Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 7.0 earthquake Anchorage

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    Thanks for the well wishes. Other than some extensive household cleanup, 90% of 300,000 people fared just fine. Probably 10% of homes have actual structural damage. Pretty much everyone has their power back on and there are about 200 folks with gas issues. Amazingly there have been very few fires, no deaths and few injuries. For a 7.0 earthquake striking right under about 1/2 of Alaska's population, there has been remarkably little damage. Earthquakes this size usually kill dozens, if not thousands in some other countries.
    PTL, glad to hear that power has been restored to most!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    "It is better to be a Warrior in a Garden than a Gardner in a War"
    Let's use the First Amendment to protect the Second so we can avoid using the Second to protect the First.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    Thanks for the well wishes. Other than some extensive household cleanup, 90% of 300,000 people fared just fine. Probably 10% of homes have actual structural damage. Pretty much everyone has their power back on and there are about 200 folks with gas issues. Amazingly there have been very few fires, no deaths and few injuries. For a 7.0 earthquake striking right under about 1/2 of Alaska's population, there has been remarkably little damage. Earthquakes this size usually kill dozens, if not thousands in some other countries.
    That is good news. Thanks for the update.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Doug, sorry to hear about the damage to your wife's shoppe right at the height of the retail season.

Good to hear you and your's are okay along with the people of Anchorage, 7.0 is no joke.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Moose-Knuckle View Post
    Doug, sorry to hear about the damage to your wife's shoppe right at the height of the retail season.

Good to hear you and your's are okay along with the people of Anchorage, 7.0 is no joke.
    Thanks man. Her total losses were not substantial, an amazing amount of product that ended up on the floor was intact. Her sewing room didn't have any broken stuff in it, but she's on hour ten of sorting the mess out. I figured our heavy equipment shop was going to be a shambles, but only a couple things fell over.

There's a good Facebook meme running around that says if you have relatives in Anchorage AK, send them dishes for Christmas.

The other lesson many learned is that earthquake insurance is a rider on your homeowners insurance and a vast majority of people do not have it attached. I went in to work this morning to review my insurance for my business and discovered I was not covered either. Going to remedy that on Monday as this is the second 7+ earthquake my building has survived.
    Last edited by AKDoug; 12-01-18 at 17:34.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    This is how Alaskans roll... State H.S. volleyball tournament in Anchorage when the quake hits. All teams stay in town. Public school district closes all activities for four days. Private Christian school hires engineers to check their gyms out. Gives the tournament an all clear, says come on over and they are back to playing today. To top it off our local high school makes it to the championship game tonight.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12