, sight cuts ect have the metal work done in one shot saving $ on multipule Fedex charges and finishing charges. Look at SACS if there isn't a local to you. For a full up build, it is hard to beat a Caspian slide sans the billboards. Frames can also be had from them too and fit can bemade easily with some time and effort. No exeriance wih STI ect.

Parts recommendations are Wilson with tool steel ignition components. Wilson mags and Kart barrels. I've used some Berryhill and Harrison parts without problems and specialty bushings and ejectors from EGW.

Classes are a great source of knowledge. Get the most for your $ and be financially prepared to make a second build right after class while info is still fresh in your mind and to reinforce intricate steps. I've had my eye on Bob Rodgers class now for awhile and I would attend if my work and recreation schedule would allow. The knowledged gained with a class is a great foundation for problem solving parts problems and interactions.
    Last edited by Ttwwaack; 12-09-18 at 17:11.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ttwwaack View Post
    Build on Colt Government or Spingfield MILSPEC NM as a base and perform part exchanges so you can fit each piece and have a functioning pistol. Shoot the gun and determine what your needs are if you don't have an idea. If you already plan on machine work as in checkering, sight cuts ect have the metal work done in one shot saving $ on multipule Fedex charges and finishing charges. Look at SACS if there isn't a local to you. For a full up build, it is hard to beat a Caspian slide sans the billboards. Frames can also be had from them too and fit can bemade easily with some time and effort. No exeriance wih STI ect.

Parts recommendations are Wilson with tool steel ignition components. Wilson mags and Kart barrels. I've used some Berryhill and Harrison parts without problems and specialty bushings and ejectors from EGW.

Classes are a great source of knowledge. Get the most for your $ and be financially prepared to make a second build right after class while info is still fresh in your mind and to reinforce intricate steps. I've had my eye on Bob Rodgers class now for awhile and I would attend if my work and recreation schedule would allow. The knowledged gained with a class isna great foundation for problem solving parts problems and interactions.
    This would be my advice and as it so happens is the advice I took a few years ago. I eventually got the pistol I wanted.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast